What lb. capacity do need for a tj ,

Bustedback

9000 will do you fine, but if you can fit a 12,000 , why not?

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

I-Eat-Mud

9000 will do you fine, but if you can fit a 12,000 , why not?

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

won't a 9,000 usually have a longer duty cycle than a 12,000 so you can winch longer? I have a cheap 12,000 pound badlands winch. It works fine, but I can't run it for very long without resting it.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
5000 , 9000 or 1200 lb

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
1.5x the weight of the vehicle you plan on wincing is a safe starting point.
won't a 9,000 usually have a longer duty cycle than a 12,000 so you can winch longer? I have a cheap 12,000 pound badlands winch. It works fine, but I can't run it for very long without resting it.
:idontknow:

...Maybe it's just trying not to burn the fried rice?? :cheesy:

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

jdofmemi

5000 , 9000 or 1200 lb

I would ask you what you plan on doing with the Jeep, and the winch.

If you are just cruising around forrest roads, and maybe winching a tree out of the road, or pulling your Jeep out of a muddy ditch, the smaller end of things will do it.

If you are planning on going to some remote places, getting stuck to the top of the hood or needing to pull your Jeep nearly straight up a wall, where walking out may be a life or death proposition, get a big one, and make sure it is good, like a Warn.

Ask yourself these questions, and go from there.

FYI, I started with a M6000, it was fine for a while, but not enough for what I ended up getting into.
Went to a M8000, and it was fine, for a while, but my exploring soon exceeded it's capacity as well.
I upgraded to a XD9000, and it was good, for a while. I have been on funs where it was used 20+ times in a day, and did fine until the snow was drifted higher than the hood, for long distances. That time we turned around when the winch would stall as soon as the first layer was filled, with a double line pull. I needed at least a 12,000 that day, plus more rigging. Maybe enough for a triple line pull. I hate to have to turn back.

8000 is pretty much the baseline recommended. Remember that the maximum weight rating is when the line is all the way out and you’re pulling from the line directly on the drum, as it reels in its capacity goes down, so going for a larger model if the difference doesn’t break the bank isn’t a bad idea.

Top Bottom