Off road lights in California

LasVegasJK

What are the current laws regarding OffRoad lights in California? Do they need to be covered? Only if they are a certain height (above headlights)?
I’ll be traveling to LA for the weekend, and wondering if I should be concerned with covering my led lights.
Sure, I could google it, but I like the conversation here better.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

What are the current laws regarding OffRoad lights in California? Do they need to be covered? Only if they are a certain height (above headlights)?
I’ll be traveling to LA for the weekend, and wondering if I should be concerned with covering my led lights.
Sure, I could google it, but I like the conversation here better.

Last I heard, legally, anything above your headlights need to be covered. That being said, none of mine are and I never get hassled.

On the other hand, there are areas in San Bernardino and Orange County that have sheriffs that target rigs with lights but that's usually during heavy offroading weekends when a lot of bros are being assholes on the road.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

LasVegasJK

Last I heard, legally, anything above your headlights need to be covered. That being said, none of mine are and I never get hassled.

On the other hand, there are areas in San Bernardino and Orange County that have sheriffs that target rigs with lights but that's usually during heavy offroading weekends when a lot of bros are being assholes on the road.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Yeah, I kind of figured that if we are not being idiots, that we should be fine.

Howellusmc

You can only have 4 white/clear lights facing forward that are not covered, nothing above headlights. Basically headlights and fog lights. There is a lot more to it but that’s the basics.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
No need to worry really. They could care less if your not using them on highways or city streets. Plus it’s a Jeep so unless there strict it’s to be expected to have off-road lights. Iv never had a problem with mine.

Rocralr

Hi. I just retired. 40+ years as a LEO. On your lights, if you get a ticket it will be big and it is not a fix it ticket. They don't count a light bar as one light. They count the led, s. So if your light bar has 50 led, s, well you get my point. Patrol does not normally stop jeepers but CHP or traffic units will stop you and you will get a ticket. So do you feel lucky??

Hi. I just retired. 40+ years as a LEO. On your lights, if you get a ticket it will be big and it is not a fix it ticket. They don't count a light bar as one light. They count the led, s. So if your light bar has 50 led, s, well you get my point. Patrol does not normally stop jeepers but CHP or traffic units will stop you and you will get a ticket. So do you feel lucky??

Hi, huge congratulations on your retirement, seriously, great job! I’m still confused though on what CA law is being broken. I live in AZ and we are headed to the Rubicon this August with a group. What should I tell these folks about their lights? I lived in CA for 20 years but that was before LED’s.

BaddestCross

Hi, huge congratulations on your retirement, seriously, great job! I’m still confused though on what CA law is being broken. I live in AZ and we are headed to the Rubicon this August with a group. What should I tell these folks about their lights? I lived in CA for 20 years but that was before LED’s.

Basically, all offroad lights are supposed to be covered on the pavement.

--

Basically, all offroad lights are supposed to be covered on the pavement.

Thanks! I just subjected myself to reading the lighting section of the California vehicle code on line and I couldn't find that section. A "find law" search didn't turn it up either. Can somebody save me some time and point me to the law? I did see where I supposed to have the orange front side markers, (oops).
I'm trying to see if the law would consider the KC's as covered. Also If I understand your comment the little 10 inch light bar would "legally" require a cover?
Thanks!

Wayalife-2523.jpg

Here in the Bay Area cops and chp target rice rockets more than they do lifted trucks and jeeps for mods. The only people I know who have been busted for lights not being covered were people driving with them on.

Zstairlessone

Might want to check that Cali has a reciprocity agreement with AZ. If so the lights, as long as they aren’t unsafe and they conform to AZ’s MV code, should be ok while you visit.

Rocralr

Just for reference. I just put on my 50" light bar when a traffic officer from my own department stopped me. The light bar was not yet hooked up so he gave me a warning. BUT even not hooked up you can still get a ticket. Food for thought.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Just for reference. I just put on my 50" light bar when a traffic officer from my own department stopped me. The light bar was not yet hooked up so he gave me a warning. BUT even not hooked up you can still get a ticket. Food for thought.

What an awesome state you live in. So glad I got out of Commiefornia!

srbell0585

I live real close to the Rubicon and have never been hassled here for led lights or any number of other things that are not legal on the jeep. I think you will be fine if there not being used on the road.

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

I live real close to the Rubicon and have never been hassled here for led lights or any number of other things that are not legal on the jeep. I think you will be fine if there not being used on the road.

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks I appreciate your thoughts, we are planning to come up the 395 to stay on the sane side of the state anyway. [emoji6]. Must be great to live in such a beautiful area.

Hi. I just retired. 40+ years as a LEO. On your lights, if you get a ticket it will be big and it is not a fix it ticket. They don't count a light bar as one light. They count the led, s. So if your light bar has 50 led, s, well you get my point.

IMG_9040.JPG .

Top Bottom