SHEARED OFF the EXHAUST HANGER

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Over the last few days, Cindy and I have been doing a lot of field testing of our all new hitch mounted stinger and as you can imagine, our J-hook rear tow point and tailpipe have been taking a pretty good beating as well. While we knew the J-hook could handle the abuse, we fully expected our tailpipe would get mashed in just like the ones on our JK's did but much to our surprise, it's actually been holding up... or at least, so we thought anyway. After doing more testing today, we started to hear a clunking sound coming from the rear and after giving things a quick look, we soon discovered the following - the exhaust hanger securing the muffler to the passenger side frame rail had sheared off.
20180522102820-6c59fa13-me.jpg

20180522102750-dafe68dc-me.jpg

20180522102813-5bfb4449-me.jpg

As we would come to find, the hanger is part of a larger mount that's made out of cast aluminum and while it may be lighter in weight, it's far from being as strong as steel.
20180522102753-89de085c-me.jpg

20180522102757-a2d7588a-me.jpg

The good news is that the mount does have a part number on it, 68320444AB and it only costs $13 but the bad news is that they're kinda back ordered right now.
20180522102809-f0a3942a-me.jpg

Needless to say, I think I would have taken a smooshed in my tailpipe over a broken exhaust hanger. Guess I'm gonna have to fab something up before the clunking drives me nuts! :crazyeyes:

Anyway, just wanted to share this with all of you so that you'll know what can happen if you hit your tailpipe too hard and/or too often.

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Dang sorry to see that, but it might be better to fabricate something stronger in the long run.

WJCO

Meme King
Don't think I've ever seen one of those break nor be manufactured from aluminum. Out of all the large parts on the Jeep for FCA to try and save weight :rolleyes2:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Dang sorry to see that, but it might be better to fabricate something stronger in the long run.

Kicking around ideas for sure but in the mean time, I got something to work.

Don't think I've ever seen one of those break nor be manufactured from aluminum. Out of all the large parts on the Jeep for FCA to try and save weight :rolleyes2:

Me either but then, this is the first time I've seen an exhaust hanger made out of aluminum. :rolleyes2:

Sorry that happened! Wouldn’t quite expect that to happen... Im sure you’ll come up with something that will work for the time being [emoji106]

eh, I've got it fixed for now but I will need to think of a better solution for sure.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hah! Take that, you sumbitch!

No, not you, Eddie. Sorry, I had a fight with an exhaust hanger recently so it's good to see one get it's comeuppance.

LOL!! Next time, try some WD40 and a pry bar :crazyeyes:

That sucks. At least it should be a pretty easy fix.

Bummer for sure but yeah, I was able to get it fixed for now. I did also buy a new bracket being that it was so cheap.

looks like you could drill and tap it then run a bolt to hold in in place :thinking:

LOL!! Already done.

jesse3638

Hooked
I would have never thought they would have made that out of aluminum. Steel would have bent. Glad to hear you got it fixed. Thought I was going to hear you used plumbers strap. It’s a great exhaust fix...haha.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Some things just need to be steal... at least it didn’t happen during a long trip...

I totally agree. I've seen my fair share of BENT hangers but of course, they were all made out of STEEL. Sure glad this happened just down the street from home.

Warranty repair? ...

Hmmm, didn't even think about it. Fortunately, the new hanger was only $13

I would have never thought they would have made that out of aluminum. Steel would have bent. Glad to hear you got it fixed. Thought I was going to hear you used plumbers strap. It’s a great exhaust fix...haha.

Yep, steel would have bent. It's really what should have been used here.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Could you adapt a JK hanger? Might be easier to get... & Steel.

I was kinda thinking the same thing

The JK frame hangers are welded on. I actually have a few bolt on hangers from other exhaust kits I've installed over the years and for a temporary fix, I used a universal steel one that shaped to make work. A part of me considered just leaving it on.

An exhaust shop I used to work at had these hanger removal pliers. OMG, talk about a major time saver. The fork holds the rubber, and the pointed part bushes the bar through.

Well damn, that's awesome :thumb:

Andy5160

Hooked
The JK frame hangers are welded on. I actually have a few bolt on hangers from other exhaust kits I've installed over the years and for a temporary fix, I used a universal steel one that shaped to make work. A part of me considered just leaving it

That part of you most likely right [emoji41][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So... my original fix was short lived. :rolleyes2:

20180523213524-f4b9fb6d-me.jpg

As mentioned, I was able to get my hands on a universal exhaust hanger and shape it to how I needed it to be.

20180523213528-2c2f7093-me.jpg

I'm thinking this will get the job done and maybe even better :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom