Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Arthur the brave

Had to go hunt for some pics, Here is one with "Rowdy"

FB_IMG_1527349776794.jpeg

FB_IMG_1527349773147.jpeg

FB_IMG_1527349827534.jpeg

Always proud to say, she works hard to help save these guys, and many other breads/species every day!

You guys, and animal sanctuaries around the world are truly heros!

sent from SPACE!
    DZZ Build thread
    Last edited by DWiggles; 05-26-2018 at 03:58 PM.

Good on your sister mate, please give her our thanks for the work she is doing.
    Rowdy looks to be a big and strong individual. Are there any other white rhino at that sanctuary?

By the way, a bit of trivial information for you all. Although we call the two species of rhino white and black, the difference has nothing to do with their color.
    White rhino are also known as square lipped rhino simply because they have broad flat lips. The white rhino grazes grass for their food source and the flat shape of their mouth enables them to do this. They are the larger of the two species and are usually found in small loose groups of between 5 and 8 adults. Being fairly social, they are a lot more docile than the black Rhino, although docile is not an accurate term. Because of their eating habits (grazing) they are normally found in open grasslands.

The black rhino has a pointed top lip, much like the tip of an elephant's trunk. They are browsers and eat leaves on trees and their prehensile top lip enables them to grab the leaves. Black rhino are solitary animals and are found in dense bush. Watch out for these guys, they are cantankerous and will challenge anyone or anything in their vicinity. Black rhino are much more endangered than their white counterparts mainly because being anti-social, they breed at a lower rate.

Here is a pic of some of our white rhino coming home to the bomas after a day in the open. You can see the broad flat mouths
    Trooping home.jpg

And a pic of two of our black rhino, Badger and Phoebe munching on leaves with their pointy mouths
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TonyP; 05-27-2018 at 06:19 AM.

A quick update on Arthur for those who are interested.
    He is coming along nicely, although a bit of infection was discovered in the wound on his front foot. He is being well looked after with regular dressing changes and is still on a course of antibiotics. We are happy that he now has the chance to grow into a big healthy bull, despite his sad start to life. Make no mistake that everyone at the sanctuary is doing their best to ensure that with much love and attention he won't be a man-hater.
    His name is very appropriate and he is a strong-willed little guy. At his very young age, he attempted to protect his mother from the poachers and even after they inflicted the terrible wounds, he lay there in the bush next to her dead body until he was found by the rangers. He deserves a happy and healthy life in the future.
    Once his wounds have healed up completely, he will be introduced to a group of youngsters of his same age who will become his family.

Here is a picture of Arthur at the sanctuary receiving a visit by some members of one of our local professional Rugby teams. We're rooting for you Arthur.
    Arthur Update.jpg
    Last edited by TonyP; 06-06-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Thank you for the update. It’s nice to hear good news.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's awesome to hear he's well and being taken care of by people who really care!

So glad there are those like you who are able to intervene in these orphans lives to make the best of their circumstances. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Right on (or arm) Arthur...that's how you rock duct tape!

we use a lot of the old gray/silver stand by stuff, Brute. It works for anything.

Thanks for the comments guys, but please understand that what I do is done on my part for the love of the wild places and it's animals. I get massive rewards from just being able to be with these magnificent creatures and seeing them develop from terrified, traumatized, normally badly injured and sick little things, into big, strong, robust and dangerous juggernauts.
    The thrill of releasing them back into the wild when the time is right is all the reward I need.

Young Arthur is doing very well, but is a little lonely. Until his wounds have healed completely we need to separate him from the other boisterous youngsters. He has one of the helpers with him for most of the day but he's pining for his own kind.
    Here are a few pics from last weekend

My other buddy Tuscan

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast