Orca coolers

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Just found some of these. Anyone have one? I know most run ARB, but I can't see spending that much.

If I was in the market for a high end hard shell cooler I’d buy an Orca. I would buy this over a Yeti.

Its a hard bullet to bite understandably but I get way more use out of my ARB than any other cooler I’ve owned combined.

Brute

Hooked
If I was in the market for a high end hard shell cooler I’d buy an Orca. I would buy this over a Yeti.

Its a hard bullet to bite understandably but I get way more use out of my ARB than any other cooler I’ve owned combined.

Roger that...

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I agree on the ARB. Can you keep those plugged in all the time? Anyone ever have them drain a battery?

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I agree on the ARB. Can you keep those plugged in all the time? Anyone ever have them drain a battery?

Mine is plugged into my wife’s Grand Cherokee, right now. We plug it into an extension cord, at night, but it ran off the battery for two days, last weekend, and no problems.

I had a Pelican cooler, but I got tired off taking that heavy S.O.B. out, every time I needed to drain water.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

CCTX50

ARB ALL THE WAY.
I have had mine years now. Works awesome. Never drained battery. I have seen where others leave in their Jeep year round with no issues. Beats dealing with ice melting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
They have a shutoff feature that is supposed to prevent a dead battery...on my Brute, I have a dual battery setup that only allows the aux battery to drain down...when I pulled the passenger seat on my JK6 and put the fridge there for my UT trip, I plugged the fridge into a Goal Zero battery source, and plugged the Goal Zero into my power inverter in the Jeep...fridge ran for two weeks constantly with no issues...the Goal Zero can run the fridge for 24 hours, and would fully recharge every day I drove the jeep

Midnsped

My wife has an Orca cooler. I have a Brute Bison. They are built well, much like the rest if the roto-molded style coolers. You are essentially paying for a name (Yeti, Engel, Orca, etc). They do take up a large amount of room compared to their capacity, but packed appropriately, they keep food/beverages cold for days.

Pezhead1

RTIC is cheaper

They are running some kind of price war sale. I just picked up a 65 qt for about 2/3 the price of a yeti. Not sure how that falls in comparison to Orca but they all perform the same

Sharkey

Word Ninja
They have a shutoff feature that is supposed to prevent a dead battery...on my Brute, I have a dual battery setup that only allows the aux battery to drain down...when I pulled the passenger seat on my JK6 and put the fridge there for my UT trip, I plugged the fridge into a Goal Zero battery source, and plugged the Goal Zero into my power inverter in the Jeep...fridge ran for two weeks constantly with no issues...the Goal Zero can run the fridge for 24 hours, and would fully recharge every day I drove the jeep

Which Goal Zero are you running? I no longer trust my Yeti 400 for extended fridge duty. The electronics in it crapped out on a Friday night of a three day camping trip. Fortunately my stock Jeep battery ran the fridge with zero issues or I would have been SOL. I’m bummed because I put together a decent solar setup and have a bunch of Goal Zero stuff.

On the plus side, they were great honoring the warranty. They first sent a replacement battery (which they let me keep) and then replaced all of the electronics.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Got the 400 to along with the arb , still use my cooler as well ... picked up ice packs and just swap em out daily when the coolers in use works out good and allows for both frozen and fridge when on the road

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
The RTIC brand seems reasonably priced too. Never realized so many brands to choose from.

I'm on the fence with these damn things. On one hand the fridge freezers are really nice but they're $900. No doubt they're the cat's ass but that's a shitload of dough. On the other hand the Yeti/RTIC/Pelican/Orca coolers are really nice too but they ain't cheap either. Also looking at the Dometic brand of fridge/freezers which look pretty nice. They make a lot of the fridges in RV/Horse trailers and have pretty much the same reviews as ARB on Amazon. So in the end I don't buy anything and then bitch when I go on a trip because my shit gets all soggy. :gaah:

longarmwj

A friend of mine has a RTIC and seems to like it. It holds ice for quite a while too.

That being said though, I've been happy with my Coleman that I got for 30 bucks from Walmart :crazyeyes:

Also, I for sure would not buy a Yeti since they dropped the NRA.

Last edited:
So in the end I don't buy anything and then bitch when I go on a trip because my shit gets all soggy. :gaah:

You just described me perfectly. lol
I rocked a garage sale igloo cooler forever.
I always said I could buy a shit ton of ice for the price of an ARB. Then I finally pulled the trigger. It’s silly how much I love this fridge. It’s the best addition to the Jeep I’ve made.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You just described me perfectly. lol
I rocked a garage sale igloo cooler forever.
I always said I could buy a shit ton of ice for the price of an ARB. Then I finally pulled the trigger. It’s silly how much I love this fridge. It’s the best addition to the Jeep I’ve made.

Should be the first thing every jeep owner buys.

Top Bottom