Going to 35's

sph801

Hello all. I'm new to this forum and looking forward to sharing and learning about Jeeps!

I'm looking to go to 35 inch tires real soon. I just installed Bushwacker flat fenders. Here's my Jeep as of right now.
IMG_4281.jpg
IMG_4282.jpg

2015 Rubicon
2" AEV spacer lift
Bushwacker flat fenders
Superwinch Talon 15,000 lb winch
285/70R17 Goodyear Duratrac tires
Stock 17" wheels

I want to go to 35 - 12.50 17 tires. As stated I installed flat fenders. While installing the fenders I trimmed 1" of off the rock rails. My questions are:

- What back spacing do i need so I won't rub? Everything I've read kind of points to 4.5" but it's been hard to get a definitive answer.

- I would like hubcentric wheels but they seem hard to find. The wheels I'm leaning towards are pictured below and I've read they come with a hubcentric ring when applicable. What does that mean??!!
IMG_4283.JPG

Does anyone run these wheels? How are they? The ones I want are 17x9 w/4.5 BS.

- I run the stock front bumper. Will the tires clear it running the wheels mentioned above?

One more thing I want to add is that I'm also purchasing the Rugged Ridge HD tire carrier to accommodate the heavier spare.

I guess that's about it. I look forward to hearing from the knowledgeable Jeep owners on this forum. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sph801

Welcome aboard, this is a hub centric ring
View attachment 300903
You put it on the hub and it fits between the hub and the diameter of the wheel

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks Pal! Thanks for the fast reply.

I guess my wording didn't present the question well. I know what the ring is but was wondering why the site said "when applicable". How do I know if I'll get them or not? Do you know the hub dimensions on a Jeep?

JKbrick

Thanks Pal! Thanks for the fast reply.

I guess my wording didn't present the question well. I know what the ring is but was wondering why the site said "when applicable". How do I know if I'll get them or not? Do you know the hub dimensions on a Jeep?

The smaller number on the pictured ring is the hub dia on mine, I assume the same on all of them? The larger number is the bore on an ATX Slab. That number probably varies by wheel. I really couldn’t tell you if any wheels come with them but the ones I bought were cheap, like $10 or $15 if I remember.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sph801

The smaller number on the pictured ring is the hub dia on mine, I assume the same on all of them? The larger number is the bore on an ATX Slab. That number probably varies by wheel. I really couldn’t tell you if any wheels come with them but the ones I bought were cheap, like $10 or $15 if I remember.

Nice. Thanks. Where did you get them?

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Your bumper should clear. You could trim it back and buy end caps ($60), if the do rub . Your jeep will look great. And do well with your rubicon gearing.

zimm

Caught the Bug
You're already set for 35's. 4.5" backspace is perfect. I started with AEV wheels which are 5.2", but they rubbed a lot.

Dirtysocks

When I first went to 35’s with a 2” spacer lift & flat fenders, the front tires rubbed on the front stock bumper on full lock. I ended up chopping the ends off until I got my Shrockworks shorty bumper. Also the front airdam needed to go.

sph801

When I first went to 35’s with a 2” spacer lift & flat fenders, the front tires rubbed on the front stock bumper on full lock. I ended up chopping the ends off until I got my Shrockworks shorty bumper. Also the front airdam needed to go.

Thanks for the info. Wheels and tires have been ordered. I may have to look at modifying the bumper and trimming or removing the air dam.

sph801

I was out of state for a few days. Came back and had a tire fitment check at the tire shop. I had to give my ok before my tires were brought in. Very disappointing because I thought they were ordered. [emoji20]. I hate waiting! Clearance looked good with my set up except at full lock the tire contacted the air dam. Piece of cake. Removed it, did a little trimming and re-installed. The front tires cleared the stock bumper but in spots was a little too close for comfort. When my tires are on I will see about modifying it. I don't want a stubby. I think I'll try a heat gun and see if I can custom contour the inside of the bumper.

On a plus note, I received the Rugged Ridge HD tire carrier and installed that so it's ready to go for the new spare. I've read some reviews that it was a horrible install and that nothing lined up. That couldn't have been farther from the truth for me. Everything went very smooth.

One last thing to order is some hub centric rings. I believe I need 78.3mm - 71.5. for the KMC XD Machete wheels. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks to everyone who helped point me in the right direction. I'll post pics when it's done!

Dirtysocks

Don’t forget to check clearance when flexing & on full lock. That’s when any clearance issue jump out. Enjoy the new tires!!

sph801

New tires and wheels are on! They still owe me the spare. Only 4 wheels were shipped. Maybe tomorrow. Loving the look. No rubbing but the tire is pretty close to the bumper when turning. May rub when tire gets stuffed while turning.

IMG_4343.jpg

sph801

Last piece of the puzzle. I didn't want a stubby bumper but I didn't want to risk rubbing at full lock when stuffing a tire into the wheel well. These VDP end caps make more of a mid length bumper and i thought they looked good with the flares. Good compromise.

IMG_4353.jpg

Top Bottom