Transmission Fill Bolt Broken

benjaminhogate

2001 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L 5Spd. I had my clutch replaced last year and tried out a new mechanic for it. I ended up having to take it back multiple times because the transmission was leaking. Eventually it seemed that all was well and I had a brand new clutch and my Jeep was ready to go. I’ve driven it now for a little over a year since, and have slowly noticed the transmission not shifting as smoothly. Also I can smell the transmission fluid sometimes when I shut the jeep off and get out. I figured I’d probably need more fluid in there, so me and a buddy tried to fill it. Turns out the mechanic broke off the fill bolt in the side of the transmission. I’d take it back to the same mechanic and have him fix it, but he has since gone out of business. What can I do to get some fluid in there while I save up to get the leak fixed? And what are my options on the broken bolt?

2001 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L 5Spd. I had my clutch replaced last year and tried out a new mechanic for it. I ended up having to take it back multiple times because the transmission was leaking. Eventually it seemed that all was well and I had a brand new clutch and my Jeep was ready to go. I’ve driven it now for a little over a year since, and have slowly noticed the transmission not shifting as smoothly. Also I can smell the transmission fluid sometimes when I shut the jeep off and get out. I figured I’d probably need more fluid in there, so me and a buddy tried to fill it. Turns out the mechanic broke off the fill bolt in the side of the transmission. I’d take it back to the same mechanic and have him fix it, but he has since gone out of business. What can I do to get some fluid in there while I save up to get the leak fixed? And what are my options on the broken bolt?

Im lost how he managed to cause a leak when doing a clutch job.... did you get the fluid changed at the same time?
Do you have a picture of the damaged plug?

Could probably extremely slowly use the breather/vent to get some fluid in there

Top Bottom