Transfer Case Skid Plate Install - What am I missing here?

JayLynn

Good morning, have a quick question and can't seem to find an answer online. I checked a bunch of videos as well and am still not sure.

I finally got around to installing some cheap Rubicon Express skid plates last night and noticed the Transfer Case skid has a bracket that runs to the front of what appears to be an exhaust bar skid. Is this bracket suppose to be mounted like this? It seems like it might catch things while on the trails. I tried running it under the skid but it won't fit. I contemplated just cutting it off but wanted to check with you guys first for advice. Attached is a pic of what I mean. Any thoughts?

Thanks

5-25-2018 9-38-34 AM.jpg

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Good morning, have a quick question and can't seem to find an answer online. I checked a bunch of videos as well and am still not sure.

I finally got around to installing some cheap Rubicon Express skid plates last night and noticed the Transfer Case skid has a bracket that runs to the front of what appears to be an exhaust bar skid. Is this bracket suppose to be mounted like this? It seems like it might catch things while on the trails. I tried running it under the skid but it won't fit. I contemplated just cutting it off but wanted to check with you guys first for advice. Attached is a pic of what I mean. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Looks like the skid is meant to "protect" the exhaust from scratches. :crazyeyes: It should do its job just fine.

it's the rocks and harder hits I'ed worry about... if you aren't doing that kind of wheeling, I think you should be fine. If you ARE doing that kind of wheeling, I'ed re-evaluate your product choice. It'll probably be worth more sold new /never installed/unmodified if you cant RMA it... :twocents:

What happened to factory skid that was there?

JayLynn

Looks like the skid is meant to "protect" the exhaust from scratches. :crazyeyes: It should do its job just fine.

it's the rocks and harder hits I'ed worry about... if you aren't doing that kind of wheeling, I think you should be fine. If you ARE doing that kind of wheeling, I'ed re-evaluate your product choice. It'll probably be worth more sold new /never installed/unmodified if you cant RMA it... :twocents:

What happened to factory skid that was there?

Hi DWiggles,

I removed the factory skid and put the Rubicon Express one on. It was a pretty noticeable difference in size, thickness, and weight over the smaller factory transfer case skid . I'm pretty happy with this cheaper skid for now but am still concerned about that little factory bracket highlighted in the picture. I wasn't sure if it was meant to sit like that once bolted down or if it should be removed or modified to go under the new skid.

Thanks

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I removed the factory skid and put the Rubicon Express one on.

But, WHAT happened to the factory one? why remove it? why change it? I (and MANY others) have hit them dozens and dozens of times and after a little rub with a wire brush and some paint, good as new... :idontknow:

It was a pretty noticeable difference in size, thickness, and weight over the smaller factory transfer case skid. I'm pretty happy with this cheaper skid for now

:thumb: Glad you like it. At the end of that day, this is what really matters.

but am still concerned about that little factory bracket highlighted in the picture. I wasn't sure if it was meant to sit like that onc
e bolted down or if it should be removed or modified to go under the new skid.

Yeah... :thinking:

Looks like THAT PART is meant to "protect" the exhaust from scratches. :crazyeyes: It should do its job just fine...

If you cut it back to the cross member... it would be modified... :thinking: so either do that or don't? like I said, the skid is probably worth more unmodified, and you definitely wont be able to RMA it if you cut it up... OR; run it like it is. That is really the only 3 options you have. what are you looking for? Someone to tell you to cut it? Someone to tell you to run it as is? or someone to tell you to return/sell it?

ME personally, I'ed try as hard as I could to RMA it. simply "because whoever designed it wasn't thinking straight, and I work hard for my money. definitely to hard to waste it on half ass products." THAT would be my reason for RMA... :idontknow:

You want to keep it, keep it. Be happy! :rock:

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Hi DWiggles,

I removed the factory skid and put the Rubicon Express one on. It was a pretty noticeable difference in size, thickness, and weight over the smaller factory transfer case skid . I'm pretty happy with this cheaper skid for now but am still concerned about that little factory bracket highlighted in the picture. I wasn't sure if it was meant to sit like that once bolted down or if it should be removed or modified to go under the new skid.

Thanks

I installed those same plates in 15 when I first bought my JK. That bracket and bar can be removed. Those plates held up well to impacts and dragging. To keep them from rusting away here in Michigan I paint them every year. Image1527272693.904515.jpg Image1527272713.453215.jpg

I didn’t see it in your picture, but you will need a transmission and oil pan skid plate if you did not install one yet. That bar and bracket were attached to the skid plate and if you do not have the transmission and oil pan plates keep that plate to protect those areas.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I installed those same plates in 15 when I first bought my JK. That bracket and bar can be removed. Those plates held up well to impacts and dragging. To keep them from rusting away here in Michigan I paint them every year. View attachment 302244 View attachment 302245

I didn’t see it in your picture, but you will need a transmission and oil pan skid plate if you did not install one yet. That bar and bracket were attached to the skid plate and if you do not have the transmission and oil pan plates keep that plate to protect those areas.

there you go! You are missing the transmission and oil pan skids. :thumb:

JayLynn

I installed those same plates in 15 when I first bought my JK. That bracket and bar can be removed. Those plates held up well to impacts and dragging. To keep them from rusting away here in Michigan I paint them every year. View attachment 302244 View attachment 302245

Ahhh that makes more sense. Checking in to those plates now. Thanks for the pics!

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
I think what you're looking at is the stock transmission skid plate. Or at least here was mine when I installed new skids, with the bracket you had highlighted..

Attachments

• KIMG0182.jpg
    KIMG0182.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 130

Mattmc74

H 20180329_112528.jpg

When I bought my Rubicon the previous owner took off the factory transfer case skid, why? I don't know but I bought this one from JCR Offroad. Super stout and covers more of the undercarriage than a stock skid would.

Sent from my LGLS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom