New rear door hinges

houstonjeepdude

I was just wondering if any one running a larger than stock tire on the stock tire carrier ever beefed up the hinges on the rear door, or if anyone has had any sagging of the door. I have a 33 on the stock carrier but wasn't sure if I should change the hinges.

Thanks for you help.

John

sph801

I ran a 285/70R17 (33”) tire on the stock carrier for about 3 years with no issues. The truth is I didn’t wheel it hard either. From what I’ve read, if you bounce around a lot then the spot welds can crack and cause rattling. I just upgraded to 35” tires so I went ahead and bought a heavy duty tailgate tire carrier which includes hinges just to be safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fusion_jeff

33” are not an issue. A heavy 35” (like a Nitto Trail Grappler) or anything >35” will be pushing the weight limit for sure. Some lighter weight 35”s have been known to be safe, but a questionable call still. At 33” you are probably still running stock rims / stock backset. The heavier weight plus larger gap away from the gate causes stress on the tailgate’s stop welds. I have personally seen a guy running 37’s on a stock carrier hit a pot hole in the street and have the spot welds crack and pull straight thru the outer sheet metal destroying the tailgate. With the right amount of weight it doesn’t take much to cause damage. I have 35” BFG KM2s on 17” Fuel Anza rims. I ran stock for a few weeks and could tell the tailgate alignment was sagging more and more, so I upgraded to the TeraFlex hinges and have been VERY happy with them. No more rattles, tire doesn’t move at all even on rougher trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jesse3638

Hooked
Just make sure to extend the rubber isolators. They need to be pressed firmly against the tire's side walls. This will help And extend the life of the tail gate. Eddie put together a good write up on how to do this. Hopefully someone can post it up.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom