Need Help with a Jeep Decision

Echo Seven

I am planning to buy a Jeep Wrangler JL in the summer. I have been going back and forth about which model to get and think I need some help making a decision. This will be my second Wrangler, my first was a 2007 JK sport, it was stock with no upgrades and I had it for 5 years. I said if I was ever ready to buy another one, I would get one with some options. I was never happy with how plain my Jeep was when I had it even though I loved driving one.

Since I have been looking and the cost would be virtually the same ($40k), should I buy a fully loaded JL Sport or a base model JL Rubicon? I'm buying a Jeep for the ability to drive through the NY snow in the winter and not to go off-road on trails. Which do you think is the best option for me?

tjgoff

I would buy the Rubicon. I think having that extra capability gives you peace of mind that you can get out of a sticky situation if needed. I regret not getting a Rubicon. That being said...I don’t live where I need heated seats and steering wheel.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I am planning to buy a Jeep Wrangler JL in the summer. I have been going back and forth about which model to get and think I need some help making a decision. This will be my second Wrangler, my first was a 2007 JK sport, it was stock with no upgrades and I had it for 5 years. I said if I was ever ready to buy another one, I would get one with some options. I was never happy with how plain my Jeep was when I had it even though I loved driving one.

Since I have been looking and the cost would be virtually the same ($40k), should I buy a fully loaded JL Sport or a base model JL Rubicon? I'm buying a Jeep for the ability to drive through the NY snow in the winter and not to go off-road on trails. Which do you think is the best option for me?

If cost isn't an issue, go with the Rubicon. However, it's quite a bit more. We're talking about getting a JL just to save some mileage on the other Jeeps and our JL would stay on pavement most of the time.

If price is an option, if you haven't already, at Jeep.com, you can build a Sport, Sport-S, Sahara, or Rubicon and it gives you the prices for each option you add to each vehicle: https://www.jeep.com/lineup.html?app=bmo . If we end up pulling the trigger, we're just going with a Sport-S to keep it basic but still have some critter comforts (mainly power windows). The Sport-S has the ability to add heated seats (Cold Weather Group).

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug

FWIW My fist jk was a base sport and I drove it through 5 Chicago winter's without an issue. If you're not gonna take it off road save the extra cash you'd spend on the Rubicon and instead spend it on creature comforts for a sport or sport s. Power windows, power locks, heated seats, and LED lighting package, etc..

Warrior's Lance

The Rubicon JL is only available with a proximity keyless fob ignition. Sahara too. I GREATLY dislike these things. They are always on radio transmitters and with the discussions about cell phone transmissions causing cancer with long term usage, the last thing I want are more radio transmitters next to my body. I guess there is now a market for pants with pockets that are Faraday cages to prevent this, but none that I know of that are available. I believe that the sport and sport S do not have these keyless fob ignitions, and that would be enough to sway the decision for me.

YMMV,

Lance

Top Bottom