Lift advice

double_tapp31

New to Wayalife. Semi-new to the Jeep life. Even less new to wheeling. Most everyone in my family owns or has owned a Jeep. I’ve always owned a lifted truck. That is until now. I traded up in life, losing the truck and gaining a 2014 JKU Rubicon. I’m looking forward to learning more about building a truly off road capable rig. I’ve been researching lifts for over month and I’ve narrowed it down to two, based off what I’m looking for. This will be my daily for quite some time so I’m looking for a more smooth ride. The lifts I’m trying to choose between is the EVO 3” or Rock Krawler 3.5”. Im not looking for bigger than 35s hence the 3-3.5”. Looking for and welcoming any advice, even if it’s not about one of those two. Thanks. Wave from COS

Nate

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

avstec

If you are only looking to go to 35s, have you thought about just doing a smaller 1.5 - 2 level kit. Something like the Evo 1.5" HD level kit or the Rancho 2" sport lift? Either of those lifts/levels plus flat fenders should have no issues with 35s. Just some food for thought. Cheers [emoji482]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

WJCO

Meme King
If you are only looking to go to 35s, have you thought about just doing a smaller 1.5 - 2 level kit. Something like the Evo 1.5" HD level kit or the Rancho 2" sport lift? Either of those lifts/levels plus flat fenders should have no issues with 35s. Just some food for thought. Cheers [emoji482]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

^ This exactly. Keep it under 2.5 inches and the ride will stay nice and you won't have to deal with control arms nor driveshaft issues.

boardsurfer

Ride quality is pretty subjective, but I would have to say if a soft ride is your priority, the Evo lift has to be on the top of the list. I've never experienced a Rock Krawler lift though. I have ridden in a JKS/J-Spec lift and it felt really nice to me too.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I have the RK 3.5 and am very happy... I'm glad I got it, 35's with stock fenders were perfect.. That is until I realized I needed 37's to do the trails I seemed to enjoy the most. I then changed to flat fenders, gussets for the C's and did a drag link flip and went 37 and LOVE it!!! One of the things I feel I got right the first time... Of course I really haven't tried the other kits. I've been able to do ALL the hard trails I've tried in SoCal, All the Big Bear stuff, Cougar Buttes, Doran and Odessa.

I also have used it for DD with a 75 mile commute.. It is a bit more of a handful on 37's but not an issue, I love driving my Jeep.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I installed the EVO 2" coils at the moment and netted 2.75" running 295's. I know you have a JKU and some 35's are close to my size. The EVO would be a perfect set up for you. I believe Napalm ran the EVO level and 35's. Check out his thread. Welcome!

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have the synergy lift and it has worked well for the 5-6 years I’ve had it. Pretty smooth ride, no sagging, etc. I have the 4.5” with 37s, but the 3” should work well with 35s.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I've gone from an Rock krawler flex 2.5 to a pieced together Evo enforcer 3".

RK- weaker arms, weaker sway links, saggy rear springs, P.O.S. rear track bar bracket (they've since redesigned it), "triple rate coils" where the first stage is stacked solid at ride height. Adjusting the RK arms is a major pain the ass. Evo arms you adjust while they're installed to set castor.

I would go EVO enforcer 3", drag link flip kit, front driveshaft, and rancho 9000 shocks. Unless you can afford the evo spec king shocks.

RK springs and end links:
View attachment 302557
EVO springs and end links:
View attachment 302558
Rk vs Evo arms
View attachment 302559

View attachment 302560

Wethy

^ This exactly. Keep it under 2.5 inches and the ride will stay nice and you won't have to deal with control arms nor driveshaft issues.
I will add though as a disclaimer at 2.5" you may or may not have driveshaft issues. it seems to be hit or miss based on shock length. With my rubicon express kit. I still managed to pinch the boot and tear it at the rzeppa joint at the TCase. Has since been replaced with an adams lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

A.J.

Quote from Zimm.

"RK- weaker arms, weaker sway links, saggy rear springs, P.O.S. rear track bar bracket (they've since redesigned it), "triple rate coils" where the first stage is stacked solid at ride height. Adjusting the RK arms is a major pain the ass. Evo arms you adjust while they're installed to set castor.

I would go EVO enforcer 3", drag link flip kit, front driveshaft, and rancho 9000 shocks. Unless you can afford the evo spec king shocks."

X2 on this. Great set up and can just change out to 4" springs down the road if you want to go up to 37's

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

"RK- weaker arms, weaker sway links, saggy rear springs, P.O.S. rear track bar bracket (they've since redesigned it), "triple rate coils" where the first stage is stacked solid at ride height. Adjusting the RK arms is a major pain the ass. Evo arms you adjust while they're installed to set castor.

I have Rock Krawler springs and a friend has the entire kit and we haven't had any of these issues.
My coils aren't stacked solid at ride height. Adjusting the RK arms were the same as my EVO ones, it's equally hard to get a crescent wrench on both sets when they're in the mount.
I haven't had any sag on my springs, and haven't seen any on the other two Jeeps that have them in the group.
The trackbar bracket as you mentioned was redesigned, and is essentially the same as every other kit, don't see how this is an issue.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Look at my top pic. Top 3 coils stacked.

No way you can get 250/300 ft pounds on rk arm and end up with the joint vertical. Oh and with red loctite. Evo is adjustable without removing the end. Unless rk redesigned their arms with a double threaded collar like evo uses.

J

JKDream

Look at my top pic. Top 3 coils stacked.

No way you can get 250/300 ft pounds on rk arm and end up with the joint vertical. Oh and with red loctite. Evo is adjustable without removing the end. Unless rk redesigned their arms with a double threaded collar like evo uses.

I see that, maybe the 3.5 coils are different but I haven't had that issue.
Mine also don't bow sideways, it looks like your track bar is a bit too short.
Evo is adjustable on the vehicle as you mentioned, but at least on my ProRock, getting a crescent wrench on that jam nut while it's in the bracket isn't easy.
I ended up removing them. For something you ideally set once and forget about it, I don't see this as a huge benefit personally.
RK and Currie ends have so much misalignment, that you don't need them perfectly straight anyway. However, I was able to get both straight on Evo and RK.
I'll admit, the Evo was easier to do, but then again, I've never had to change them since.

double_tapp31

To everyone that gave me input, I appreciate it. For those that suggested the leveling kit, I briefly considered that. However, I will eventually want to go bigger as I get more comfortable with the type wheeling you do in a Jeep.

From what most seem to say here, my instincts were correct about going with EVO. Thanks again for the advice. I look forward to the build, minus the expense of it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom