Please, lie to me- Tell me I'll be happy with 33s

Okay, I'm losing my mind.

Still a fairly new Jeeper (09' Sahara, Sunburst Orange), but running out of patience. I didn't have an extra 10k to build out the Jeep I just bought for 18k, and was already going broke renovating house that I've also had less than a year. 2017 was a real financial drain. Lol

SO. Got a couple of new bumpers & a winch, but been putting off tires/wheels because of additional $$$ needed for lift & new gears (I have 3.73s). I'm still few months away from being able to afford gearing, though, and I don't want to miss whole summer of some good offroad trips in the meantime. Everyone likes to say how "capable" my stock Jeep is, but there's a reason so many people are selling their stock 18" wheels with 31" tires on Craigslist. And, no matter what kinds of 'skills' you might have, there's still only so many obstacles/trails you can clear while running stock.

So, getting a little impatient. And it really doesn't help now that I park in between my father and another co-worker every day, both of whom recently got 3.5-4 inch lifts and 35s. Bastards.

This is my DD, and my work commute is around 70 miles (round trip) M-F, mainly highway. That said, I'm trying to convince myself that 33s would be more reasonable than 35s... at least for now. However, I want to build to accommodate 35s.

So, I have the Tereflex 2.5" coil lift and some Rock Krawler adjustable LCA's on the way and I'm supposed to be meeting this local dude tomorrow to buy his tires/wheels. They are BFG KM2 285/75/16s on Level 8 Trackers. He's asking 1200 and they only have around 4k miles on them. And I believe he only has a 2"lift in his pics (green jk).

Am I going to look like a tool on 33s with a 2.5" lift? Am I going to hate my life running BFG MT's on my daily driver? Am I still going to feel like an idiot parking next to the '35 club' at work?

Worst case, I wear these used BFG's out... And by then I'll have money for regear, along with lift and wheels to fit 35s- only thing I'll have to buy is new shoes.

So. Should I pull the trigger on these wheels/tires tomorrow, and go ahead with installing the lift next weekend?

Screenshot_20180412-213619.jpg Screenshot_20180417-060918.jpg 20170616_184454.jpg 20180416_172343.jpg Screenshot_20180413-234113.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
You will be extremely happy with your 33s! I was very happy with mine.....WAIT I’m running 40s now! Must not have been happy with 33s, 35s or my old 37s!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Umm.....welcome?

If you’re already comparing your jeep to others w/35s then don’t settle for 33s. Save your money and build what you want the first time. It just doesn’t make any sense to waste money on something you’re ultimately not going to be happy with in the long run. It shouldn’t matter what size tires and stuff other jeepers have on their rigs. What really matters is how YOU drive it and what your needs are. And the truth is, even if you got 35s, you’ll get the bug and want to go 37s.... then 40s... and so on. I’m not saying go straight to 40s by any means, but if you want 35s as a base, then build it with 35s from the get go. Just my opinion.

Umm.....welcome?

If you’re already comparing your jeep to others w/35s then don’t settle for 33s. Save your money and build what you want the first time. It just doesn’t make any sense to waste money on something you’re ultimately not going to be happy with in the long run. It shouldn’t matter what size tires and stuff other jeepers have on their rigs. What really matters is how YOU drive it and what your needs are. And the truth is, even if you got 35s, you’ll get the bug and want to go 37s.... then 40s... and so on. I’m not saying go straight to 40s by any means, but if you want 35s as a base, then build it with 35s from the get go. Just my opinion.

I hear you. I guess that's just it - I'm going ahead and planning build around 35s, because I know I will want to make the jump. Only thing holding me back on going straight to them is regearing cost. Some say it isn't so bad with 3.73's, but I'm pretty confident performance and mpg will take a noticeable hit.

However, instead of sitting around waiting until I can do EVERYTHING- regear, tires, wheels, lift- at the same time, I'd like to start building. I like the Level 8 trackers and planned on going with 16s with 35s anyway, lift already being shipped, and tires wear out... So, really just wanting to know if the 33s/2.5 lift setup is something other people run and/or like on a 4dr because it's surely gotta be better than running stock until I swap gears.

Our member Dempsey, on his stock Sahara wheels & tires. A side by side had just flipped in the same hole.

View attachment 299681
View attachment 299682
View attachment 299683

I will admit- first time out, I was surprised by Jeep's stock capabilities. But, there were still a lot of areas where I just really needed a little more clearance and/or better grip/wider footprint to keep up. Just get annoyed being the only one getting hung up on some stupid log or something that everyone else is rolling right over. Lol

Brute

Hooked
I hear you. I guess that's just it - I'm going ahead and planning build around 35s, because I know I will want to make the jump. Only thing holding me back on going straight to them is regearing cost. Some say it isn't so bad with 3.73's, but I'm pretty confident performance and mpg will take a noticeable hit.

However, instead of sitting around waiting until I can do EVERYTHING- regear, tires, wheels, lift- at the same time, I'd like to start building. I like the Level 8 trackers and planned on going with 16s with 35s anyway, lift already being shipped, and tires wear out... So, really just wanting to know if the 33s/2.5 lift setup is something other people run and/or like on a 4dr because it's surely gotta be better than running stock until I swap gears.

