Primer Before Berliner?

Jranso04

I know there is a bunch of topics on this but I looked at a lot of them and they don’t really say whether or not you should prime before adding a layer of bedliner or not. I am either using Herculiner or Monstaliner. Most likely monstaliner but I wasn’t sure if I should prime before adding the bedliner. I have the tub sanded down with the clear coat sanded off and most of the paint but there is a little rust so I was going to grab some Rustoleum Rust metal primer and spray those areas. Should I just prime the whole tub or just the rust areas before adding the bedliner?

IMG_0686.jpg

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Thank you. What would you recommend for a good metal primer? Would Rustoleums rust metal primer be good?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
I wouldn't buy their cheapest stuff. They have some middle priced paint that works pretty great. I'm partial to dupli color just because their etching primer is great. Pretty much any self etching primer will work great for what you are doing

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Should I use any kind of paint thinner before priming or should a good sanding and cleaning with an air hose and some soap and water be good?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

We've done 2 Jeeps with Herculiner. We didn't use primer on either. One of them has lasted three years or so with no issue. The other was just done last year. We used rough sanding pads in the corners and curves just enough to scuff off the gloss. On the flat parts, we used a palm sander with 120 grit I think. When it was all sanded well, we used a shop vac to get out the dust. Then we used acetone and a rag and wiped the entire thing out really well.
Then about 5 minutes before brushing on the bedliner, we used acetone on each section one more time just to be safe. It worked just fine. No issues with peeling at all.

Tips that helped:
1)Instead of taping off certain areas for masking, use aluminum foil. You can mold it around just about anything (pedals, seat belts, etc).
2)For all of your bolt holes, use foam ear plugs to protect them. They will expand into the holes and keep the bedliner from sticking to the threads. Make sure and leave enough hanging out that you can grab them with pliers when it's all done.
3)If it's not windy, let it dry outside for a full day. It will reek for a good week or so, try to leave doors and top off during those first two weeks.

"rust converter" is a gimmick and doesnt have any long term results, keep sanding the rust away until its gone. I wouldn't use rustoleum on anything anymore i've had very bad results with their primer, their paint, and their bedliner. I'm done with them.

Top Bottom