Why does my Jeep wander all over the road when I hit a bump or even a small swell?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How much lift do you have installed and is it safe to assume you did NOT install a drag link flip and track bar relocation up front?

fiend

Caught the Bug
In my experience, wandering generally comes from one or both of two things: insufficient caster and negative toe.

But if it only happens when you hit a bump, then you may be experiencing bump steer, which results when your drag link is not parallel to the axle. If you lifted more than 2 or 2.5 inches and didn’t do a drag link flip, that’s probably your issue.

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
OR... the trackbar and draglink are not parallel. :twocents:

"Wondering" would happen all the time... not JUST when OP hits a bump or small swell (causing the suspension to move) bump-steer is what I'ed hang my hat on here.

I'll take "The axle is moving side to side at a different rate than the draglink, causing steering input." for $1, please

Last edited:
J

JKDream

OR... the trackbar and draglink are not parallel. :twocents:

"Wondering" would happen all the time... not JUST when OP hits a bump or small swell (causing the suspension to move) bump-steer is what I'ed hang my hat on here.

I'll take "The axle is moving side to side at a different rate than the draglink, causing steering input." for $1, please

I don't know about that, I drilled my draglink before my trackbar mount came in on my old axle and I never had wandering issues.
Bumpsteer sure, but it still tracked straight.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I don't know about that, I drilled my draglink before my trackbar mount came in on my old axle and I never had wandering issues.
Bumpsteer sure, but it still tracked straight.

Isn't that what I just said? :thinking: :idontknow: :hmm:

J

JKDream

Isn't that what I just said? :thinking: :idontknow: :hmm:

Sorry, I suppose I read this wrong. I interpreted it as bump steer would cause wandering all of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Sorry, I suppose I read this wrong. I interpreted it as bump steer would cause wandering all of the time.

No, I meant: if the jeep was "wondering" from a caster/toe issue, it would be "wondering" pretty much all the time.

since the OP states it is specific to "bumps and swells in the road" I would lean more to the movement of the suspension causing minor steering inputs; I.E. Bumpsteer.

Which would point to a draglink & track bar alignment issue as the most likely cause.

Sorry if my first post was unclear. :beer:

Last edited:
Top Bottom