Yes, you will notice a performance lag...but it will be bearable until you can afford to regear...

jdofmemi

I was just out with a group and the Jeep in front of me was on 33s, while everyone else had 35s or 37s.
He went everywhere the rest of us did, but sometimes needed a different line, or a couple of rocks stacked.

Get the 33s, and wheel it. By the time you wear them down, you may even decide that you want to skip to 37s or something like that.

Also, if you don't like them you can sell them and get the 35s, but you will be out there having more fun than stock right away

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I was just out with a group and the Jeep in front of me was on 33s, while everyone else had 35s or 37s.
He went everywhere the rest of us did, but sometimes needed a different line, or a couple of rocks stacked.

Get the 33s, and wheel it. By the time you wear them down, you may even decide that you want to skip to 37s or something like that.

Also, if you don't like them you can sell them and get the 35s, but you will be out there having more fun than stock right away

Not bad advice, at all. Make the budget work, or just save for upgrades later. Lots of people get way into debt modding, and wind up selling.

avstec

If you are just planning on running 33s for a short period of time, save yourself some money and buy some rubicon take offs. Depending on your area you can find them cheap. Sold mine for 500 canadian which is like 5 bucks us.[emoji6]. Plus hang around this joint too long and you will be wanting 37s or 40s[emoji16].

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

-AINOKEA-

Hooked

^^^ this also wouldn’t be a bad idea either. Now that I think of it, while you may initially have a performance lag with the 33s, it would give you time to save up for the regear as you mentioned and 35s at the same time. That way you can gear it for the 35s when the time comes. Gearing for 35s while still having the 33s I think would be painful. Sorry my brain isn’t exactly firing on all cylinders today.

That's what I'm thinking. I've heard a few ppl say 35s are tolerable with 3.73 gears in the short term, on the highway- off road is a different story. Im already seeing a loss with added weight of steel bumpers and 13k winch.

Which is why I'm wondering if the 33s wouldn't actually be a better option. I mean why jump to 35s without a regear if I'm still gonna struggle off road- only with power as opposed to clearance on 31s. At least with the 33s, I keep some power and gain a little more clearance, instead of trading one for the other.

So, guess my only concern at this point is whether or not the 2.5 lift is too much for the 33s. And, really can't find much info/feedback regarding those particular tires... performance on/off road, and nothing at all on that tire/wheel combo on 4dr.

Guess 16s aren't popular. But, 17s are just too big and I like 15s on 33s but not 35s... 16s generally seem to look good on both.

boardsurfer

Im a firm believer in not bothering with stop-gap purchases. I mean: I'll buy this while saving for that. What sense does that make? Bite the bullet, keep saving, do it once, do it right. You are clearly not going to be happy with 33s. And 35s with 3.73s will be fine in the relatively flat MO. I ran that set up all over the CO mountains and it works good enough.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I would pass on those wheels because they are 16” not 17”.

As far as 33s with a 2.5” lift, it looks to me like the guy selling the wheels has that set up. His pic looks pretty cool. I have a buddy with 33s and a 2.5 “ and it looks the same.

What boardsurfer said...

Sounds like you want 35’s. Why try and convince yourself otherwise?
Save a little longer and get what you really want when you can afford it.

jesse3638

Hooked
I agree with what others said already. I was fortunate enough to have saved and purchased what I wanted to mod all at once. It was a lot to see go into the Jeep but I was not going to piece meal my build and end up spending twice the money in the long run. My priorities were, lift and tires, armor, rear bumper with tire carrier. While new bumpers and a winch look cool they really don't get you the initial performance the lift, wheels, etc do. I did go with 35's intending on keeping it that way but as they are wearing out I'm going to go with 37's. That comes with a bunch of other recommendations. Regear, gussets, chro-mo front shafts and new ball joints until I push the stock axle too hard then it'll be a PR44. Hydro assist. 1350 front shaft (should have done this instead of 1310). All will be add-ons for them most part. As several have said go with 17" wheels on 35's. You'll be glad you did. The 3:73's will be a bit sluggish but livable with adjusting your shift points. Do it right and the way you want the first time. It will save you in the end.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
I’ve been running 35’s on 3.73 and a lot of added weight (skids, bumpers, winch) and always running up to North Carolina mountains for about a year now. It’s not terrible, certainly looking forward to upgrading to a PR 44. I’m just saving till then instead of regearing.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I was just like you. I was running about that many miles in North Carolina with 373 gears and 255 which are stock. Now I'm running 295 which I believe are between a 33 and a 35. Very happy with my choice cuz I got to drive this thing. I have 4 door springs with a 2 inch pots in the front and one in the rear. I like the look of it but now I like it with the 295. If you were to get a Superchips or a procal that would definitely help a little bit until you re-gear.that is if you want too. I don't plan on regain myself I'm just staying the way I am. I also have Stark newer style Ruby Wheels that are on these as well.

Top Bottom