AutoLine Pro EVAP Vacuum Automotive Smoke Machine Leak Detector

WJCO

Meme King
I got this new tool that I wanted to share with you guys. AutoLine Pro EVAP Smoke Machine Leak Detector. It's used for finding EVAP leaks or vacuum leaks. It fills the system with smoke and wherever the leak is, smoke will come out of that area. It runs off of a 12v battery and requires an air source of 100 psi or less (ARB single appears to work fine).

The kit consists of basically a small paint can. Inside is a large wick with a heating element coiled around it. It comes with a marble to drop in the bottom. Then you fill the can with smoke fluid (mineral oil) until the marble is covered. The wick soaks up the fluid and then when you hook up the battery to the heating element leads, the oil smokes. With the lid on and the air hooked up, the smoke comes out the outlet tube. The air inlet line has a built in regulator to keep the pressure really low. Also, the battery leads are fused so it won't burn up.

Our JK has an EVAP leak so I started browsing online for a smoke machine. The big ones that the dealers use are really expensive. Then I found several models like this one and decided to give it a try. This one was the most cost effective compared to the others, came with fluid, and looks like it was built professionally.

Here's some pics of the marble, the wick, and element:

DSC08280.jpg

DSC08281.jpg

The fluid:

DSC08284.jpg

Put the lid on and use a hammer to close it:

DSC08274.jpg

Attach your leads to either side of the can and battery, doesn't matter which way:

DSC08285.jpg

DSC08273.jpg

Hook up your air source and wait about a minute for smoke to start coming out:

DSC08275.jpg

DSC08279.jpg

The fitting at the end has several barbs on it so it looks like you can fit it in different diameter hoses. We replaced our gas cap already on ours and it didn't fix the problem. So I drilled out the old gas cap and siliconed in a hose so I can hook the smoke right up to the tank.

DSC08272.jpg

Eddie added it to the Wayalife store down at the bottom as well if you click this link:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/51019-Specialty-Tools-Ball-Joint-Press-Nutsert-Testing-Equipment

WJCO

Meme King
Any shots of it in action? I’m gonna have to get one. Think they will work on an exhaust system?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'll try to get some tomorrow. Sun was going down and I wanted to test that cap thing I built. I still didn't find the leak, but tank is full. I'm going to wait until the fuel level drops a little. I definitely think it would work on exhaust but you'd probably have to wrap a towel around it. After I smoked the tank tonight and pulled the cap, smoke billowed out of the filler neck for about 5 minutes. So it definitely puts out enough. I've used the big machine in shops but it belonged to the shop. Great tool.

Here's a pic from online. Looks like a diesel intercooler tube leaking:

LEAK_AIRBOX.jpg

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Oh, and if you do this in your garage, move your smoke detector inside the house temporarily :D

wjtstudios

Hooked
Pretty cool tool! It would have saved me a ton of headaches on my CJ chasing vacuum leaks and the old lines rotted out. I’ll have to look into that. Thank you!

A.J.

Handy tool! Safer than using a small propane torch. I used to just run the torch(not lit of course) around the intake and lines and listen for change in idle. This seems much better!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Any shots of it in action? I’m gonna have to get one. Think they will work on an exhaust system?

I smoked this thing again last night and can't find a leak. I'm going to try one more time and then just replace the leak detection pump for trial and error, it's only 25 bucks. But last night, when I removed the smoke machine, I snapped some pics of how much it puts out coming out of the filler. If there was a leak that was even a pin hole, this stuff would be visible.

DSC08287.jpg

DSC08288.jpg

tdougherty81

I got this new tool that I wanted to share with you guys. AutoLine Pro EVAP Smoke Machine Leak Detector. It's used for finding EVAP leaks or vacuum leaks. It fills the system with smoke and wherever the leak is, smoke will come out of that area. It runs off of a 12v battery and requires an air source of 100 psi or less (ARB single appears to work fine).

The kit consists of basically a small paint can. Inside is a large wick with a heating element coiled around it. It comes with a marble to drop in the bottom. Then you fill the can with smoke fluid (mineral oil) until the marble is covered. The wick soaks up the fluid and then when you hook up the battery to the heating element leads, the oil smokes. With the lid on and the air hooked up, the smoke comes out the outlet tube. The air inlet line has a built in regulator to keep the pressure really low. Also, the battery leads are fused so it won't burn up.

Our JK has an EVAP leak so I started browsing online for a smoke machine. The big ones that the dealers use are really expensive. Then I found several models like this one and decided to give it a try. This one was the most cost effective compared to the others, came with fluid, and looks like it was built professionally.

Here's some pics of the marble, the wick, and element:

View attachment 301039

View attachment 301040

The fluid:

View attachment 301041

Put the lid on and use a hammer to close it:

View attachment 301042

Attach your leads to either side of the can and battery, doesn't matter which way:

View attachment 301044

View attachment 301043

Hook up your air source and wait about a minute for smoke to start coming out:

View attachment 301045

View attachment 301046

The fitting at the end has several barbs on it so it looks like you can fit it in different diameter hoses. We replaced our gas cap already on ours and it didn't fix the problem. So I drilled out the old gas cap and siliconed in a hose so I can hook the smoke right up to the tank.

View attachment 301047

Eddie added it to the Wayalife store down at the bottom as well if you click this link:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/51019-Specialty-Tools-Ball-Joint-Press-Nutsert-Testing-Equipment

Sometimes its just a bad sensor and not an actual leak. It was for me recently. Just swapped out the evap leak detection pump.

20180501_130859.jpg 20180501_130929.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Sometimes its just a bad sensor and not an actual leak. It was for me recently. Just swapped out the evap leak detection pump.

Thanks for the tip. I'm leaning towards that very soon. Another factor is that the code won't even clear. So it's detecting an evap leak without the engine even running, so may be that sensor. If it ends up being that, I'm still happy I got the tool, I can use it for a lot of other diag.

tdougherty81

Thanks for the tip. I'm leaning towards that very soon. Another factor is that the code won't even clear. So it's detecting an evap leak without the engine even running, so may be that sensor. If it ends up being that, I'm still happy I got the tool, I can use it for a lot of other diag.

For sure. I thought about making one too but ended up using one at a friends shop.

I could clear the code about once a week, then it would pop up everyday and finally it would pop up immediately after clearing it.

Top Bottom