Grand Things to Come - 2018 WK2 Grand Cherokee Hemi 4x4 Build

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
In anticipation of some light off road wheeling, in Ouray, CO, we are going to do a few modifications to our 2018 Grand Cherokee Sterling Edition 4x4.

Wheels and tires are here. Thanks to Clayton at Discount Tire Direct. American Outlaw Armor wheels in Liquid Chrome, 5x127, 18x8.5 with +10 offset (5.14” back space). Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, 265/65r18.

Stock back spacing is around 6.7 inches. I have the HD brake package, so caliper clearance is also a concern. Tire selection, and brake clearance is why I went with 18 inch wheels. Idk why Jeep sells a 4x4 with 20 inch wheels.

I’ll be replacing the stock 265/50r20 wheels and tires, in the morning. Stock tires are 30.4 inches. The new setup is 31.6.

If she rubs, I’ll do a small lift. I may do it anyway, lol.

IMG_1660.jpg
IMG_1661.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

longarmwj

Sweet!!! I never got to modify my WK2 any further than the exhaust when I had it, but even on street tires I was shocked with what I was able to get that thing to do!!! You’re gonna have fun with that rig.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Grand Things to Come - 2018 WK2 Grand Cherokee Hemi 4x4

Here they are...

IMG_1667.jpg
IMG_1668.jpg
IMG_1670.jpg
IMG_1675.jpg
IMG_1672.jpg
IMG_1673.jpg

Here is what I found out.

1) With the HD brake package, I doubt 17 inch wheels would work. Some will, I’m sure, but you will be safer going 18 inch.

2) Rear tire clearance seems to be no problem, at all. The front is tight. The drivers side seems to have less clearance than the passenger side. Despite everything I’ve read on the internet, you can’t go 1 in taller (30.4” to 31.6”), without rub on the front outer portion of the front fenders. “If you heard it on the internet, it must be true,” lol!

3. Install the lift first. I was going to try to get by without it, but I’m going to have to install a lift. They just sit too low in front. I’ll be going with a leveling kit, which is 2.5 inches up front, and 1 inch in the rear.

I’ll try to get good pics, and do a write up on the lift installation.

Last edited:

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Tires look great and will look even better with that lift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom