Question about Differentials

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Sadly, my ignorance level is high in regards to the inner workings of differentials. They are somewhat of a black magic to me.

Years ago, there was a video on here or the previous forum that explained them but it was lost on me.

Would this damage likely lead to the driveline becoming inoperable?

IMG_8096.jpg
IMG_8097.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Inoperapable as in won't move? I guess its possible if a piece of one of the spider gears got caught perfectly in between a couple teeth but that's not a common thing. Usually the pieces drop out and fall to the bottom of the diff. Is the Jeep stuck?

WJCO

Meme King
The two outside side gears are splined to the axles, so if worn enough, they could cause movement issues, but I've never seen that. Those gears can pit and chunk and usually it just causes a noise.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Inoperapable as in won't move? I guess its possible if a piece of one of the spider gears got caught perfectly in between a couple teeth but that's not a common thing. Usually the pieces drop out and fall to the bottom of the diff. Is the Jeep stuck?

No, that was the old LSD. Just trying to learn what’s important inside the Diffs.

My last fluid change (1.5 years ago), I found a descent chunk of metal and just trying to figure out if I should’ve taken it more seriously.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Probably, if no metal chunks are still in there, you could drive it for a while. I wouldn’t, personally.

That’s what I’m trying to figure out - i.e. the level of urgency. I had it replaced during my regear this week. Just trying to gauge if that was the only option with my towing and what not.

Or would it have held up for years to come.

BaddestCross

That’s what I’m trying to figure out - i.e. the level of urgency. I had it replaced during my regear this week. Just trying to gauge if that was the only option with my towing and what not.

If the consensus is that it was no big deal, are you gonna go get your old parts reinstalled? 😎

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Slimebones

Kind of a moog point. And no, it probably would not have held up for years.

WJCO

Meme King
You can get a loaded carrier for a decent price. If someone is already doing the work, have them put in a new carrier. If not, you can probably get some more time out of it.

Ddays

Hooked
No, just trying to see if I should be kicking myself. I had a tight timetable and needed to make a quick decision.

If I made a mistake, I want to, hopefully, learn from it.

If you had changed your fluid earlier maybe you could have spotted some damage sooner but in all likelihood that would probably only have made you shit your britches sooner worrying if the rear was gonna blow or not. I'd chalk this up to a good catch because other than being out a few bucks, nothing negative happened. In fact if you had waited until after towing your trailer to change the fluid out you may have been broke down on 79 in a couple weeks :crazyeyes:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
If you had changed your fluid earlier maybe you could have spotted some damage sooner but in all likelihood that would probably only have made you shit your britches sooner worrying if the rear was gonna blow or not. I'd chalk this up to a good catch because other than being out a few bucks, nothing negative happened. In fact if you had waited until after towing your trailer to change the fluid out you may have been broke down on 79 in a couple weeks :crazyeyes:

What would you know about breaking down?

Top Bottom