High steer knuckle steering stops

A.J.

Rancho or Reid has anyone actually trimmed the steering stops and if so how much did you trim and what was your tool of choice? I would like to get a little tighter turning radius and I understand there are lots of variables. What increments? 1/8"? More?less? Pictures of course would be great! Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

deadguy

I trimmed my ranchos. Just going off a little bit at a time and check your clearance. Takes a while doing it over and over but a little goes a long way

sent from a guy with a Jeep

A.J.

I trimmed my ranchos. Just going off a little bit at a time and check your clearance. Takes a while doing it over and over but a little goes a long way

sent from a guy with a Jeep

Thanks for the reply! Yes a little will go a long way. I am thinking to start with 1/4" and then mark them in 1/8" increments to keep them even. How much do you think you took off? It seems like 1/2" could be too much.

A.J.

Ok that was easy, but now have a new problem. I took 1/4" off right turn stops and tested. Gained about an inch at full turn measuring from the the inside of the tire to the frame. Just about what I was hoping for. Great! So I did the same for the left turn stops. Had my wife get in the jeep and turn to measure and gained....nothing. The stops are not touching. WTF? So I unbolted steering stabilizer just in case. No still the same. So now I am scratching my head. I have synergy adjustable drag link flipped. 4" EVO springs which netted 4.5" lift. The adjuster is almost maxed out long but the pitman arm end is almost all the way in. So I am thinking if I adjust it shorter a full revolution of the steering wheel and re center will that set off the stability control? Only other way I can think is to re index the steering shaft. At full turn left the pitman arm is almost at the sway bar and very close to frame. Any ideas?

WJCO

Meme King
Ok that was easy, but now have a new problem. I took 1/4" off right turn stops and tested. Gained about an inch at full turn measuring from the the inside of the tire to the frame. Just about what I was hoping for. Great! So I did the same for the left turn stops. Had my wife get in the jeep and turn to measure and gained....nothing. The stops are not touching. WTF? So I unbolted steering stabilizer just in case. No still the same. So now I am scratching my head. I have synergy adjustable drag link flipped. 4" EVO springs which netted 4.5" lift. The adjuster is almost maxed out long but the pitman arm end is almost all the way in. So I am thinking if I adjust it shorter a full revolution of the steering wheel and re center will that set off the stability control? Only other way I can think is to re index the steering shaft. At full turn left the pitman arm is almost at the sway bar and very close to frame. Any ideas?

Before adjusting the steering wheel, from center, turn it 'x' amount of times to the right and count the full revolutions. Then see if left is the same. If they're the same, don't mess with adjusting the steering wheel, and definitely don't mess with the steering shaft. Something has to be bottoming out somewhere preventing full wheel travel in that direction. I'm not sure if the gearbox internally has a stop.

A.J.

1/4 turn difference left to right. I am going to try a full steering wheel revolution on the drag link( easy to try) and see. I think it will work. We’ll see! Report back in a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

A.J.

Ok so that didn't work. Got 3/4 of the way around and ran out of adjustment. Just for giggles tried it lock to lock there and problem moved to the other side, just not quite as bad. Thinking re indexing the steering shaft is the next logical step, but really not worth digging into. From the looks of things I would just be robbing Peter to save Paul anyway. Looks like I've created a rabbit hole I don't feel like going down.

A.J.

you trimmed both steering stops on each rancho knuckle?

Yep front and back. The rear stops were not touching to begin with so I trimmed them a bit less than the fronts. Worked perfectly other than the difference from left to right. Only thing I can figure is that's just the way it came from the factory. The pitman arms in Jk's are keyed so it must be how the steering shaft was indexed. As far as I can tell from all my fooling around with it today it's indexed about a 1/4 turn to the left. If I get really bored some weekend I might see if I can change it, but as of right now I'm running it as is. It's been that way for 78,000 miles and 7 years so I feel like its pretty safe. Lol!

Top Bottom