To lightbar or not to lightbar. That is the question

Pezhead1

So the jeep I bought had a cheap 50" light bar and a pillar lights. I just yanked it all off because it was a hack job install. I didnt think someone could mess that up but I was wrong. My question to y'all ...... replace it or not?

Brute

Hooked
My vote is don't replace it. There really is not many practical uses for a 50" light bar. Plus they can be noisy.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes, they can be noisy if you have them angled downward...but they are nice to have on dark country roads with deer present and no vehicles on the road...I have had several long distance warnings of deer on the road due to enhanced lighting capabilities that I would not have had with only high beams...even with my JW Speakers...

Depends where you live and how you use it. Only for wheeling? I’ve used mine one time. Country roads I use almost daily. Lighting up a work site probably about once a month.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jmo801

I’ve always thought about installing one on my rear bumper so I could turn it on when someone is riding my ass and blind them. Haha. I would never actually do such an install but I think it’s a decent idea.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Pezhead1

No light bar

Thanks for the input. I like the idea of auxiliary lighting but the more I look at it without the lightbar, the more I like it without. I do think I'll put pillar lights on. What are my options? Rigid? Any othere you would recomend?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So the jeep I bought had a cheap 50" light bar and a pillar lights. I just yanked it all off because it was a hack job install. I didnt think someone could mess that up but I was wrong. My question to y'all ...... replace it or not?

As others have stated, I'd leave them off and for the reasons given.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I recently put a 52" light bar and pillar cubes on the Jeep I'm giving to my son. They are not something I would have done for my own Jeep. My son is about to turn 16 and he paid for the lights. At his age form sometimes wins over function. ;) The bar does look pretty cool.

In my honest opinion, the added light from the bar is fair (somewhat helpful) but I wonder how often it will actually be used. I have yet to see an LED bar or LED pillar lights that I felt throw light as far as a high power, full size round light. Even the 52" bar does not throw light as far as the high beams on my Trucklites. And then there is the whistle. The bar whistles at 40 mph and 65 mph. I have put door trim on every single fin of the light bar, which has helped, but the whistle is still noticeable and annoying.

If it were my Jeep, I'd go with two large round lights on the front bumper or possibly a high end 20" bar on a grill mount and call it a day. The pillar pods are pretty much pointless and the windshield bar is just too noisy on a day to day basis to justify the very few times that it will get used.

Last edited:

PatyWagon

I vote for 2 lights in front of grille. I just got a bar that will let me do this for my JK. More light is always good imho. Hoping any whistle will be minimal since this is my DD.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Trekkathejeep

When I bought my jeep it had a 50" light bar I was going to take it off at first but the first time I used it I loved it. I camp almost every weekend and it's nice since I usually roll into camp late at night.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom