Blown CV Boot?

lonestarnation

Crawled under my 2016 JKU today to change the transfer case fluid at 60k miles. Noticed some black splatter behind the transfer case on the rear driveshaft. Is this a blown CV boot? Do I have to replace the driveshaft? I've got a 2.5 in AEV dualsport lift on a 2016 JKU.

WJCO

Meme King
You can replace just the boot but it will do it again. Might as well replace the shaft with a ujoint style.

lonestarnation

Thanks. Can you educate me a little? I'm assuming if I can use a wrench I can replace it myself. Should I buy new or look for used? Best place to get one new? Appreciate the help.

I should add this is a daily driver that sees a ton of highway miles.

Last edited:

kferrarini

My recommendation is check/fix your pinion angles.

My jeep, when new to me (two previous owners) had a horrible pro comp 4" lift that netted about 4.5. Both my drive shafts were starting to display what your pictures show. Once i dropped to a 2.5" lift and, as important dialed in caster/pinion angle no more spatter. ( i waited to clean grease splatter until after fixing the geometry as a control study). Hope my experience helps.

Sent from my SM-G935P using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After a fair amount of research, I'm gonna give the Teraflex RZeppa a shot.

Please don't waste your money on that POS assuming it's still being sold. The reason why your CV boot fail is because your drive shaft is now sitting at a steep enough angle that the boot will be in a constant state of pinch and this is causing the boot to fail prematurely. The right solution is to replace your shaft with a double cardan style one but if you're okay with replacing CV boots on a regular basis, I would recommend that you just get the Omix-Ada rebuild kit:

https://amzn.to/2IfRR9T

Please don't waste your money on that POS assuming it's still being sold. The reason why your CV boot fail is because your drive shaft is now sitting at a steep enough angle that the boot will be in a constant state of pinch and this is causing the boot to fail prematurely. The right solution is to replace your shaft with a double cardan style one but if you're okay with replacing CV boots on a regular basis, I would recommend that you just get the Omix-Ada rebuild kit:

^^^this^^^ when mine went to shit, I didn’t even mess around with the boots again. Bought some Adams drive shafts and called it a day. Buy once cry once.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Another vote for Adams. 1310 shafts are fine for most jeeps. Its not a terrible swap. The hardest part is getting the old pinion nut off. Adams has great videos of the install.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Haha. Said it before and will say it again... should be rule to be a member for awhile, then go buy.
Some have to learn the hard way- -Speaking from experience🤬

Ha so true. Most of their parts I received for free being that they were take off parts from a fresh build our shop did and the customer didn’t want. That being said, sometimes free costs more.

WJCO

Meme King
After a fair amount of research, I'm gonna give the Teraflex RZeppa a shot.

Agree^^^ [emoji106] I tried the teraflex fix, didn’t last long at all.

Haha. Said it before and will say it again... should be rule to be a member for awhile, then go buy.
Some have to learn the hard way- -Speaking from experience��

The teraflex high angle rzeppa joint will not solve your problem. It doesn't address the problem. Here's a failure of one:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...have-this-week?p=954366&viewfull=1#post954366

IMG_20180513_124302_040.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
if budget is a concern, repair with the Omix-Ada kit and make sure the angle is corrected.

If you wheel often, you'll want to save and replace the DS sooner than later.

I've seen several fail on the trail with the owner uttering something similar to .... @#@%@%@# I just fixed it not that long ago...

Slimebones

FYI, back when I ran the stock driveshaft, I tried using the Omix-Ada kit to repair it. Did not like the movement in the joint when rotating it, had a definite bind to it (not smooth at all). If at all possible, move up to a double-cardan shaft. Do the math. Just my experience on this, passing it on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom