Frustrated!!

jamo922

I recently bought a 2010 Wrangler JKU in Ohio. Took it to a local Jeep dealer to get inspected in my home state of Pennsylvania. The dealer says I need $2000 worth of work. The rear brakes and rotors are “falling apart”, E-brake pads, ball joints, and axel joints all need replaced to pass the state inspection. Since I purchased a vehicle a month ago, I called the dealer and Ohio. He doubted that all of that actually need it done. So they picked up the jeep and took it back to Ohio.
The Ohio guy calls me and tells me I’ve been duped. The rear brakes were fine at 6:32 of an inch. The rotors were fine as well. The ball joints we’re OK. They are replacing one of the axle joints and the E brake pads. Then he says he’ll take it across the border and have it inspected for me before returning it.
Now on one hand I’m glad they are taking care of the work and getting it inspected for me. On the other hand I don’t know which dealer to believe? Is my local guy trying to rip me off because he knew I bought it out of state or is the Ohio guy just trying to get out of replacing some parts that are borderline?
Obviously I need a safe vehicle But being a very novice mechanic myself I wouldn’t know Which parts are bad to look at them. Very frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Now on one hand I’m glad they are taking care of the work and getting it inspected for me. On the other hand I don’t know which dealer to believe? Is my local guy trying to rip me off because he knew I bought it out of state or is the Ohio guy just trying to get out of replacing some parts that are borderline?
Obviously I need a safe vehicle But being a very novice mechanic myself I wouldn’t know Which parts are bad to look at them.

To answer your question, both. Get educated on your vehicle or continue to be a victim. Simple as that.

WJCO

Meme King
To answer your question, both. Get educated on your vehicle or continue to be a victim. Simple as that.

^This. Especially with write-ups on this forum and the world of YouTube, there are so many things you can easily do yourself and save money.

jamo922

Ok so two mechanics with combined years of experience longer than I’ve been alive and I’m supposed to learn more than them by watching YouTube or something? I get that I should educate myself and I do with each issue that arises but aside from changing professions to become a mechanic I’m not sure what I can do to learn what parts need replaced and which ones don’t. The biggest job I’ve ever done myself is brakes and rotors and I was mighty proud of that. May not seem like much to most of you but it was for me. Anyways thanks. I just need a trustworthy mechanic.

jamo922

^This. Especially with write-ups on this forum and the world of YouTube, there are so many things you can easily do yourself and save money.

I did watch some videos on the parts that the original dealer said needed replaced. None of that looked easy. By the time I buy the tools and find a space to do the work, I could pay someone—IF the part needs replaced in the first place which is my first question. Mechanics can be shady especially in PA with the inspection standards here. I’m guessing there’s a lot of subjectivity when they’re assessing bad parts.

jesse3638

Hooked
Ok so two mechanics with combined years of experience longer than I’ve been alive and I’m supposed to learn more than them by watching YouTube or something? I get that I should educate myself and I do with each issue that arises but aside from changing professions to become a mechanic I’m not sure what I can do to learn what parts need replaced and which ones don’t. The biggest job I’ve ever done myself is brakes and rotors and I was mighty proud of that. May not seem like much to most of you but it was for me. Anyways thanks. I just need a trustworthy mechanic.

There are a few members who I'm sure for the low low price of beer would help you out. Working on and modding your jeep is all part of owning one, not just wheeling it.

Edit: If you were CA I'd say come on over and use my garage and tools. You wouldn't be the first.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Mcollins443

You don’t need to know more than them you just need to learn basic maintenance and repairs for your jeep. Especially inspecting components. It will save you a lot of money in repairs and will prevent you from getting ripped off. You don’t need to change professions and become a mechanic to maintain your vehicle.i am a mechanic but I always encourage people to learn how to maintain their vehicle.

jesse3638

Hooked
You don’t need to know more than them you just need to learn basic maintenance and repairs for your jeep. Especially inspecting components. It will save you a lot of money in repairs and will prevent you from getting ripped off. You don’t need to change professions and become a mechanic to maintain your vehicle.i am a mechanic but I always encourage people to learn how to maintain their vehicle.

^^^This^^^ I always try to do anything (vehicle maintenance, home improvement, computer repair, etc) myself before hiring someone. If you succeed not only do you save some money but you learn a new skill and have a sense of accomplishment.

Brute

Hooked
Good mechanics are like good doctors or dentists...when you find one, you keep them for life...

Mcollins443

^^^This^^^ I always try to do anything (vehicle maintenance, home improvement, computer repair, etc) myself before hiring someone. If you succeed not only do you save some money but you learn a new skill and have a sense of accomplishment.

Exactly. I try to do all repairs on everything at our house. The worst that happens is you brake something and have to pay someone which you would’ve done anyways if you didn’t try yourself.

sipafz

Caught the Bug

Sorry you didn’t like my answer, but truth be told, there’s a lot more to owning a Wrangler than driving around with the top down on the weekends. Buying new and keeping it on the street will minimize the need for extensive maintenance, but since you bought used, you should start investing in some tools, learn what you can from this forum and ask for help when needed. If you’re planning on using your Jeep off-road then you might want to consider a career change [emoji6]. All kidding aside, for the time being you might want to try an independent for your inspections. It’s been my experience that independents are more frugal than dealerships. Maybe some of the PA guys will chime in with a recommendation or you could start a separate thread and ask.

Top Bottom