Abs & traction control light!

Joeyd94

I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler unlimited. When I started it up today I noticed my ABS & TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT BOTH TO BE ON! I don’t understand what it could be. I disconnected the battery to hopefully “reset” the lights and no luck. The Jeep doesn’t ride any different than it did before the lights behind on. Earlier in the day I took my grill off to install some mesh behind it and re-install gril with what seemed to be no problems. Could this have triggered something? Any suggestions please!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler unlimited. When I started it up today I noticed my ABS & TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT BOTH TO BE ON! I don’t understand what it could be. I disconnected the battery to hopefully “reset” the lights and no luck. The Jeep doesn’t ride any different than it did before the lights behind on. Earlier in the day I took my grill off to install some mesh behind it and re-install gril with what seemed to be no problems. Could this have triggered something? Any suggestions please!!

More than likely it’s a wheel speed sensor or the plug at the wheel speed sensor. The trick is figuring out which wheel. A good OBD port reader will tell you which wheel it is. I bought s blue driver and am really happy with it. If it’s the front, you will more than likely need to replace your wheel unit bearings. The speed sensor is built in. If it the rear, it’s pretty easy to swap the sensor out.

JMFK

More than likely it’s a wheel speed sensor or the plug at the wheel speed sensor. The trick is figuring out which wheel. A good OBD port reader will tell you which wheel it is. I bought s blue driver and am really happy with it. If it’s the front, you will more than likely need to replace your wheel unit bearings. The speed sensor is built in. If it the rear, it’s pretty easy to swap the sensor out.

I have a 2016 Rubicon and had the same problem that ended up being the front driver side sensor. I didn’t need to replace the wheel unit bearing. I just got the replacement sensor for like $40 at a dealership. It’s a bitch to replace just because you need to take off the caliper and disk. Are non-rubicons different?

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I have a 2016 Rubicon and had the same problem that ended up being the front driver side sensor. I didn’t need to replace the wheel unit bearing. I just got the replacement sensor for like $40 at a dealership. It’s a bitch to replace just because you need to take off the caliper and disk. Are non-rubicons different?

It's the same for all JK's.

jagerhelix

I've had the issue a few times. If you get AutoZone or another parts store to read it for you with a scanner, their scanner needs to be able to read ABS codes or it won't find it.

Sent from my E6820TM using Tapatalk

Jeeper62

slightly similar issue question

I was actually going to ask y'all....

Recently on random turns my traction control light flickers and i feel the engagement in the front wheel. Out of the turn, it stops immediately and does not return. This is sporatic and just began after an alignment and new arms- upper and lower. I'm lifted and run 35s and never had the issue prior. As the light does not stay on, would a scan pick it up? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
I was actually going to ask y'all....

Recently on random turns my traction control light flickers and i feel the engagement in the front wheel. Out of the turn, it stops immediately and does not return. This is sporatic and just began after an alignment and new arms- upper and lower. I'm lifted and run 35s and never had the issue prior. As the light does not stay on, would a scan pick it up? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

This sounds like your steering wheel needs recentered.

Midnsped

Check your battery connection. I had the same issue after I installed my winch. I double checked the battery terminals and the positive was loose. I tightened it down and no issues now.

Jeeper62

Loose connection maybe. had it a few times .. went away after a few days.

Check your battery connection. I had the same issue after I installed my winch. I double checked the battery terminals and the positive was loose. I tightened it down and no issues now.

thank you... terminals seem tight but we will see i guess.

**update - terminals are tight....

Last edited:

Jeeper62

not to hijack the thread OP....

still dealing with this traction control light coming on periodically....
  • terminals are tight
  • a few exterior electrical items hooked up to battery
  • recent alignment

any further ideas? think an OBD2 would reveal anything if no lights remain on for more than 5-8 seconds?

wjtstudios

Hooked
not to hijack the thread OP....

still dealing with this traction control light coming on periodically....
  • terminals are tight
  • a few exterior electrical items hooked up to battery
  • recent alignment

any further ideas? think an OBD2 would reveal anything if no lights remain on for more than 5-8 seconds?

Yes, I think the OBD will log the code. A good code reader will also tell you which wheel sensor is throwing the code

r47

Memorial Day our ABS/TCS lit up, would clear sometimes with the TCS button (2016 JKUR), but recur. Noticed the MPG declining on the dash, which I've seen cited as a bad rear sensor. No codes on the dash with the 3 ignition key readout, no codes on a scangauge or Bluetooth ELM327 dongle. Took it in on Tuesday, diagnosed with a bad LF wheel bearing and replaced under warranty. Also got a new rad for a persistent coolant smell without obvious leak.

Might be time to give a more expensive HF scanner a try

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Abs & traction control light!

Alrighty add me to the list with these lights... my situation is a little different though. Didn’t want to make yet another thread for this if it may be the something similar.. so here goes...

On the way to work this morning, traction control and abs lights came on at a stop light. Did t fee like either of those systems engaged at all. After work, lights went out before I got outta the parking lot, then came back on after about 10 miles. Still no other symptoms. Got home and wiggled speed sensor wires and Abs connectors. Lights went out before I got outta my driveway for a test drive. About 3 miles later, lights came back on again, then turned off, but traction control started engaging randomly all the way back home, and my brakes went to shit. Feels like grinding in the pedal. Lights are off, but brakes feel like shit and traction control engages with any decent throttle input. No codes present when the lights were on. No stored codes. Wife is about to pop and hospital is 2 hours away. Definitely need to get this thing running good ASAP. Any thoughts?

Edit: battery terminals are solid, Jeep has 62k miles (unit bearings?), and it’s been raining. Hopefully it’s just a little water intrusion but not good either way.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Alrighty add me to the list with these lights... my situation is a little different though. Didn’t want to make yet another thread for this if it may be the something similar.. so here goes...

On the way to work this morning, traction control and abs lights came on at a stop light. Did t fee like either of those systems engaged at all. After work, lights went out before I got outta the parking lot, then came back on after about 10 miles. Still no other symptoms. Got home and wiggled speed sensor wires and Abs connectors. Lights went out before I got outta my driveway for a test drive. About 3 miles later, lights came back on again, then turned off, but traction control started engaging randomly all the way back home, and my brakes went to shit. Feels like grinding in the pedal. Lights are off, but brakes feel like shit and traction control engages with any decent throttle input. No codes present when the lights were on. No stored codes. Wife is about to pop and hospital is 2 hours away. Definitely need to get this thing running good ASAP. Any thoughts?

Edit: battery terminals are solid, Jeep has 62k miles (unit bearings?), and it’s been raining. Hopefully it’s just a little water intrusion but not good either way.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Unit bearing play?

Top Bottom