40” vs 37”

rubiconrunner

Here we go, moving up from a 37” tire to a 40”.

I currently run a 3.00” lift with stock arms and the articulation sucks, on road driving sucks.... either way, I’m going up to LA suspension. coilovers in front. 3.5” coils on rear.

I’m about 4” shy from hitting the top of my garage. If I go up to a 40”.... think I’ll still fit? I’ve read countless forums but I can’t find the overall mounted and balanced height of the STT pro 40” or a nitto? perhaps.

Currently running the STT PRO 37x13.50.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's what I'm running on both my JK's and they fit just fine in my garage with a standard 7' header.

RockingK

Oh my

That is ambitious, I went from 33 to 35 to 37 to 38x14.5x17 and have a set of 40x13.5x17’s but it took breaking a lot of parts to finally have a dependable and capable wheeler with wider stronger 60’s, PSC steering, stronger drive lines Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case and a Hemi to push it all. Mine is a two door also and am considering stretching it if I go to 40’s and add a ladder:rock:

rubiconrunner

That is ambitious, I went from 33 to 35 to 37 to 38x14.5x17 and have a set of 40x13.5x17’s but it took breaking a lot of parts to finally have a dependable and capable wheeler with wider stronger 60’s, PSC steering, stronger drive lines Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case and a Hemi to push it all. Mine is a two door also and am considering stretching it if I go to 40’s and add a ladder:

Found it. Much rather run a 40 vs a 38 that cost way much more.

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
I'd worry about putting together solid suspension first. Long arms will be a good upgrade but I'm not understanding coil overs on the front and coil and shock on the rear.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

rubiconrunner

I'd worry about putting together solid suspension first. Long arms will be a good upgrade but I'm not understanding coil overs on the front and coil and shock on the rear.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Personally I don’t see a huge benefit to running coilovers in the rear for the cost. I’m not doing shock mounts inside the tub since i still have to drive to trails and back and has to be road friendly.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Personally I don’t see a huge benefit to running coilovers in the rear for the cost. I’m not doing shock mounts inside the tub since i still have to drive to trails and back and has to be road friendly.

Shock mounts inside the tub? What coilover kit are you looking at? And why would adding the coilovers to the rear make your ride less "road friendly"?

rubiconrunner

Shock mounts inside the tub? What coilover kit are you looking at? And why would adding the coilovers to the rear make your ride less "road friendly"?

I’ve looked at almost all of them. And I think for the rear everything is kinda overkill for my wheeling style, area and preference. In your personal opinion, is there a huge advantage for the rear coil over system? I’ve read over countless forum posts. And can’t determine the huge advantage. I do see it upfront, but the rear? haven’t had a bunch of clarity on it

rubiconrunner

I’ve also considered the rock krawler xfactor 3.5” kit. I think it’s pretty complete kit but something about cutting off spring perches on the frame doesn’t sit very well with me.

I’ve also read it can ride rather harsh? not sure but I got a SMOKING deal on one. Anyone have experience with this one?

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I’ve looked at almost all of them. And I think for the rear everything is kinda overkill for my wheeling style, area and preference. In your personal opinion, is there a huge advantage for the rear coil over system? I’ve read over countless forum posts. And can’t determine the huge advantage. I do see it upfront, but the rear? haven’t had a bunch of clarity on it

If you were only doing it temporarily to save up for the rear, I could understand. It doesn't make since to me having two different suspension systems on your Jeep.

I’ve also considered the rock krawler xfactor 3.5” kit. I think it’s pretty complete kit but something about cutting off spring perches on the frame doesn’t sit very well with me.

I’ve also read it can ride rather harsh? not sure but I got a SMOKING deal on one. Anyone have experience with this one?

The RK 3.5" lift blows... And if your planning on going long arm, which you probably should moving to 40's, your going to have to cut off all your frame mounts. Maybe you should slow down a bit and actually look into what you need to do to run 40's instead of jumping straight in. Have you even thought about steering?

Top Bottom