ATX Slab Inserts - Black Steel Vs Stainless

TrailHunter

Hooked
So I just got a set of used Slabs and will be refreshing them prior to install. I am assuming the inserts I have are stainless because they are silverish and slightly rusted/weathered like the bolts. I noticed on spyderlock’s website they have switched to “black” steel inserts and coated bolts... they also say that if you switch to standard steel inserts the pitch is different so you need to retap the hole. Ideally I’d like to just brush the surface rust off the current bolts & inserts and keep things simple.... So my question is this:

1. Are the newer ATX wheels running the “black” inserts? Or is it just a Spyderlock thing?

2. Is it worth changing ALL the inserts to “black” steel (thats a lot of thread tapping) or just order some stainless inserts and replace the few that are bad?

2. Should anti-seize be applied on the stainless bolts when only using “black” steel or as well with stainless inserts?

JKbrick

So I just got a set of used Slabs and will be refreshing them prior to install. I am assuming the inserts I have are stainless because they are silverish and slightly rusted/weathered like the bolts. I noticed on spyderlock’s website they have switched to “black” steel inserts and coated bolts... they also say that if you switch to standard steel inserts the pitch is different so you need to retap the hole. Ideally I’d like to just brush the surface rust off the current bolts & inserts and keep things simple.... So my question is this:

1. Are the newer ATX wheels running the “black” inserts? Or is it just a Spyderlock thing?

2. Is it worth changing ALL the inserts to “black” steel (thats a lot of thread tapping) or just order some stainless inserts and replace the few that are bad?

2. Should anti-seize be applied on the stainless bolts when only using “black” steel or as well with stainless inserts?

I bought a used set of slabs last winter, I had to screw a few of the inserts back in the wheels but I just bought new bolts and put a small dab of anti seize on each bolt. The rings got cleaned up then I put them all together with 27 ft pd I believe

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

you had the stainless inserts?

Honestly I don’t know, I didn’t care if the inserts were new cause you can’t see them. I did dip a tap in oil and cleaned the threads but I just matched up the old bolts with new ones. The backs of the rings were pretty cruddy so I wire wheeled the backs

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

To the best of my knowledge, Spyderlock wheels are still made by WheelPros - the same company that makes ATX. Having run both, I can tell you that BOTH have black steel inserts in the wheels. Unless something has changed, nothing should be different.

I install my bolts dry.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
To the best of my knowledge, Spyderlock wheels are still made by WheelPros - the same company that makes ATX. Having run both, I can tell you that BOTH have black steel inserts in the wheels. Unless something has changed, nothing should be different.

I install my bolts dry.
Don't ever move here, the bolts rust before you even install them lol. Antisieze the crap out of everything

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked

I install my bolts dry.

Thanks Eddie... Being that the wheels I just got are older and have the Stainless inserts... I would be correct in ordering stainless inserts (for the few I need) and also installing dry? (Stainless w/ stainless)

IMG_7779.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie... Being that the wheels I just got are older and have the Stainless inserts... I would be correct in ordering stainless inserts (for the few I need) and also installing dry? (Stainless w/ stainless)

Honestly, looking at your pic, I'm totally confused. When I look at the insert on the left, you can clearly see how it's got 2 notches in it - this is where the install tool or big ass flat head screwdriver locks into it. The insert you have backed out has none. It's almost like it was installed upside down or is just the wrong one.

Either way, I would remove it completely and get a size/thread pitch check on it. You can take it to any Lowes hardware, ACE or the like and use one of their sizing tools to verify what you need.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Honestly, looking at your pic, I'm totally confused. When I look at the insert on the left, you can clearly see how it's got 2 notches in it - this is where the install tool or big ass flat head screwdriver locks into it. The insert you have backed out has none. It's almost like it was installed upside down or is just the wrong one.

Lol... sorry.. I just set it upside down so you could see the color better. The top is a little rusty like the others..

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok - this is what you should need. At least, it’s what I’ve been using on all my ATX Slabs, Chamber Pro II’s and my old Spyderlocks.

final.jpg

As you can see, these are black oxide with red thread locker on them.

final.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Should be this one, but in Stainless I’m thinking.... otherwise I would need to Retap the hole.. not 100% sure though. I can order both and find out.

LOL!! Just posted up a new pic.

Doesn't matter if it black, stainless or made of gold. If the thread pitch is the same, there's nothing to re-tap.

dillard09

Also if you have any question you can call Spyderlocks. I bought some inserts and bolts from them for my Slabs. They were very helpfull and knowledgeable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
I could be wrong but if your inserts were stainless how would it be rusty? Does a magnet stick to the one that is out?

“Stainless” can still rust and be magnetic, depending on the grade and mixture... yes these are magnetic which I think would explain the rust... the heads of the bolts are clean, but the threads where moisture can be trapped, are a little rusty. Same goes for stainless blades n such.

You’re not going to see the insert anyway. Fastenal sells them (will probably have to order in for you) and should be like 40-50 cents a piece.

Yeah, definitely not worried about how they look... there is a Fastenal near my house, I’ll swing by with Eddies part no.

Also if you have any question you can call Spyderlocks. I bought some inserts and bolts from them for my Slabs. They were very helpfull and knowledgeable.

This is from Spyderlok’s website which kinda sparked my question:
IMG_7780.jpg

Thanks guys!!!

Top Bottom