A new eruption just started here in Hawaii

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Hey all. Just thought some might like to see that a new eruption just started here in a neighborhood. In this picture at the bottom you can see a paved road that this flow came up through. No photo credit to me, but I’m planning to get as close as I can tomorrow and at least fly my drone in to get some shots of my own. If anyone was planning a trip out here in the near future, this would be prime time for a helo tour.

IMG_5861.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
Yes, it's the Big Island...it is threatening Leilani Estates, and all 1500 residents have been evacuated...property values on the eastern slope of Kilauea are about to go down...

Brute

Hooked
It's ironic that my wife and I were contemplating driving to either Mt Ranier or St Helens today....perhaps I should stay away from volcanoes...

WJCO

Meme King
It's ironic that my wife and I were contemplating driving to either Mt Ranier or St Helens today....perhaps I should stay away from volcanoes...

Glad to hear you're safe on the mainland. If your jeeps are in danger, you can ship them to my place.

Brute

Hooked
Glad to hear you're safe on the mainland. If your jeeps are in danger, you can ship them to my place.

Not so sure how safe it is where I'm at...this June marks the ten year anniversary of the Mt St Helens eruption...

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
That’s pretty incredible and frightening at the same time. Hope you all stay safe out there.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Well.... apparently they put a TFR in place around the area. Plus it’s raining. No drone footage here is going to happen... or any footage for that matter. They’re keeping everyone pretty far away. The sulfur dioxide isn’t exactly good for you to breathe, especially if it’s raining.

jesse3638

Hooked
Not so sure how safe it is where I'm at...this June marks the ten year anniversary of the Mt St Helens eruption...

Back in 2007 I was working in OR and the helicopter I was working with had to fly into the crater to pick up a seismic team. I was trying to figure out a way to go as he needed someone to go with. Still kicking myself for not finagling something to take a day or two off..haha

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Just had 2 more breakouts last night and at least 2 houses on fire. They deployed the nasty girls to help keep everyone away.

So my dad was a geologist here and he said this is almost identical to the eruption in the 50s around the same area. This is all old lava that’s been sitting in the tubes for a while, hence it’s moving very slowly and cooling fast once it reaches the surface. Once all this older and cooler lava gets flushed out, fresher lava coming from the volcano up rift will come down and it’ll be much more fluid, and probably make another ocean entry. Until this thing stabilizes, there won’t be any public access so I guess if you want to see it, you’re gonna have to check out YouTube or the local news station. I think cnn had like a 10 second clip on it. Lol.

Edit: here is a link to a usgs webcam looking at the east rift zone and the neighborhood in which it is currently erupting.

https://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/cams/panorama.php?cam=PGcam

Last edited:
Top Bottom