Tell me about Carson City!

Hey all. Not sure exactly where to post this but I figured this would be a good start. Wife just graduated with a degree in engineering and has a few offers on the table. One of which is with a company located near Carson City. Being that we live in salt lake, I believe the climate is similar. We’re somewhat in the minority in that were non religious so Salt Lake can get...uh....stifling sometimes. Would like to know a bit more about Carson city and the surrounding areas. We’re planning a trip out that way later this year to check it out.

Obviously Eddie and Cindy seem to love it there and for good reason. But some info on housing, local jobs, schools etc would be cool.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all. Not sure exactly where to post this but I figured this would be a good start. Wife just graduated with a degree in engineering and has a few offers on the table. One of which is with a company located near Carson City. Being that we live in salt lake, I believe the climate is similar. We’re somewhat in the minority in that were non religious so Salt Lake can get...uh....stifling sometimes. Would like to know a bit more about Carson city and the surrounding areas. We’re planning a trip out that way later this year to check it out.

Obviously Eddie and Cindy seem to love it there and for good reason. But some info on housing, local jobs, schools etc would be cool.

Sorry, we're all full. Try the next town please ;)

Seriously, it's a LOT smaller than Salt Lake City. Unfortunately, it is starting to grow. Climate is very similar and politically, it's very conservative if that matters to you. Schools are really nice hear. There are jobs here but most of the big companies are about half an hour away in the Reno.

Let me know when you're coming out. If we're around, I'd be happy to show you around.

Sorry, we're all full. Try the next town please ;)

Seriously, it's a LOT smaller than Salt Lake City. Unfortunately, it is starting to grow. Climate is very similar and politically, it's very conservative if that matters to you. Schools are really nice hear. There are jobs here but most of the big companies are about half an hour away in the Reno.

Let me know when you're coming out. If we're around, I'd be happy to show you around.

Damn! I saw the No vacancy sign but was hoping it just stuck on... seriously I certainly appreciate the input and I’ll be sure to let you know when we’re coming out. The company that has offered her a spot is about half an hour or so away but we don’t want to live in Reno so that left Carson City or Tahoe in the list and we refuse to live in California side of Tahoe and it would cost too much anyway. We like it here in Salt Lake, and without trying to offend anyone, the LDS culture is just too narrow for us and the way we want to raise the kids. Aside from great wheeling and our desert and proximity to Moab, salt lake just doesn’t have much to offer us.

Washington is also on the table as far as job offers go but that’s a day and a half drive to Moab and NO desert to go play in. Plus every trail seems to have mud on it. Im sorry for turning this into a “hey what should I do next” conversation but looking up demographics and statistics on a city online, is like looking up how to treat an STD in the Bible. I’d rather just talk to people that live there.

Seems like everyone is moving to Nevada...

Seems like that’s one of the last places that isn’t totally f$&@ed up. Aside from Washington. I’m from Snoqualmie/North Bend and I love my home town. But damn things are getting expensive there and as stated before, I’m not sure I can handle being a 16 hour drive to Moab. 10-12 maybe but 16-18. Not sure.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Damn! I saw the No vacancy sign but was hoping it just stuck on... seriously I certainly appreciate the input and I’ll be sure to let you know when we’re coming out. The company that has offered her a spot is about half an hour or so away but we don’t want to live in Reno so that left Carson City or Tahoe in the list and we refuse to live in California side of Tahoe and it would cost too much anyway. We like it here in Salt Lake, and without trying to offend anyone, the LDS culture is just too narrow for us and the way we want to raise the kids. Aside from great wheeling and our desert and proximity to Moab, salt lake just doesn’t have much to offer us.

Washington is also on the table as far as job offers go but that’s a day and a half drive to Moab and NO desert to go play in. Plus every trail seems to have mud on it. Im sorry for turning this into a “hey what should I do next” conversation but looking up demographics and statistics on a city online, is like looking up how to treat an STD in the Bible. I’d rather just talk to people that live there.

Whereabouts in Washington? Most of the central to eastern side of Washington is high desert area.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
Haha! I was going to say the same thing as Eddie...i.e. Nevada is full.

Carson City is nice, but it is small. Just make sure that is what you are looking for. But generally Northern Nevada is great. Great weather, close to skiing/snowboarding, Tahoe in the winter/summer, offloading, airport in Reno is small, you can get anywhere on the west coast in ~2 hours, San Fransisco in 3.5 no state income tax, etc., etc,

PM coming re: the job.

jesse3638

Hooked
Haha! I was going to say the same thing as Eddie...i.e. Nevada is full.

Carson City is nice, but it is small. Just make sure that is what you are looking for. But generally Northern Nevada is great. Great weather, close to skiing/snowboarding, Tahoe in the winter/summer, offloading, airport in Reno is small, you can get anywhere on the west coast in ~2 hours, San Fransisco in 3.5 no state income tax, etc., etc,

PM coming re: the job.
I don't see a problem with that..haha. I could have transfered up there if only I had seen the announcement 1 day earlier as it closed the day before I saw it. Would have been awesome.

Edit: Casey, Congrats to you and your wife. I understand your sentiment about Salt Lake. There is nothing wrong with it, it's just not for everyone. To be honest when I met you in Moab last year I wasn't sure how to approach you but then you dropped an F bomb so I figured you out..haha.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Unfortunately, Nevada is changing very quickly and not for the better (in my opinion). November will be very interesting and I think there is about an 80% likelihood of having both a blue Governor and blue Legislature. And by blue, I mean screaming liberal Berkeley Blue...not old school Nevada blue. If things keep moving they way they have been, I could see myself moving out of Nevada once my kids have graduated.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Unfortunately, Nevada is changing very quickly and not for the better (in my opinion). November will be very interesting and I think there is about an 80% likelihood of having both a blue Governor and blue Legislature. And by blue, I mean screaming liberal Berkeley Blue...not old school Nevada blue. If things keep moving they way they have been, I could see myself moving out of Nevada once my kids have graduated.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Idaho awaits.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Congrats to your wife on the new degree! And good luck with the move! Looking forward to wheeling with you guys again. [emoji1417]

I don't see a problem with that..haha. I could have transfered up there if only I had seen the announcement 1 day earlier as it closed the day before I saw it. Would have been awesome.

Edit: Casey, Congrats to you and your wife. I understand your sentiment about Salt Lake. There is nothing wrong with it, it's just not for everyone. To be honest when I met you in Moab last year I wasn't sure how to approach you but then you dropped an F bomb so I figured you out..haha.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ha! Yeah that’s a typical reaction. I usually really mess with folks. Gotta make it fun for me!

Top Bottom