Softening the ride in my YJ?

jeepsheets

I’m sure this will get some eye roll, but here goes.

My wife doesn’t enjoy riding in the Jeep. I’m guessing I have about a 3” lift on 33’s. Was all done when I bought it. Has skyjacker shocks.

I don’t have bottomless pockets, but wouldn’t be against replacing springs and shocks. Are there other things I can do?

I’m not looking for a Cadillac ride, just something that doesn’t hurt your teeth when you hit a speed bump.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

Less air in your tires is about all I can think of to soften the ride in a leaf sprung rig. Or delete a leaf or two.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

longarmwj

Good shocks can make a huge difference. A set of King or Fox shocks will change how it rides big time. Also there are companies that make softer spring packs for YJs that you could look into

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Realistically leaf springs are leaf springs. They are never going to be truly "soft". However as others have mentioned better shocks and ensure the bushings on your leaf springs are not work out.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeepsheets

Good shocks can make a huge difference. A set of King or Fox shocks will change how it rides big time. Also there are companies that make softer spring packs for YJs that you could look into

Thanks. I’m going to look into softer springs and shocks. I’m pretty mechanical but have never done shocks/springs. Can it be done easily enough at home?

PT1400

Add weight. Seriously. Add enough weight to drop the fender height a half inch. Also if your air pressure is over 25 psi, you're killing yourself.

jeepsheets

Add weight. Seriously. Add enough weight to drop the fender height a half inch. Also if your air pressure is over 25 psi, you're killing yourself.

I’m looking into air pressure change. I’m pretty much driving to kids baseball tourneys so mostly surface streets and main thoroughfares. Does that make a difference with air pressure? Bridgestone A/T KOs.

jesse3638

Hooked
I’m looking into air pressure change. I’m pretty much driving to kids baseball tourneys so mostly surface streets and main thoroughfares. Does that make a difference with air pressure? Bridgestone A/T KOs.

Yeah even over smooth street it'll help. Try dropping them 5 PSI and see how it feels. Maybe go down to about 20. You don't want to go too low for everyday driving as you could cause uneven wear.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

PT1400

Another thing you could do is a little math.

Tire weight rating X 4 tires. Say it's weight rating is 2250 lbs per tire.
2250 X 4=9000 lbs

Weight of your jeep ÷ 9000
Say you Jeep weighs in at 3800 lbs
3800 ÷ 9000=0.42

Take your Max tire pressure X 0.42. I think the ATs are 50 psi max depending on the size & sidewall.

50 X 0.42= 21 psi per tire.

This would give you a good starting point. If the math scares you, post the following and I'll help you out.

Tire weight rating
Max tire pressure
Approximate Jeep weight

jeepsheets

Another thing you could do is a little math.

Tire weight rating X 4 tires. Say it's weight rating is 2250 lbs per tire.
2250 X 4=9000 lbs

Weight of your jeep ÷ 9000
Say you Jeep weighs in at 3800 lbs
3800 ÷ 9000=0.42

Take your Max tire pressure X 0.42. I think the ATs are 50 psi max depending on the size & sidewall.

50 X 0.42= 21 psi per tire.

This would give you a good starting point. If the math scares you, post the following and I'll help you out.

Tire weight rating
Max tire pressure
Approximate Jeep weight

Great info and starting point. Aside from the lift and tires it’s basically stock. It’s in the shop having rear main seal, oil pan gasket and rod bearings replaced right now ( more than I wanted to do myself), but when she gets home next week I’ll break out the calculator! Thanks for the advice.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
I’m sure this will get some eye roll, but here goes.

My wife doesn’t enjoy riding in the Jeep. I’m guessing I have about a 3” lift on 33’s. Was all done when I bought it. Has skyjacker shocks.

I don’t have bottomless pockets, but wouldn’t be against replacing springs and shocks. Are there other things I can do?

I’m not looking for a Cadillac ride, just something that doesn’t hurt your teeth when you hit a speed bump.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Shackle reversal makes going over speed bumps less jarring, worked great on my old CJ.

Oreo_penguin536

Are you springs flat or old? My yj is about as graceful as a flying brick when it comes to bumps. I think part of the problem is you hit your bump stops. Atleast with mine I’m almost certain that’s the issue. I have less than 2 inches of clearance between bumpstops and axle, leafs are flat almost inverted. A new spring pack for 1 corner is 70 bucks on eBay I believe I found it for that.
I’m going to end up swapping springs and shocks because of the bunpstop issue for sure...

dos0711

Check the torque on your leaf spring shackles...some people don't know they are suppose to be torqued to a spec and just tighten them as hard as they can.

97TJ

Are your tires rated D or E? A lot of people use those truck tires and suffer a less forgiving ride. Lowering tire pressure is a good bet for a softer ride.

I'd say how low one guy keeps his but people would howl about tire manufacturer recommendations.

My buggy has a ride that is much too stiff. The builder only cared about off road performance. I am considering replacing the six leaf spring configuration with about three. The leaf springs are from a 1980's vintage V-8 YJ - I think. Yet the buggy has a four popper. All it needs, due to the doubler, for 38" tires.

Reminds me, I need to put hinges on the roll cage bars next to the driver. Getting in and out through the roof is too much work for a 6'5" guy.

zomblake

Would replacing the spring bushings with softer rubber make any difference? Poly bushings definitely transfer more vibration on engine mounts. Hardened stock rubber spring bushings might do something similar but I can't say for sure.

Top Bottom