Need Purchase Advice: 2009/10 Rubicon or 2012/13 Sport?

sm31

Due to budgetary constraints that aren't likely to change for awhile, I'm looking at a fairly narrow set of options. It seems that the 2009/10 Rubicons and 2012 (and a few 13...) Sports are in my price range. I certainly like the attributes of the 09/10 Rubicon but I also like the drive-train and interior improvements on the 12+.

At first I thought the easy answer is to obtain a 12+ and upgrade the axles, etc. However, another data point is that my location (Alaska) is not exactly conducive to obtaining things like axles, etc. (shipping sux!).

Based on my (limited) knowledge, all I have so far is that the answer could be vehicle-specific. If the right deal comes along then that will be the route I take. But I'm sure there are many factors I'm not aware of. Am I missing something that makes one choice a no-brainer over the other? I hope I am because that would make this easier! Thanks for the help!!!

PS: I'm sorry if this has been covered before! I had trouble framing my question for the search function...

wjtstudios

Hooked
From the sound of it, building the Jeep up, I.E. axles, in the near future is not going to happen, I’d say go with a rubicon which ever year you can get. That way you can wheel the Jeep confidently and have fun verses being limited to a Dana 30 and no lockers

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Man, lots of variables at play here. What do you plan for a build? Are you staying stock or do you see many mods? The Rubi upgrades may be worth having if you are staying stock.
What size tires do you foresee? How many miles on both? 3.6 vs 3.8 is significant but so are Rubi tcase vs std one.

sm31

Man, lots of variables at play here. What do you plan for a build? Are you staying stock or do you see many mods? The Rubi upgrades may be worth having if you are staying stock.
What size tires do you foresee? How many miles on both? 3.6 vs 3.8 is significant but so are Rubi tcase vs std one.

Wow! Thank you for the quick replies! I just realized I didn't supply a lot of context with my original post.

In terms of mods, I definitely have some planned. Speaking idealistically... I'd prefer an EVO Enforcer Stage Two 3" lift. Fortunately, EVO seems to have decent shipping costs to AK but axles are a real killer. I also need to price shipping for the EVO bumpers. I have no plans to go beyond 35" tires, partly because I'll be purchasing $$snow tires$$ as well. Then the usual trimming, etc. to maximize clearance without much lift. My TJ has ARB lockers, and I'm quite partial to them although I don't find myself "needing" them very often. But I would certainly prefer to have them on this rig. And given the funky conditions here, I have been using lockers more often than when I was in Wyoming.

I wheel with the family somewhat regularly. I've taken some of the trails the JKX did on their Alaska excursion, although I'm not partial to some of their more muddy adventures. However, I do wheel to the extent that I will make full use of the EVO suspension and 35" tires.

From the commentary so far, maybe the older model Rubi is what I really need to focus on...

Thanks again for the suggestions! Please let me know if there are other considerations I'm missing!

jmo801

I was in this same dilemma about a year ago. For me it was trying to decide between the 3.6L engine vs axles,lockers, and 4.10 gears with the 3.8L. I ended up choosing the rubicon. I know the 3.6L is the better engine but I had been driving an 09 jk with the 3.8L for three years before and didn’t have any problems with the engine and having better axles and lockers was more important to me than the benefits of the better engine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
While the 3.8 vs 3.6 is a consideration, I think the bigger issue if an axle upgrade is not cost feasible would be having 4:1 tcase, 4:10 gears & lockers with a Rubicon...

sm31

I was in this same dilemma about a year ago. For me it was trying to decide between the 3.6L engine vs axles,lockers, and 4.10 gears with the 3.8L. I ended up choosing the rubicon. I know the 3.6L is the better engine but I had been driving an 09 jk with the 3.8L for three years before and didn’t have any problems with the engine and having better axles and lockers was more important to me than the benefits of the better engine.

Man... you just summed up my dilemma much better than I did! Looks like I'll just have to live with the 3.8L. Of course, coming from my old 4.0L TJ, it'll probably feel like a rocket ship.

Also wanted to add that this is happening because of the desperate need for more cargo room. My kids (and mainly my St. Bernard) won't fit in the back of the TJ anymore. :naw:

fiend

Caught the Bug
The lockers in the Rubicon are handy. The 4:1 transfer case is kind of handy, but honestly it isn’t a night and day difference. Frankly, the 4:1 can be too low at times.

Oldgrayfrog

The 3.6 is so much better than the 3.8, but I tend to doubt that you’re going to really get the benefits of the newer engine in Alaska. Where the newer engine really shines is in improved fuel economy and top end power, both of which are mostly enjoyed on the highway. My experience in Alaskan driving was at much slower speeds. If you intend on primarily driving it around town, and putting bigger tires on it, you’d likely enjoy the Rubicon’s 4.10 gears a lot more than the extra horsepower the 3.6 makes. Just be sure the Rubicon you buy has the 4.10’s, it was still just an option. Some Rubicon’s shipped with 3.73 gears, better than the base Sport, but not ideal.

DOC

Crazy talk! Much better at the end of the day to add lockers and maby a diff upgrade if required to a physically newer sport than live with a dinosaur 3.8 and prehistoric interior you can’t do anything about without spending big dollars.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I agree with going for the Rubicon. I started in a Sport and traded it in for a Rubicon. The lockers, T-case and axle disconnect are worth it.

Crazy talk! Much better at the end of the day to add lockers and maby a diff upgrade if required to a physically newer sport than live with a dinosaur 3.8 and prehistoric interior you can’t do anything about without spending big dollars.

Welcome to WAL.

desertrunner

Just my 2 cents when I was shopping for my second JK I was set on the 3.6 and the price difference between the sport and Rubicon was anywhere from 5-10G depending on mileage and equipment most of what I was looking for was about 10G more. I bought a sport bought the dynatrac trail leader package, swapped motec for a rubi transfer case and 1350 drive shafts, all in all I'm in the drive train for about 11G so for not much more money than a Rubicon I have a way beefier drive train same transfer case, stronger lockers, stronger driveshafts, and 4.88s. All for only maybe at most 3G more than a Rubicon.

That being said if you don't have money for upgrades right off the bat like I did the lockers and 4.10s are very nice to have. The 3.21s for me even with 33s drove me nuts

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom