New Front Drive Shaft - Torque Settings for Flange bolts (4) T-case bolts (4)

jk12blk

Hi eveyrone,
Purchased a new front drive shaft (type that still uses the flange at the front diff, but uses a new yolk at the t-case).
Does anyone know what the torque setting is for the 4 bolts at flange?
Also, what is the torque setting for the four bolts that secure the shaft to the yolk at the t-case?

Year is 2012 JK - not sure if that matters.

thanks!
Kleve

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Yes blue lock tight and after the lock washer is flat go just under a half a turn. You don't want to over tighten those on the u joint.

jk12blk

Local Jeep dealership says 89 ft lbs for the 4 bolts at the front diff flange. Going with that number. Locktite enabled. Ready to go. Thx everyone.

Sent from mobile

jk12blk

By the way, how do you get a torque wrench on the t-case 4 yolk bolts? No room in there. I just hand wrench tighten and guess 17 ft lbs. hope it's good! Is there a mini torque wrench?

GraniteCrystal

Bump. Need to know and nothing definitive here. 17 ft lbs sounds more like the original 8 bolts. Now that it's just 4 bolts, 89 ft lbs sounds more accurate. Can someone confirm?

WJCO

Meme King
Bump. Need to know and nothing definitive here. 17 ft lbs sounds more like the original 8 bolts. Now that it's just 4 bolts, 89 ft lbs sounds more accurate. Can someone confirm?

No way it's 89. I'd guess closer to 20 is more accurate. Honestly with driveshaft bolts, I just do a drop of locktite and tighten them down good. Check them after 100 miles to be safe.

Edit: I retract that. I just went and looked at ours. I remember them being much smaller. Looks like they're a 12mm, so they could be that high. Again though, I've always put a drop of locktite and tightened them.

That link above says 81.

IMG_20170226_143610_020.jpg

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

No way it's 89. I'd guess closer to 20 is more accurate. Honestly with driveshaft bolts, I just do a drop of locktite and tighten them down good. Check them after 100 miles to be safe.

Edit: I retract that. I just went and looked at ours. I remember them being much smaller. Looks like they're a 12mm, so they could be that high. Again though, I've always put a drop of locktite and tightened them.

That link above says 81.

View attachment 245914
Yeah, looked at Adams driveshaft instructions and they say there's no specified torque so use plenty of red Loktite.

I put a bunch on there and am tightening down to 80ft lbs. Same amount as I'll do on the front bolts.

Thanks Doug.

EDIT: screw it, I can't get a torque wrench on them anyway. Just gonna crank them down without going to hard on them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom