KC HiLiTES - Solid Company

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
We often hear about companies with which we have terrible experiences. A lot less often, do we hear of companies that perform above, beyond, what we have become accustomed to.

Back in August, I bought a set of KC HiLiTES LED Gravity Pro headlights and matching driving lights. Loved em. Unfortunately, heading into late October, where temps fluctuated in the 40-45F range, I started having problems. The passenger side headlight started fading. I'd start out in the morning, then on the drive to work it would lose strength, maybe half-strength or less. Happened once, thought it a fluke (not happy about it, but it was once). Then it started happening more frequently, longer duration.

Pulled the light, checked connections, everything was fine. Light worked fine. Just couldn't nail down the problem. Had never had any issues with the OEM fixtures. Problem became more frequent. Starting to become dissatisfied. At one point, I swapped headlights. Sure enough the problem moved with the light. For a while. Then the 'other' light started doing similar. At one point, January or February, on the way to work, both headlights failed. Must say, doing 70'ish in rush hour traffic, out in the country w/o street lights, and having both headlights wink out is not a thrilling experience. Fortunately there were plenty of cars to follow and the driving lights were adequate for the moment.

Called KC HiLiTES. Described the problem, told them about the problem staying with the light when I swapped it. Only thing that seemed consistent was the temperature range. Spent 10 days in the 10-25F range, never had either light fail. KC didn't even question it. They issued me a RMA. Unfortunately they were backordered...ended up being almost 2 months.

Mid-way through that 2 month period though, I called up Josh, their Support Rep, to see where they were with replacements. No longer had the OEM fixtures, I was sort of stuck, and I certainly couldn't send in the original pair without replacements on hand. He spoke with their team, then sent me a new set of Gravity LEDs (not Pro). No questions asked. About 5 days later, no payment required, a second set of lights showed up.

Swapped the new lights in. Life was grand. Confidence was back. To be honest, wasn't sure which I like better: Gravity or Gravity Pro. Then, after about 3 weeks, one of them winked out. SON OF A B... Not pleased.

It was hard to imagine the problem lay with my 2 year old JK. Never ever had any vehicle have this sort of problem. If anything, it was always the bulb...or corrosion built up in an older light socket. Regardless I had to concede it was likely at least partially the Jeep. The odds of them sending me two sets of lights, two different sets, and having the same problem was very unlikely.

I ended up order a new pair of headlight connectors with pigtails. Cut out both OEM headlight sockets, wired in the new ones. Put the original 'bad' pair of lights in. It's been 3 weeks now. Zero problems. And we've been moving back through the 45F range again this month.

Called them to ask they contact me before fulfilling the backorder but, alas, the new Gravity Pros showed up about 10 days ago. So, now I am sitting here with 3 full sets of Gravity LEDs, worth $2,050, for the cost of one set.

I called Josh, let him know I've come to believe the problem was mine. That I needed to return the new pair they just sent me. And, since they couldn't resell (as new) the '2nd' set of lights I'd been using, I'd like to at least make the whole, if they wouldn't mind giving me a break in the price. At one pointed he'd commented, "So you have three sets of lights? Yep."

Here's the response I got:

Josh (KC HiLiTES)
Apr 20, 08:52 MST
Hello JT,

Thank you for giving us a call earlier yesterday regarding the headlights. Attached to this email is the prepaid UPS shipping label we spoke about yesterday. I spoke to our team regarding the headlights and we can definitely do $---.-- for the pair. We would also like to offer you a t-shirt and flashlight for your feedback and honesty. Please let me know what size t-shirt you are. I have listed a couple different styles to choose from below.

That was a real surprise. At no point along the way did they even hint at giving me grief. It was Support the way we'd all like to receive it. The gift at the end was simply a very nice plus. Since someone will undoubtedly ask, I blanked the price. I don't think sharing what might be their cost to be good form on my part.

So, Kudos to KC HiLiTES!:clap2:

Brute

Hooked
We often hear about companies with which we have terrible experiences. A lot less often, do we hear of companies that perform above, beyond, what we have become accustomed to.

Back in August, I bought a set of KC HiLiTES LED Gravity Pro headlights and matching driving lights. Loved em. Unfortunately, heading into late October, where temps fluctuated in the 40-45F range, I started having problems. The passenger side headlight started fading. I'd start out in the morning, then on the drive to work it would lose strength, maybe half-strength or less. Happened once, thought it a fluke (not happy about it, but it was once). Then it started happening more frequently, longer duration.

Pulled the light, checked connections, everything was fine. Light worked fine. Just couldn't nail down the problem. Had never had any issues with the OEM fixtures. Problem became more frequent. Starting to become dissatisfied. At one point, I swapped headlights. Sure enough the problem moved with the light. For a while. Then the 'other' light started doing similar. At one point, January or February, on the way to work, both headlights failed. Must say, doing 70'ish in rush hour traffic, out in the country w/o street lights, and having both headlights wink out is not a thrilling experience. Fortunately there were plenty of cars to follow and the driving lights were adequate for the moment.

Called KC HiLiTES. Described the problem, told them about the problem staying with the light when I swapped it. Only thing that seemed consistent was the temperature range. Spent 10 days in the 10-25F range, never had either light fail. KC didn't even question it. They issued me a RMA. Unfortunately they were backordered...ended up being almost 2 months.

Mid-way through that 2 month period though, I called up Josh, their Support Rep, to see where they were with replacements. No longer had the OEM fixtures, I was sort of stuck, and I certainly couldn't send in the original pair without replacements on hand. He spoke with their team, then sent me a new set of Gravity LEDs (not Pro). No questions asked. About 5 days later, no payment required, a second set of lights showed up.

Swapped the new lights in. Life was grand. Confidence was back. To be honest, wasn't sure which I like better: Gravity or Gravity Pro. Then, after about 3 weeks, one of them winked out. SON OF A B... Not pleased.

It was hard to imagine the problem lay with my 2 year old JK. Never ever had any vehicle have this sort of problem. If anything, it was always the bulb...or corrosion built up in an older light socket. Regardless I had to concede it was likely at least partially the Jeep. The odds of them sending me two sets of lights, two different sets, and having the same problem was very unlikely.

I ended up order a new pair of headlight connectors with pigtails. Cut out both OEM headlight sockets, wired in the new ones. Put the original 'bad' pair of lights in. It's been 3 weeks now. Zero problems. And we've been moving back through the 45F range again this month.

Called them to ask they contact me before fulfilling the backorder but, alas, the new Gravity Pros showed up about 10 days ago. So, now I am sitting here with 3 full sets of Gravity LEDs, worth $2,050, for the cost of one set.

I called Josh, let him know I've come to believe the problem was mine. That I needed to return the new pair they just sent me. And, since they couldn't resell (as new) the '2nd' set of lights I'd been using, I'd like to at least make the whole, if they wouldn't mind giving me a break in the price. At one pointed he'd commented, "So you have three sets of lights? Yep."

Here's the response I got:

Josh (KC HiLiTES)
Apr 20, 08:52 MST
Hello JT,

Thank you for giving us a call earlier yesterday regarding the headlights. Attached to this email is the prepaid UPS shipping label we spoke about yesterday. I spoke to our team regarding the headlights and we can definitely do $---.-- for the pair. We would also like to offer you a t-shirt and flashlight for your feedback and honesty. Please let me know what size t-shirt you are. I have listed a couple different styles to choose from below.

That was a real surprise. At no point along the way did they even hint at giving me grief. It was Support the way we'd all like to receive it. The gift at the end was simply a very nice plus. Since someone will undoubtedly ask, I blanked the price. I don't think sharing what might be their cost to be good form on my part.

So, Kudos to KC HiLiTES!:clap2:

An enlightening story...

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Always said honesty is the best policy and that's why. Glad to see both sides of the story.[/URL]

Agree (obviously). Just simply the right thing to do. Just unfortunate that doing so seems to have become so uncommon as to be worth even mentioning.

Chris1015

Saw some KC lights on some rigs today at a run we did. Got to admit they've really grown on me. This might have sold me on a pair!

DINKELROC

I run the same lights on my 2016 and noticed the driver side went dim a couple of times. Did you replace the OEM plugs or the KC side to fix the problem?

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
I run the same lights on my 2016 and noticed the driver side went dim a couple of times. Did you replace the OEM plugs or the KC side to fix the problem?

I replaced the OEM plugs. The new plugs came with 6" of wire. I snipped the OEM plugs off right at their base and spliced in the new. The wires going into the replacement plugs feel much more well-connected. Since writing this, I'm still happy with the result...no issues.

RonG

I had an identical problem with my replacement Speakers. It started after a couple of months and got progressively worse until I, too, was in the dark. Replacing the Jeep side pigtails fixed the problem. Still not sure what the exact problem was, but I stopped caring once it was fixed.

Good to hear that they were so helpful.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

DINKELROC

I replaced the OEM plugs. The new plugs came with 6" of wire. I snipped the OEM plugs off right at their base and spliced in the new. The wires going into the replacement plugs feel much more well-connected. Since writing this, I'm still happy with the result...no issues.
Thank you for saving me the time trying to diagnose and solve the issue. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
A little dielectric grease on the connections goes a long way to prevent corrosion inside any plug. Just something to consider.

Top Bottom