Jeep just decided to not start...

jeepsheets

90 YJ 4.2L.

Went out this morning to jump in the Jeep, parked outside last night with no top. Not sure why that would matter, just trying to give as much info as possible. Temps in upper 40s, average moisture for a Georgia spring morning...

Radio comes on, lights work, heater fan blows, etc. When I turn the switch, nothing. The radio goes quiet like it always does at starting, but not as much as a click from the starter.

Had battery checked and it’s good. Can anybody tell me where to start?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
90 YJ 4.2L.

Went out this morning to jump in the Jeep, parked outside last night with no top. Not sure why that would matter, just trying to give as much info as possible. Temps in upper 40s, average moisture for a Georgia spring morning...

Radio comes on, lights work, heater fan blows, etc. When I turn the switch, nothing. The radio goes quiet like it always does at starting, but not as much as a click from the starter.

Had battery checked and it’s good. Can anybody tell me where to start?

Does it click when you turn/hold the key to the start position?

If not; it could be the relay or the solenoid aren't getting thrown to send the power to the starter.

If so; and it just wont turn over, since you already tested the battery, its likely the starter motor itself. Try to give it a few wacks with a hammer. right on the housing. if that doesn't persuade; a new starter is likely on the docket.

IF it's a manual, you could always try to bump start it...

WJCO

Meme King
Tap on the starter moderately with a hammer and see if that fixes it. Could be a starter going out.

Also check that terminals are tight.

If you have a helper and a DVOM, safely try to see if you have power at the starter on the wire that goes from the ignition switch to the starter (the smaller wire) while you're helper tries to start the Jeep. Also make sure there is power at the large battery cable at the starter as well at all times.

jeepsheets

Does it click when you turn/hold the key to the start position?

If not; it could be the relay or the solenoid aren't getting thrown to send the power to the starter.

If so; and it just wont turn over, since you already tested the battery, its likely the starter motor itself. Try to give it a few wacks with a hammer. right on the housing. if that doesn't persuade; a new starter is likely on the docket.

IF it's a manual, you could always try to bump start it...

There is nothing when I turn the key. No click, nothing. I’ll look around for relay/solenoid connections and start there. Thanks.

jeepsheets

Tap on the starter moderately with a hammer and see if that fixes it. Could be a starter going out.

Also check that terminals are tight.

If you have a helper and a DVOM, safely try to see if you have power at the starter on the wire that goes from the ignition switch to the starter (the smaller wire) while you're helper tries to start the Jeep. Also make sure there is power at the large battery cable at the starter as well at all times.

I thought about checking power to the starter, have to wait until someone can turn the key for me.
Thanks for the advice.

jeepsheets

I thought about checking power to the starter, have to wait until someone can turn the key for me.
Thanks for the advice.

Ok, so I came home at lunch to diagnose the problem, put the key in and it started right up. The temperature has warmed us and all moisture is gone. Is that related? Or coincidental? Should I go ahead and replace the starter? I don’t want it to quit on me away from the house...???

WJCO

Meme King
Ok, so I came home at lunch to diagnose the problem, put the key in and it started right up. The temperature has warmed us and all moisture is gone. Is that related? Or coincidental? Should I go ahead and replace the starter? I don’t want it to quit on me away from the house...???

We actually had something happen on a road trip like this just this year to Flagstaff when it was in the teens. Luckily it started once while we were in town and got us down to the parts store. I bought a starter from Oreilleys in Arizona. I always keep tools with me on road trips, so I just put the starter in the back of the Jeep. It acted up a couple more times during the trip, but we always got it started. Back in Colorado, it never acted up again, so after about a week I took the starter back to Oreilleys and they had no issues with the return. If it's not too much of an expense and you'll be far away from the city, it may not be a bad idea to carry one just in case.

jeepsheets

We actually had something happen on a road trip like this just this year to Flagstaff when it was in the teens. Luckily it started once while we were in town and got us down to the parts store. I bought a starter from Oreilleys in Arizona. I always keep tools with me on road trips, so I just put the starter in the back of the Jeep. It acted up a couple more times during the trip, but we always got it started. Back in Colorado, it never acted up again, so after about a week I took the starter back to Oreilleys and they had no issues with the return. If it's not too much of an expense and you'll be far away from the city, it may not be a bad idea to carry one just in case.

Thanks for the story/advice. I am learning that spare parts are a necessity. Suddenly space for a tool/parts box is much more important than space for stereo upgrades!

Top Bottom