WRITE-UP : TAZER JL Programmer for JL WRANGLER / INSTALLATION & HOW TO USE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you’re in need of re-calibrating your speedometer after installing a bigger set of tires, are wanting to change the threshold of your TPMS or would just like to modify how some of the electrical features on your Jeep JL Wrangler work, you’ll be needing a programmer to do this and the Tazer JL is the one you’re gonna want. Made by Z Automotive, the Tazer JL is a super compact unit that plugs into your OBDII, works off your EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Information Center) or screen in the middle of your instrument cluster and the buttons on your steering wheel. The following write-up will show you just how easy it is to install and use.

What You Will Need
Z Automotive TAZER JL
Use Discount Code: jlwf10

Here's a shot of everything you'll get with your TAZER JL. As you can see, you'll get a SGW Bypass Module, the TAZER JL Programmer and a USB cable that will allow you to download firmware updates online as they become available.
20180515133445-ec6e8973-me.jpg

TAZER JL OPTIONS
Perf menu:
Adjust for alternate tire sizes up to 41″
Adjust for alternate axle gear ratios
Adjust for an alternate transfer case LO range ratio

TPMS menu:
Disable TPMS system if desired
Change front/rear TPMS warning PSI limit

Radio menu:
Disable Backup camera
Enable Cargo Camera input
Enable CD audio input
Disable TravelLink (weather warnings included)

Lighting Menu:
Change DRL region (type)
Change DRL location
Disable DRL Dropout
Enable Fog lamp output
Disable Fog lamp dropout
Set LED 3rd brake light type
Set LED tail lamp type
Set Trailer Tow output for use with Mopar kit

Other menu:
Enable Aux switch settings on the radio
Enable Blind spot detection

TAZER JL LIVE FEATURES
Live features can only be used only while the TAZER JL is plugged into your JL Wrangler's OBDII port. The following are options that will be available to you.

Light shows: Can be accessed from the key fob or from the on-screen menu. 6 pre-set light shows and 3 make-your-own shows included. Set from the factory to only operate when parked, but can be unlocked for off-road and emergency personnel use.

Disable Navigation in-motion lockout: Enter addresses while the vehicle is moving
Auto Traction Kill: can be set to turn off traction control upon start-up
Auto StopStart Disable: can be set to disable AutoStopStart upon vehicle start-up 0-30 and 0-60 timers
Cooldown mode: run engine fans when Jeep is off, to aid in cooldown

INSTRUCTIONS
1. To install your Tazer JL, you’ll need to first unplug the 2 connectors attached to SGW. These connectors are located above the OBDII port and just above the metal dash cross support. While it isn't necessary, I removed the kick panel on the dash to help show you where they are located. The SGW connectors are circled in red.
20180515141342-63bf66f6-me.jpg

2. To remove the SGW connectors, you will need to depress the tabs on the back of each connector and then pull straight down. Here's a shot of what they look like once removed.
20180515133510-3455204b-me.jpg

3. Plug the connectors into the SGW Bypass Module that comes with your TAZER JL. Being that they’re size specific and have a keyed fit, you can’t get this wrong.
20180515133517-37817dda-me.jpg

4. With the SGW bypassed, you can now plug your Tazer JL programmer into your JL Wrangler's OBDII port. A red LED light will illuminate once it's plugged in.
20180515133546-02e339cb-me.jpg

5. From here, you will need to turn your key or push your START button until it’s in the RUN position but without starting the engine.
20180515133550-79f1fc69-me.jpg

6. Use the UP/DOWN arrow buttons on the left hand side of your steering wheel to scroll through the EVIC screen until the word "AUDIO" appears on top.
20180515133554-7355a9b8-me.jpg

20180515133606-b0eb48d0-me.jpg

7. From here, you will need to press and hold the LEFT ARROW button on the left hand side of your steering wheel and then press the CRUISE CANCEL button to enter the TAZER JL menu screen.
20180516002822-bec9c0b4-me.jpg

20180515133610-ef03f4b7-me.jpg

8. The first option you will see is for the "LIGHT SHOW" but if you continue to hold the LEFT ARROW button down and slowly click the CRUISE CANCEL button, you will be able to scroll through the menu options. Continue to do this until you get to the option, "MARRY?"
20180515133658-1686738b-me.jpg

9. In order to make changes to the electronic features on your JL Wrangler, you will need to MARRY the TAZER JL to its computer. To do this, you will need to press and holding the LEFT ARROW button down and then click on the CRUISE ON/OFF button to select it. The TAZER JL will take about 15 seconds to download your JL Wrangler's stock settings and you should NOT disturb it during this process.
20180515133614-a2b0d71b-me.jpg

10. With your TAZER JL married to your JL Wrangler, you should now be able to scroll through several sub-menus using the same button process as before. Press and hold the LEFT ARROW button down and slowly click on the CRUISE CANCEL button to cycle through all the options. For those of you who are wanting to calibrate your speedometer, scroll through until you reach the option "PERF?" Still holding the LEFT ARROW button down, click on the CRUISE ON/OFF button to select it.
20180515133630-fbcd834e-me.jpg

11. With tire size selected, click on the CRUISE SET + or CRUISE SET - buttons to raise or lower the tire size being displayed on the EVIC screen.
20180515133626-3c734f43-me.jpg

12. Unlike the previous JK Wrangler which required you to enter in the ACTUAL measurement of your tires, the new JL Wrangler simply requires that you enter in what is written on your sidewall. In our case, we are running a set of 37x13.50R17 Cooper STT Pros and so 37 what should be selected. That being said, the TAZER JL will not give an exact 37 number to choose from and so I selected "37.065" being that it was the closest to it. Click on the CRUISE ON/OFF button to set your tire size.
20180515133634-8c65bf71-me.jpg

13. Continuing to press and hold the LEFT ARROW button down, click on the CRUISE CANCEL button once and you should see "GRRATIO" and a number next to it. Being that we have a Rubicon with 4.10 gears, you can see that our EVIC screen is displaying "GrRatio 4.100". If you've changed the gear ratio in your axles, you can change them to what you're now running using the same CRUISE SET + or CRUISE SET - buttons as before. Once done, simply click on the CRUISE ON/OFF button to set them.
20180515133638-91581f63-me.jpg

14. Continuing to press and hold the LEFT ARROW button down, slowly click on the CRUISE CANCEL button until you reach "TPMS?" If you're wanting to turn your TPMS off or would just like to lower the PSI threshold, select this option by holding the LEFT ARROW button down and clicking on the CRUISE ON/OFF button.
20180515133642-4c1aee15-me.jpg

15. The first screen you'll see after selecting this option is "TPMS: YES". If you've installed new tires and without TPMS sensors and would like to disable the warning light, simply click on the CRUISE ON/OFF button once. The word "TPMS NO" should appear and that will indicate that it is now disabled.
20180515133646-85f9daa5-me.jpg

16. If you installed new tires or just wish to run what you have at a lower PSI and without causing the TPMS warning light to come on, hold the LEFT ARROW button down and click on the CRUISE CANCEL button once. This will take you to a screen that shows you what the PSI in your front tires are set to. Click on the CRUISE SET + or CRUISE SET - buttons to raise or lower the PSI and then click on the CRUISE ON/OFF button to set it. As you can see, I lowered my PSI to 15.
20180515133650-315e78c1-me.jpg

17. Continuing to hold the LEFT ARROW button down, click on the CRUISE CANCEL button once and you will see the PSI for your rear tires. You can now set them the same way.
20180515133654-b875b63a-me.jpg

Obviously, there are myriad of other options you can play with and all of them can all be accessed and modified in the exact same way. To safely exit the TAZER JL at any time, all you need to do is hold the LEFT ARROW button down and press the CRUISE RESUME button. Doing this will give you a REBOOT countdown and once it's done, you can remove the TAZER JL from the OBDII port.
20180515133622-0e77aaee-me.jpg

Now, I should mention that there are a number LIVE options available on the TAZER JL that you might be interested in, includihg a means to turn off the Auto Start/Stop and Traction Control systems. Of course by LIVE, I mean that your TAZER JL will need to remain plugged into the OBDII port in order for these setting to work.

