ORI for JKs?

CRZRTX

Has anyone used ORI off-road shocks on their JKU? They are supposed to be superior off road but what about applications where you drive mostly off road but some on road too? Is the on road temperament acceptable?

Attachments

• stx-strut-black-001.jpg
    stx-strut-black-001.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 273

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
All the Jeeps I know that run them are strictly trail rigs. Don’t know if anyone driving on the road with them

CRZRTX

All the Jeeps I know that run them are strictly trail rigs. Don’t know if anyone driving on the road with them

Same here. I was hoping someone in the forum had blazed this trail, but apparently not. I was also hoping the ORI website would be helpful, it is a little bit as far at specs, but no application data.

I have a friend running them on the back of a TJ. He says they are great for big bumps, but chatter on small stuff going down the highway.

Getting them tuned is another challenge. But once dialed in they should be good.

I-Eat-Mud

There’s a company called gray wolf off-road that does a bolt on ORI kit, they daily drive them and claim they’re great. Personally I’m just not convinced that I’d want ORIs on a daily driver or anything that’s driven a lot on the street. I do believe we’ll be seeing a lot more of them on daily driven rigs in the near future though.

Street legality is also a concern I believe. Another thing I’ve wondered, is what happens if you blow an ORI strut and need to make it home? I know they’re super strong, it’s just something I wondered about when I thought about it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
I was always under the impression that these struts are more for extreme articulation than handling everyday road hazards like potholes, bridge abutments, etc. Being that they replace both the springs and shocks I would imagine your Jeep would handle street driving like an empty dump truck. AT $700 each that's comparable to a King coilover which have a proven track record on the street. :twocents:

zimm

Caught the Bug
The fab shop I used to frequent has a couple of buggies and a TJ build using ORI's. I asked them about JKUs, and they said they're too heavy for a single ORI, so you'd have to run 2 at each corner. I looked at the website, and they claim 1900 pounds per strut, so maybe they beefed them up since I was looked into it a couple years ago.

Ddays

Hooked
The fab shop I used to frequent has a couple of buggies and a TJ build using ORI's. I asked them about JKUs, and they said they're too heavy for a single ORI, so you'd have to run 2 at each corner. I looked at the website, and they claim 1900 pounds per strut, so maybe they beefed them up since I was looked into it a couple years ago.

Grubbicon built his Jeep on ORI's and tons here a couple years ago Not sure how happy he was with the build afterwards as he ended up getting rid of the Jeep. But that was not a light Jeep by any means and he beat the shit out of that thing. But again, that was pretty much a trailered rig at that point.

If I was looking to drop that much coin on a suspension setup I'd go with the proven EVO DTD system and call it a day. If Mel can win races with an off the shelf system like this what more does a guy need?

zimm

Caught the Bug
I did some digging around and they're not designed for a daily driver, etc. They get hot when run at speed. I think they make the most sense in a rock crawler/buggy where simplicity is key. Springs, dampening, limiter, bump stop all rolled into one. Perfect for a tube frame build that doesn't go over 10mph.

Here's a rock bouncer I went off roading with running ORI's.

41407915864_b3dab28308_k.jpg

Last edited:

CRZRTX

Grubbicon built his Jeep on ORI's and tons here a couple years ago Not sure how happy he was with the build afterwards as he ended up getting rid of the Jeep. But that was not a light Jeep by any means and he beat the shit out of that thing. But again, that was pretty much a trailered rig at that point.

If I was looking to drop that much coin on a suspension setup I'd go with the proven EVO DTD system and call it a day. If Mel can win races with an off the shelf system like this what more does a guy need?

Makes sense. Thanks for the input.

Top Bottom