Turo? Has anyone used this?

Hey guys, I don't know if you've ever heard of Turo but for those of you who don't know what it is, it's an app that lets you "rent" out your vehicle to people. I downloaded the app a few months ago and never really expected to get someone to rent out my Jeep but this week someone wanted to! I don't know whether to be excited to make an easy $130 or scared that he'll wreck it. Turo does cover insurance up to $1,000,000 so I don't think it'll be too bad. I also have a dash cam coming in to make sure I'll be covered in any situation. What're your thoughts? I figure if I'm not driving the Jeep that weekend, it's easy money and gives the people the opportunity to drive a nice Jeep.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Ive watched some good and bad experience videos on youtube about people who rent out their stuff. One guy started to "profile" his people just incase, yeah well that ended in $3000 in damage to the car cuz the guy hit a bush or something with the car. I would think most people looking to rent a jeep want it to look cool, just make sure they dont try and wheel it.

jesse3638

Hooked
I recently saw this app too and was curious as my Jeep spends most of the time in the garage. Honestly I think you'd be able to tell right away someone's intentions when they show up, could be wrong though. Mine being a manual I'd be more fearful of someone smoking the clutch..haha. Keep us posted.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

ihaveemerged

I’ve rented a vehicle through there almost two years ago. I rented a 6 year old Range Rover for 5 days in LA. I picked it up and the AC wasn’t working ( not great in 85+ degree weather) and it was making what I thought was an odd noise but was running fine. My last few days I was staying in the Beverly Hills Hotel and didn’t use the car until we were leaving the last day. The valet brought the car around and when I started it smoke started billowing out of the engine bay and fluid sprayed everywhere. A little embarrassing having your vehicle do that on the red carpet with High end cars everywhere.

I had to leave the car at the hotel and get and Uber to the airport. I ended up going back and forth between Turo and the owner of the vehicle for weeks. They were trying to barge me thousands for repairs when the car was a piece of shit that wasn’t maintained properly.

After several months I was let off the hook as they ruled it wasn’t my fault however I never received any of my money bag for renting a embarrassing lemon.

I don’t think I’ll be using them again. As for renting my vehicle, hells no! Last thing I need is someone taking my mall crawler rock crawling for the day;)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
I could see someone using 4lo for the first time and getting it stuck in the middle of nowhere...or worse

fiend

Caught the Bug
To me, for a 130 bucks, it’s not worth the risk that your renter will damage your jeep subjecting you to the hassle and stress of dealing with the insurance co. Anyone who’s dealt with an insurance company knows their m.o. is to deny and fight claims until the claimant gives up.

Yep I have had all the same concerns you guys do. If it goes well, I'll probably keep renting it out. If it goes poorly, I'll deal with the consequences and never do it again.

Ive watched some good and bad experience videos on youtube about people who rent out their stuff. One guy started to "profile" his people just incase, yeah well that ended in $3000 in damage to the car cuz the guy hit a bush or something with the car. I would think most people looking to rent a jeep want it to look cool, just make sure they dont try and wheel it.

Yeah that's the reason I have a dash cam, if they wheel it, I'll know and can get compensated for it.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I can’t imagine being in a situation where I would consider doing this. All kidding aside, maybe you should reconsider just selling your Jeep [emoji848].

I can’t imagine being in a situation where I would consider doing this. All kidding aside, maybe you should reconsider just selling your Jeep [emoji848].

I messaged the guy and he seems like a good person, he says that he is in the market for a Jeep but wanted to try one out for the weekend. I figure if I can help someone into buying a Jeep, I did good for the community. Hopefully karma will work its way around in a good way though!

Brute

Hooked
Maybe I can rent your jeep for a week this summer when I do the Rubicon and Fordyce...it would save the wear and tear on my rig...do you deliver to the South Lake Tahoe area?

jesse3638

Hooked
I messaged the guy and he seems like a good person, he says that he is in the market for a Jeep but wanted to try one out for the weekend. I figure if I can help someone into buying a Jeep, I did good for the community. Hopefully karma will work its way around in a good way though!
That could be a good way to get into a Jeep. I always thought about Uber off-road.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Maybe I can rent your jeep for a week this summer when I do the Rubicon and Fordyce...it would save the wear and tear on my rig...do you deliver to the South Lake Tahoe area?

Turo’s rules state that taking it off road or reckless driving is prohibited and if they do it I’ll be compensated for damage and they won’t be able to use Turo again

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
This sounds like a great deal if you have a beater you could care less about but a terrible idea for a vehicle you consider a prized possession. They will treat it like a 2 dollar whore!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jeeeep

Hooked
nope.. I've seen what people do to the rental vehicles.

1,000,000 liability insurance lol..in today's society that's minimal.

for $130 not worth it. Sure they may fix any damages but I'm betting the process is far from smooth and quick and they do not cover aftermarket parts - read their insurance policy.

you're probably opening yourself up to some sort of liability in renting a modified Jeep.

Top Bottom