ARB Single CKMA12 Compressor tripping thermal overload

kbsvo2go

I recently had a friend of mine give me a ARB CKMA12 compressor. When it was installed in his Jeep it was only used to air up tires and that was my plan for it as well. I have a 2012 Sport so I made a bracket and mounted it right over the ABS unit on the driver side of the engine bay. My trouble occurs when I go to air up my tires the unit will trip the thermal overload sometime during the 4th tire. I'm only airing up from 12-26psi and it takes about 2.5 minutes each. The first time it did it I had the hood closed so I tried again yesterday with the hood open and had the same result. The ambient temps are in the mid 80's. Is this just a matter of too much heat under the hood or could the hand me down compressor be failing?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

I see you run 37s... I use mine to air up my 35s and have never had it trip even in 100+degree weather, but theoretically it can as it isn't rated constant duty.

Have you tried cleaning the filter? If it's plugged, it may be putting extra stress on the compressor.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

kbsvo2go

I cleaned the filter with soap and hot water and blew it dry with compressed air before I installed the compressor. I'll see if I can find my amp meter and see what it's drawing.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yeah, somethings up. I’d give ARB a call. I’ve aired up 5 jeeps consecutively with my twin and it never overheated and my compressor is mounted in the same location with the hood open. All the jeeps were running 35s or 37s. I thinks it’s got to be a bad thermal sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

Yeah, somethings up. I’d give ARB a call. I’ve aired up 5 jeeps consecutively with my twin and it never overheated and my compressor is mounted in the same location with the hood open. All the jeeps were running 35s or 37s. I thinks it’s got to be a bad thermal sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
It's a single, not a twin. The twins are rated for continuous use.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

BaddestCross

I cleaned the filter with soap and hot water and blew it dry with compressed air before I installed the compressor. I'll see if I can find my amp meter and see what it's drawing.

Good idea... Did you use the ARB harness to wire it direct to the battery?

Also, if you've got shitty connections (air chucks, etc) on your hose that restrict the air flow, that could be a problem. I've also seen some tire stems that are restrictive for some reason as well.

--

Bierpower

Hooked
I wheeled with somebody from the forum last year (don't remember his name it was a big group). He had the ARB single and 37's. He said he could only get three tires filled before he had to let the compressor cool off for ten min then he could do the last one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

kbsvo2go

Good idea... Did you use the ARB harness to wire it direct to the battery?

Also, if you've got shitty connections (air chucks, etc) on your hose that restrict the air flow, that could be a problem. I've also seen some tire stems that are restrictive for some reason as well.

--

Thanks for all the input! I did use the ARB harness but you may be onto something with the hose. I made up a hose using standard 1/4 inch quick disconnects but they were off brand from Lowes. I'll try it with a standard 3/8 hose I have from the shop. I can't find my damn amp meter! I wonder who I loaned it to? Hmmm,lol

Top Bottom