Finally, I should point out that Z Automotive does provide regular updates for the Tazer JL and they can be downloaded using their program utility software. You can download it now by clicking on the following link:

https://zautomotive.com/z-automotive-programming-uti/

So that’s the Tazer JL in a nutshell – a programmer that every JL Wrangler owner really needs to have. Please let me know if you have any questions. :cool:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
That looks like a really neat programmer and one I’d be getting if I swing a JT. :yup:

Thank you for the write up!

wjtstudios

Hooked
WRITE-UP : TAZER JL Programmer for JL WRANGLER / INSTALLATION & HOW TO USE

It’s amazing how much more advanced in the electronics area the JLs are. It almost makes my Jk feel like a CJ when you compare the JL to it. Really cool right up once again! Hopefully someday I could use it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jmercmon

Does the Bypass module need to be left in the vehicle to maintain Tire Size changes and Tire pressure changes?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Does the Bypass module need to be left in the vehicle to maintain Tire Size changes and Tire pressure changes?

Yes. You can remove the TAZER JL but the bypass module needs to be left in place. Or, at least as far as I understood it.

jmercmon

Yes. You can remove the TAZER JL but the bypass module needs to be left in place. Or, at least as far as I understood it.

I read over all the docs and they don't really specify either way. They say how to install it but never mention removing it. I was really curious what the SGW does and is there any impact in bypassing it. I guess maybe a test is in order to see if it keeps the settings if the bypass is removed.

Thanks for your reply.

Hoffer

Anyone know the differences between the Tazer JL Mini and Taser JL?
Looks like the mini may be a new item

Pros / Cons

halffrozen

Does this or will this Tazer have the ability to program the window modules to auto roll-up/down when the button is pressed? Sounds silly, but it's the small QOL's that make large impacts. :p

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Has anyone run into the issue of the radio not working when leaving the tazer installed for the live features? For the last month my radio will be blank and not work. Today I disconnected my tazer (just unplug not unmarry) as it goes in for service tomorrow for the radio concern and the radio returned. Anyone else experience this issue?
IMG_0778.jpg

CalSgt

Hooked
Has anyone run into the issue of the radio not working when leaving the tazer installed for the live features? For the last month my radio will be blank and not work. Today I disconnected my tazer (just unplug not unmarry) as it goes in for service tomorrow for the radio concern and the radio returned. Anyone else experience this issue?

My radio has glitched a few times like that but only for a day or two... never for a whole month. I remember thinking it was something to do with my Tazer but the problem has resolved itself, I have the mini taser & it stays plugged in all the time.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
My radio has glitched a few times like that but only for a day or two... never for a whole month. I remember thinking it was something to do with my Tazer but the problem has resolved itself, I have the mini taser & it stays plugged in all the time.

Yea I have a tazer lite. It’s glitched in the beginning only staying off for 5-10 mins when first started but it later turned into staying off at all times. As I said tho, once I unplugged it this morning and put the plugs back into the SGM everything started working again

WJCO

Meme King
Yea I have a tazer lite. It’s glitched in the beginning only staying off for 5-10 mins when first started but it later turned into staying off at all times. As I said tho, once I unplugged it this morning and put the plugs back into the SGM everything started working again

Both of ours glitch here and there but correct within a day or less. Both have tazers. On jlwrangler, there's a thread about new backup camera being the fix. Ours come back quick enough that we haven't spent too much time looking into it.

Top Bottom