GFrench 76 CJ5 Restoration

gfrench

Hello-

New to the forum and just picked up a rough 1976 CJ5... Going to do a frame off restoration and thinking I am going to need to just bite the bullet and buy all new- Body Tub- Fenders- Hood etc.

Wonder if anyone can direct me to best quality and place to purchase. Thank you!

01111_9iGNbA4NGon_1200x900.jpg

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
As I understand it, the Willys overland tub is a fully modified MD Juan tub that will bolt right on with all the little defects corrected. It is not cheap.
MD Juan is the only manufacturer I know of manufacturing classic steel jeep tubs. Omix Ada sells an unmodified tub if you have the skills to make the corrections yourself. Otherwise, scour the internet and see if you can find a used/clean one, or there is always fiberglass if that is not a problem for you.

gfrench

Appreciate the info... yeah going to have this jeep in the family for a long time so not afraid to spend a little to get it right. I will check out the MD Juan products.

gfrench

Way cool! Love those 5’s! You thinking keeping it original or mild build?

Yeah always been partial to the CJ5's... going to keep it as original as possible... has 7.50 x16 tires on it now and kinda like that old school look as well.

Everything is there.... just the Body tub and other metal parts are toast so going to spend the money to make it all new again.

gfrench

Yeah after looking thru my options and what might be best for me / easy application.... Going with the Repli-Tubs from Willy’s Overland Motors.

Really like the idea of all the modification they do on site there and once delivered will be a direct bolt on having all the extra fabrication work needed/completed by them.

Should work out good.

Starting the tear down now to start peeling things back to see whats good and bad... Should be pretty straight forward project.

008.jpg

001.jpg

gfrench

Thanks- feels good to have this project started

I do have a question... The engine is definitely sitting at an angle... higher in front. Is this right/pretty normal and the way it should be?

060.jpg

Last edited:

gfrench

That is fairly normal. It's all relative to how the frame curves right there. A slight gradient is pretty standard for what I've seen.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the response.... Yeah everything looks very solid and runs like a champ. Will be replacing the engine mounts and all of the bushings.

Once I get down to just the rolling frame can get better inspection.

gfrench

Been a while since I updated my thread here....

The work continues...

making some good progress on the Restoration process...

Installed the new Brake shoes and hardware- final stages of getting the new Fuel and Brake lines routed and anchored down...

Soon the Rolling Chassis will be finished and will be time to start the paint prepping on the New Steel Body- Fenders- Hood- Tailgate etc...

wjtstudios

Hooked

The work continues...

Installed the new Brake shoes and hardware- final stages of getting the new Fuel and Brake lines routed and anchored down...

Soon the Rolling Chassis will be finished and will be time to start the paint prepping on the New Steel Body- Fenders- Hood- Tailgate etc...

Chassis looks great!! I can’t wait to get to that stage

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 Jeep Scrambler

JKbrick

The work continues...

That looks so good, what a fun project

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom