When is 35 spline shafts a bad thing.

The BAD Influence

I recently stumbled across an article the was stating 35 spline shafts in a D44 is bad thing, and the author recommended no higher than 30. I thought I pinned the article so I could read it more carefully later, but now cant find it. The just of the article was that putting 35 spline shafts in a D44 that was not "specifically designed" to handle them, would put too much pressure on the carrier, and somehow this would transfer too much pressure to the housing, causing failure. Sorry, again, I just glanced over the article, and am not experienced enough to articulate exactly what was being said.
This grabbed my attention because I'm getting oh so close to having the funds for my Trail Leader package from Dynatrac. Based on this article I assume the front PR44 is "specifically designed" to handle the 35 spline shafts that its shipped with, but my stock rear D44 is not.
Is this something I really need to worry about, is this a case where truely bigger isn't better?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I recently stumbled across an article the was stating 35 spline shafts in a D44 is bad thing, and the author recommended no higher than 30. I thought I pinned the article so I could read it more carefully later, but now cant find it. The just of the article was that putting 35 spline shafts in a D44 that was not "specifically designed" to handle them, would put too much pressure on the carrier, and somehow this would transfer too much pressure to the housing, causing failure. Sorry, again, I just glanced over the article, and am not experienced enough to articulate exactly what was being said.
This grabbed my attention because I'm getting oh so close to having the funds for my Trail Leader package from Dynatrac. Based on this article I assume the front PR44 is "specifically designed" to handle the 35 spline shafts that its shipped with, but my stock rear D44 is not.
Is this something I really need to worry about, is this a case where truely bigger isn't better?

the article was most likely talking about the factory FRONT D44, as it is not a TRUE d44. The rear IS a true d44 axle and will handle the 35 spline just fine. :beer:

Benito

Caught the Bug

the article was most likely talking about the factory FRONT D44, as it is not a TRUE d44. The rear IS a true d44 axle and will handle the 35 spline just fine. :beer:

To add to what Dwiggles said, they may have also been talking about 1st gen D44, which have a smaller ring and pinion. This link from Dynatrac shows what I’m talking about

https://www.dynatrac.com/blog/the-difference-between-new-generation-dana-44-axles-and-older-ones/

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
To add to what Dwiggles said, they may have also been talking about 1st gen D44, which have a smaller ring and pinion. This link from Dynatrac shows what I’m talking about

https://www.dynatrac.com/blog/the-difference-between-new-generation-dana-44-axles-and-older-ones/

That was my first Immediate thought. But then I saw the OP specifically calls out:

blah blah blah transfer too much pressure to the housing, causing failure. blah blah blah

:idontknow: Either way, I think we ALL agree, the rear factory 44 in a JK can handle 35 spline shafts while still bending flanges just fine... :cheesy:

The BAD Influence

That was my first Immediate thought. But then I saw the OP specifically calls out:

:idontknow: Either way, I think we ALL agree, the rear factory 44 in a JK can handle 35 spline shafts while still bending flanges just fine... :cheesy:

Great information. Thank you

Top Bottom