Emergency help

I have a 2012 wrangler unlimited sport in right hand drive(bone stock) that I use for mail delivery. Yesterday was my first day using it on the route and it went into full limp mode. It had been toying with me for a while before this and being new to Jeeps I figured it was in eco mode or something. At first it would cap my rpms at 2500 in 3rd gear and on(pretty much after getting to highway speed) but it I really have it gas it would go higher. Now, full limp mode. First won’t go past 3k and every other gear stops at 2.5k rpms even with my foot to the floor.
In park it won’t go past 3.5k.
No dealerships are open where I live today and I’m on the route again tomorrow! I’m panicking at the moment. I’ve been reading for hours and the only thing I’ve learned is that it could be anything. I checked and the camshaft position sensor looks like it’s been replaced recently. It’s thrown a bunch of codes when looked up all point to that sensor. Other than that I have no idea please help!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is your Jeep stock or is it running bigger tires or different gears? Are you getting lights on your dash like ABS, ESP or other wise?

Bone stock, I’m getting the oil light and traction control light. Also have the GASCAP sign over the odometer but upon inspection it looks like that was from a hanging hose connecting to the evap. Also would take about 4 seconds of cranking for it to start all yesterday. Started it and drove it to the gas station this morning and it started fine. Everything was fine till I tried to get on it a little bit. Did a very hard shift at 3500 rpms and then back to limp mode

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, the traction control light could point to your problem being a bad speed sensor, one that has a loose or chaffed wire or one that is unplugged. The hard start and hard shift could point to it being a camshaft position sensor. Being that you said you got a code for that, it's more than likely your problem.

So update. I had the negative terminal off for about 45 minutes. Seemed to clear all the codes and everything was fine. About 10 minutes of driving to the auto parts store and back and the oil light and traction control light came back on, aaand back into limp mode.
The camshaft position sensor looks pretty damn new which makes me wonder, because yeah all the codes point to that. Might not have anything to do with it but if it helps the Jeep warms up insanely fast. 2 minutes of idle and it’ll be all the way warmed up

Here are some pictures

Attachments

• A5D92621-5B8A-41B7-8655-140AA5462DF9.jpg
    A5D92621-5B8A-41B7-8655-140AA5462DF9.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 297
  • 5D999E4A-B3D5-4466-81DF-0927ADA2B9A1.jpg
    5D999E4A-B3D5-4466-81DF-0927ADA2B9A1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 294
  • 70BF27A6-FB9C-4DEB-937B-33151BB733C5.jpg
    70BF27A6-FB9C-4DEB-937B-33151BB733C5.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 301
Update.
Took it to the dealership near me. They said they checked all wires and no signal was coming from the camshaft position sensor. So I bought one, swapped them out, and it’s still in mucho limp mode. Pretty hosed at the moment

jeeeep

Hooked
Update.
Took it to the dealership near me. They said they checked all wires and no signal was coming from the camshaft position sensor. So I bought one, swapped them out, and it’s still in mucho limp mode. Pretty hosed at the moment

did they do any other diagnostics? PCM, crankshaft position sensor, starter, wiring harness any corroded or broken wires to the battery?

From what he said they checked the wiring harness and everything leading too/from the sensor. Not sure about anything else. I’ll have to take it back today

Update! After being at Aamco for a week they figured out the ground wire inside the connector itself that connects to the camshaft position sensor was either cracked or broken(can’t remember how he phrased it)
So if this works I’ll post a solved thread! I’ll find out Friday

WJCO

Meme King
Update! After being at Aamco for a week they figured out the ground wire inside the connector itself that connects to the camshaft position sensor was either cracked or broken(can’t remember how he phrased it)
So if this works I’ll post a solved thread! I’ll find out Friday

Hope it's fixed. Blows me away that an Aamco found it over a dealership, but hope they did.

JK_MARINE_93

Been having the exact same problem with a little bit of extra problems! But I just saw this thread and I’m going to the dealership in about 20 minutes to see what’s wrong. I really want to know what happened to your JEEP !

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom