Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCV axleshaft question

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    Save your money and go with full circle clip shafts. The boot isn't that hard to install but the shafts start sounding nasty when they wear and you get lovely snap crackle pop noises coming from them that RCV says is normal. Questionable warranty coverage as well. If you'd like to hear in person let me know, I'm in flood city quite often.

Edit: To install the boots all you have to do is whack them with a rubber mallet.
    Haha we’ll see the thing is I already have them, I actually got them on Black Friday and talked the sales guy into a few more dollars off so I didn’t pay too terribly much more than some circle clip shafts would have been. Oh well I suppose, we’ll see what happens😂

On a side note, any good places in our area that you go wheeling that aren’t on private property? I’ve been trying to find some new places to go!

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    I hope you don't take this the wrong way but some of us rack up 25k in a year and work from home. Start playing with your Jeep a bit harder and a bit more often.
    No offense taken. I wish I could play with it more(the Jeep I mean) just my own personal experience. I’ve run full circle clips/chromoly too on several other vehicles. They are plenty tough and waaay less expensive. RCV I agree are awfully expensive. At the time I had the extra $ and wanted to try them. Not sure they are worth it but they’ve been ok so far. We all know we can break anything if we try hard enough.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    No offense taken. I wish I could play with it more(the Jeep I mean) just my own personal experience. I’ve run full circle clips/chromoly too on several other vehicles. They are plenty tough and waaay less expensive. RCV I agree are awfully expensive. At the time I had the extra $ and wanted to try them. Not sure they are worth it but they’ve been ok so far. We all know we can break anything if we try hard enough.
    And really, that would be my only point in chiming in on a thread like this - to help others save some money. Having run RCV's in the past, I personally don't think they're worth the significant premium but again, that's just me. How people choose to spend their money is of no concern of mine

Quote Originally Posted by CKLEM55 View Post
    Haha we’ll see the thing is I already have them, I actually got them on Black Friday and talked the sales guy into a few more dollars off so I didn’t pay too terribly much more than some circle clip shafts would have been. Oh well I suppose, we’ll see what happens😂

On a side note, any good places in our area that you go wheeling that aren’t on private property? I’ve been trying to find some new places to go!

Good luck with that. Its really tough. I frequent the mountains near Benezette/Medix Run a lot. There are quite a few trails if you do some exploring. Or join in on one of the trips to Rausch Creek. Those are always a blast!

Which chromoly axle shafts brands are recommended? I'm jumping to 37's this summer on my '17 Recon, and also prefer made in USA if possible. I was looking at Yukon's but I can't find any information on their site on where their products are built.

I think a big difference here is the application. Dana 44 vs dana 60. A set of 60 chromoly shafts are pretty tuff. For my 44, I was wearing out or busting chromoly front shafts with 37’s and lockers.
    Rcv’s are a good product IMO. For a 44 with 37’s, I don’t feel it’s wasting money. It’s just building the axle to eliminate some failure points.
    I’ve wheeled my jeep very hard and all over the country. The RCV’s have been great. No issues except for a rebuild of the liters after about 4 years of hard wheeling.
    Just an opinion of mine, so take it for what it’s worth. But I have used them very hard. Harder then most with dana 44’s and 37’s.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12