Stability control - Aftermarket front bearing with different ring and speed sensor

Helping a friend - At times, in curves stability kicks in, pulsing brakes, then goes away. She thought it started after front end work which included wheel bearing hubs. Already checked steering wheel center.

Left front has a non standard sensor. It looks the same from outside but after removing sensor, it looks like a 3/4" plug and the ring is like a rear axle where you can see the teeth through the hole. The ring has 52 teeth which seems correct. We wanted to change this sensor but can't find one like it. The OEM one seems to go in beside a disk not on the face of a gear. Right side is like OEM. Any thoughts, experience or ideas if this difference could be the culprit? Note: with this one sensor disconnected it doesn't have the problem but I'm not sure stability control works with only 3 connected.

The Jeep is very heavy and the springs seem weak allowing a lot of bounce and roll movement with non smooth road conditions. I have been wondering if that is the problem.

Any input would be appreciated.

2008 Sahara unlimited with 3.5" lift, 35" tires.

Last edited:

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I can tell you that any front end work should be double and triple checked. Check the ball joints for play, and make sure the tire size is programmed correctly in the ECM. The stability control and ABS will not function without a speed reference for all wheels. So unplugging the sensor does work, but also removes other safety components for the vehicle.

Jeep did address this issue in the 2008 manual, and outlines a procedure to disable the ESC, but I feel like it was a half assed attempt at addressing the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I can tell you that any front end work should be double and triple checked. Check the ball joints for play, and make sure the tire size is programmed correctly in the ECM. The stability control and ABS will not function without a speed reference for all wheels. So unplugging the sensor does work, but also removes other safety components for the vehicle.

Jeep did address this issue in the 2008 manual, and outlines a procedure to disable the ESC, but I feel like it was a half assed attempt at addressing the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ball joints were replaced prior but I probably should double check. I have not checked tire size programming. I'll check that also. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
Helping a friend - At times, in curves stability kicks in, pulsing brakes, then goes away. She thought it started after front end work which included wheel bearing hubs. Already checked steering wheel center.

Left front has a non standard sensor. It looks the same from outside but after removing sensor, it looks like a 3/4" plug and the ring is like a rear axle where you can see the teeth through the hole. The ring has 52 teeth which seems correct. We wanted to change this sensor but can't find one like it. The OEM one seems to go in beside a disk not on the face of a gear. Right side is like OEM. Any thoughts, experience or ideas if this difference could be the culprit? Note: with this one sensor disconnected it doesn't have the problem but I'm not sure stability control works with only 3 connected.

The Jeep is very heavy and the springs seem weak allowing a lot of bounce and roll movement with non smooth road conditions. I have been wondering if that is the problem.

Any input would be appreciated.

2008 Sahara unlimited with 3.5" lift, 35" tires.

Does it look like the one on the left?

SpeedSensorDifferent.jpg

I had 2 bearings with that style sensor, the auto parts store I got them from couldn't figure out what sensor to give me so they replaced both hubs.

The part numbers were correct... :thinking:

Take it back to the place that did the work and have them figure out what sensor it is or replace with a proper hub...also check the other side.

if the jeep is heavy and springs/shocks are too soft or worn out you'll get a lot of roll

View attachment 302688

I had 2 bearings with that style sensor, the auto parts store I got them from couldn't figure out what sensor to give me so they replaced both hubs.

The part numbers were correct... :thinking:

Take it back to the place that did the work and have them figure out what sensor it is or replace with a proper hub...also check the other side.

if the jeep is heavy and springs/shocks are too soft or worn out you'll get a lot of roll

Yes; one looks like left, and one looks like right. I agree, only option we've found is to replace bearing hub that has the one on left.

She picked up some used RC 4" springs at a good price and ordered Fox shocks. We're going to see if that fixes bounce. It is heavy and bounces pretty bad.

View attachment 302688

Update: We did as recommended- parts store exchanged for a new bearing hub. See update below.

Last edited:
Further update: Symptom is totally different after replacing bearing hub to one with OEM sensor. Stability control doesn't seem to activate as before. It now seems to weakly activate ABS anytime you press hard on brakes but there are no indicator lights on the dash. Any thoughts?

Further update - The stability module was reading -1.1 degree/ sec. while the vehicle was sitting still. Replaced the yaw sensor, initialized and no more issues other than an occasional flash of stability light. I think that could be the tires. Absolutely no more drastic pulsing and pulling to the side.

Top Bottom