30 Spline Sport D44/PR44 with Dynatrac shafts Stay on 35s or can I go 37's?

jorgelrod

Hooked
So I'm a few months out from buying new tires and it's always the same thing when you buy tires, you consider going bigger even if you might not necessarily need to. I'm really confortable at 35s, but just for budget's sake, if I do jump to 37s what else will I need to think about? I know the 4.56 I'm on might not be the beast gear ratio, but this is Florida, there's not a ton of mountainous driving. What about my 30 spline front and rear shafts, will they hold, will they most likely break if I succumb to peer pressure at the off road park? All ideas welcome.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
So I'm a few months out from buying new tires and it's always the same thing when you buy tires, you consider going bigger even if you might not necessarily need to. I'm really confortable at 35s, but just for budget's sake, if I do jump to 37s what else will I need to think about? I know the 4.56 I'm on might not be the beast gear ratio, but this is Florida, there's not a ton of mountainous driving. What about my 30 spline front and rear shafts, will they hold, will they most likely break if I succumb to peer pressure at the off road park? All ideas welcome.

I'ed be more worried about your balljoints at this point. If you are seeing a lot of wheel spin on the trails, or getting bound up in the rocks, I'ed worry about breaking something.

Have you bent a rear flange yet? If you still have factory rear shafts and haven't bent a flange; I'ed assume you are safe to bump up the tires a bit, assuming you remember WHY you wanted bigger tires in the first place. 37s wont make your jeep any MORE reliable...

If you are going to start approaching harder obstacles and "succumbing to peer pressure" BECAUSE you have bigger tires, then YEAH! Isnt that ALWAYS when things break?? :hmm:

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

jorgelrod

Hooked
I'ed be more worried about your balljoints at this point. If you are seeing a lot of wheel spin on the trails, or getting bound up in the rocks, I'ed worry about breaking something.

Have you bent a rear flange yet? If you still have factory rear shafts and haven't bent a flange; I'ed assume you are safe to bump up the tires a bit, assuming you remember WHY you wanted bigger tires in the first place. 37s wont make your jeep any MORE reliable...

If you are going to start approaching harder obstacles and "succumbing to peer pressure" BECAUSE you have bigger tires, then YEAH! Isnt that ALWAYS when things break?? :hmm:

Just my opinion.

I haven't bent a flange yet, but I admit 100% of the wheeling I did in Puerto Rico was mud, now I joined a club here in Florida and there's a few trips including one to TN that has me excited so I figure it will all end up with me hitting Moab one day. I am very confident in my abilities and the jeep on 35's but I like every jeeper, always think about going bigger

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I haven't bent a flange yet, but I admit 100% of the wheeling I did in Puerto Rico was mud, now I joined a club here in Florida and there's a few trips including one to TN that has me excited so I figure it will all end up with me hitting Moab one day. I am very confident in my abilities and the jeep on 35's but I like every jeeper, always think about going bigger

I completely missed the pr44, your fine. Get some 37s. You will be (basically) fine so long as you are smart. whats the worst thing that can happen? It breaks... ha

Don't throttle up in a bind or try to bump up a large undercut too hard like this:

IMG_4538.jpg

You'll more than likely bend a rear flange soon though, so be ready for some new rear shafts

Last edited:
Top Bottom