Low Budget Willys Crawler

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
So I decided to create my own build thread instead of sharing one with my brother, RedBeard on the FrankenWillys thread.

I acquired a 1952 Willys Truck from a buddy of mine that bought it as a project but decided it was too much work. It didn’t leave my trailer for about a month after he bought it so I gave him $900 and got the title in my name. IMG_0864.jpg IMG_0865.jpg IMG_0866.jpg
It sits on a Jeep J20 frame that the previous owner boxed. Drivetrain is a AMC 360, TH 400, Dana 20 transfer case with a D44 front axle. No rear. The truck is complete minus the rear axle.

My plan for this build is to build it secondhand. Horse trade as much as I can like a previous build of mine “Secondhand YJ”. It makes it fun and challenging compared to my JK where I can buy whatever I want and just bolt it on. It’s going to be a crawler on 40s. Here’s my build list and ideas.

Axles: Dana 60 rear and GM Dana 60 front.

Gears: undecided. I would still like to do 60 mph so I might go with 4.56 or 4.88 and gear the transfer case lower. Lockers as well. Not sure if I want to go ARB or mechanical.

Tires: 40s. There’s plenty that show up on CL and FB so I’ll pull the trigger when I’m ready.

Suspension: Leafs front and rear. Keep it simple.

Exterior: it has a flatbed now. I might leave it full width or chop it so it sits between the tires.

Interior: something to replace the bench seat which is very nice and install some sort of roll cage.

Paint: The red is going away. Not original. I won’t disclose what color I picked just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
So here’s an update so far. Klungly picked up a rear Dana 60 for me at a swap meet for $100. It also has 35 spline axle shafts. I’ve cut the perches and shock mounts. Looks like I will be able to use the perches again. IMG_0776.jpg IMG_0792.jpg IMG_0857.jpg IMG_0855.jpg IMG_0858.jpg
The wheel was stuck so I removed the drum and found that the brakes were rusted to the drum. They look new but never used though. These shafts are huge! IMG_0861.jpg IMG_0862.jpg IMG_0863.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
This week I also scored a set of military Goodyear 37x12.5x16.5 set of tires and wheels for free. They are rollers but will work until I get 40s. I ended up trading work for the tires. IMG_0860.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I dig the Willy's pickups...I also like your "gut fish" sticker...

I like the pickup as well! [emoji106] subscribed

I’ve always wanted a Willys pickup. I’m excited for this build.

Nice! Can't wait to see what you do with it. Sounds like a cool build[emoji106]

Thanks!

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Got motivated and had a couple friends come over to move the frame inside the garage. Now I can mock up the rear springs and weld the hangers on. This will allow me to mock up the axle as well. With the cab off, I can box the middle portion of the frame too. Here’s a few more pictures. IMG_0867.jpg IMG_0869.jpg IMG_0870.jpg IMG_0871.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Put the rear leafs on. I went with what the previous owner was working towards. The frame ended up super high but there’s basically no weight on it right now. I put around 450 lbs on and the frame dropped 2.5”. So I’m sure with a few more hundred pounds it will be alright. If not, then I’ll change it up. IMG_0874.jpg IMG_0875.jpg
Right now I’m waiting for some u bolts to show up from Ruff Stuff Specialties so I can adjust and weld my perches on. Also I really need to find a front axle. A GM 60 is hard to find.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Got some u-bolts from Ruff Stuff Specialties. Now the axle is mounted and I can move this frame a little easier. IMG_0886.jpg
Until I get some more funds and an axle pops up for sale, I’m going to switch gears and work on the body. Should have it all painted in the next two weeks.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Got some u-bolts from Ruff Stuff Specialties. Now the axle is mounted and I can move this frame a little easier. View attachment 300842
Until I get some more funds and an axle pops up for sale, I’m going to switch gears and work on the body. Should have it all painted in the next two weeks.

Cool. I saw a D60 passenger side drop on CL the other day and thought of you. But it seems to be gone now. And in SoCal anyway ...

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Cool. I saw a D60 passenger side drop on CL the other day and thought of you. But it seems to be gone now. And in SoCal anyway ...

Thanks for looking out for me! Seems like all the ones I see that pop up are $1200. I would drive for the right price. SoCal might be a little far, haha.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I hate sitting idle on a project but I need a front axle to move forward. I decided to look for an 8 lug GM D44. They have the same dimensions of a D60 so I can build the suspension, install the axle and put the Jeep on some wheels until I come across a D60. At that point it will be a simple bolt in swap. I found one on FB for $80. That was cheap enough for me to be just a mock up piece. Plus I used the money I made from other parts I had sold already. IMG_0903.jpg I need to cut these springs out out since they are mounted outboard of the frame and are too wide. IMG_0904.jpg

fiend

Caught the Bug
I hate sitting idle on a project but I need a front axle to move forward. I decided to look for an 8 lug GM D44. They have the same dimensions of a D60 so I can build the suspension, install the axle and put the Jeep on some wheels until I come across a D60. At that point it will be a simple bolt in swap. I found one on FB for $80. That was cheap enough for me to be just a mock up piece. Plus I used the money I made from other parts I had sold already. View attachment 301107 I need to cut these springs out out since they are mounted outboard of the frame and are too wide. View attachment 301108

Seems like a good, cheap interim fix.

Top Bottom