VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - How to Run the JL Wrangler Rear End Bumperless

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As much as Cindy and I LOVE the look of the optional steel front bumper that you can get on a Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, I can’t say that we’ve ever been a fan of the rear bumper. In fact, we had been meaning to remove it for quite some time now but decided to leave it on for our recent trip out to Moab and with the hopes that it'd help to protect the body. Unfortunately, what we found is that the bumper actually caused a bit of damage and that was all the more reason why we wanted to get rid of it. Needless to say, in this episode of the JL JOURNAL, will show you just how easy it is to remove your JL Wrangler's factory rear bumper and you’ll even get to see what I did to relocate our rear license plate.
For sure, this budget mod may not be everyone but we’ve always loved the bumperless look on our JK’s and we think it looks just as good on a JL too.

For more information on how how to make your own license plate mount and where to buy lights for it, click on the link below:
WRITE-UP : DIY License Plate Rear Cross Member Relocation Mount

:cool:

Great video.
I could see this totally helping people ease their anxiety and not be overwhelmed. Super simple and great looking mod. [emoji106]

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Inexpensive, looks good, and is a great chance to get a little mechanical familiarization of your Jeep. .

JAGS

Hooked
Great vid. Wonder if the plastic bumper is attached the same. I’ll probably be finding out down the road.

The fact that the bumper flexes that much has me leaning toward not installing a replacement for the plastic factory.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looking good

Great video.
I could see this totally helping people ease their anxiety and not be overwhelmed. Super simple and great looking mod. [emoji106]

Thank you. All we hope to do is share what we've been doing especially with budget mods like this and with any luck, it'll help others :yup:

Inexpensive, looks good, and is a great chance to get a little mechanical familiarization of your Jeep. .

Thanks. The most expensive part about this mod is making the mistake of order a JL with the steel bumper group :icon_crazy:

Bummer about the Damage... hope Jeep is taking note... Looks so much cleaner. [emoji1417]

What really sucks is that the damage could have been worse. While in Moab, I had to make adjustments to the bumper to prevent further damage and tighten up all the remaining bolts being that they were all loose. :rolleyes2:

Great vid. Wonder if the plastic bumper is attached the same. I’ll probably be finding out down the road.

The fact that the bumper flexes that much has me leaning toward not installing a replacement for the plastic factory.

It's possible that they mount the same being that both bumpers should have the same sub-structure. However, I'd be willing to bet that the plastic will deform and give a lot more and well before it could cause damage to the body.

Great video, and nice easy mod. 👍

Thanks, glad you liked it :)

Making it all look easy and doable! Liking the look :)

Thanks! We weren't 100% sure how it'd look but after doing it, we love it :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That came out really good! I like how you wired up the lights using the factory harness.

Definitely one of the benefits of keeping the license plate in and around the same location. Sure made wiring up lights for it super easy :yup:

Great episode and the rear end looks much more functional now [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Thank you and we agree. Way cleaner and more functional now :yup:

Very cool and nice looking mod on a beautiful new JL!

Thank you :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The JL looks cleaner than the JK's without the bumper :thumb:

Funny you'd say as much but I totally agree. The frame rails and cross member sit A LOT closer to the body and the pinch seam looks finished. :yup:

I-Eat-Mud

Funny you'd say as much but I totally agree. The frame rails and cross member sit A LOT closer to the body and the pinch seam looks finished. :yup:

One of those details Jeep really got right with the JL for sure. I wonder if all the bumperless JKs had them take it into consideration. I'm a little jealous. :bleh:

aggrex

Fantastic job repurposing those JL bumper parts! No need to spend 50-100 on a license plate relocation kit. No good part is ever left behind.....well except that plastic bumper that has sacrificed itself a bit on the rocks when new.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One of those details Jeep really got right with the JL for sure. I wonder if all the bumperless JKs had them take it into consideration. I'm a little jealous. :bleh:

I think it was both the bumperless look AND the fact that there were morons out there who were chopping off their rear crossmember just to gain a bit more departure angle that got them thinking about this.

Fantastic job repurposing those JL bumper parts! No need to spend 50-100 on a license plate relocation kit. No good part is ever left behind.....well except that plastic bumper that has sacrificed itself a bit on the rocks when new.

LOL!! Thanks, no need to spend money on things you don't really need :cool:

Top Bottom