Beadlock ring bolts

jesse3638

Hooked
I think most manufacturers recommend they be replaced as when they are torqued they can stretch and potentially be weakened. There is another thread somewhere about this where SDG did some digging and listed tensile strengths and everything. Most however reuse the old ones as I will most likely do when I replace my tires.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Nobody replaces bolts just because they were tight, then loosened, then need to be tightened again. Why would beadlock bolts be any different than any other bolts?

Zstairlessone

I doubt that ring bolts are torqued enough to cause plastic deformation, but if you’re not comfortable just measure them all with a micrometer before initial torque and check them again before each use. If they’ve grown in length / shrunk in width then they’ve been stretched. Just because they’ve stretched doesn’t mean you can’t use them either, the concern is when the cross sectional area becomes small enough that they can fail from the tensile stress when re-torqued (especially if they neck down any more)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Coop

Caught the Bug
The ring bolts are only torqued to 22-24 ft/lbs. corrosion is likely the only problem. Some folks have switched to stainless steel bolts, but that is expensive. When I have to replace a bolt I use stainless.

PATRIOTKJM

The ring bolts are only torqued to 22-24 ft/lbs. corrosion is likely the only problem. Some folks have switched to stainless steel bolts, but that is expensive. When I have to replace a bolt I use stainless.

Don’t switch to stainless, the tensile strength is very low and they will gall.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
ATX / KMC / SPYDERLOCK no you don’t need to like Overlander said. All the other YES YOU NEED TO. Every single manufacturer states this except ATX/KMC/SPYDERLOCK because those folk use larger bolts. I have seen a close friend have the bolts snap from reusing them on the freeway at speed. He was lucky he didn’t roll it when the tire damn near came off.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
if you need to replace bolts, make sure the thread pitch is correct for the inserts - stainless versus hardened steel inserts have a different pitch

Top Bottom