VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - JL WRANGLER 3.6L V6 Pentastar Engine Oil Change

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who've already used up the 4 free oil changes that Jeep offers as a part of their Jeep Wave program or for those of you who just enjoy doing your own maintenance, this episode of the JL JOURNAL will show you just how easy it is to change the oil on a Jeep JL Wrangler and with a 3.6L V6 Pentastar motor.

A written version of this write-up along that includes tons of photos and links to where you can buy what you need can be found here: https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.p...-Wrangler-3-6L-V6-Pentastar-Engine-Oil-Change

WRITE-UP : Jeep JL Wrangler 3.6L V6 Pentastar Engine Oil Change

jesse3638

Hooked
Very simple, just like the 12+ JK's. So the 3.6 in the JL takes 1 quart less oil than the JK?

Last edited:

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
The owners manual recommends that you use a full synthetic 0W20 that meets or exceeds MS-6395. The Pennzoil does.

LOL!! Imagine that :yup:
Just curious. Having never owned a new vehicle the extra step to ensure that warranty will not be messed up is alien to me. Any noise difference with the Pennzoil? I know it is known to be a somewhat noisy oil.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious. Having never owned a new vehicle the extra step to ensure that warranty will not be messed up is alien to me. Any noise difference with the Pennzoil? I know it is known to be a somewhat noisy oil.

That's news to me. If my engine still seems pretty damn quite to me :idontknow:

Boogyman

Good video, Eddie!
Regarding the use of a full synthetic oil, use the best quality you can afford, be it Pennzoil, Mobil, Valvoline, etc., and stick with that same brand. The 3.6L Pentastar engine includes variable valve timing. This is accomplished by a combination of gearing and hydraulics on the cam shafts. The hydraulics is provided by engine oil pressure which is controlled by the computer through control valves. Petroleum-based engine oils have a greater tendency to produce sludge buildup, especially in small, confined spaces as found in the variable valve timing system. This buildup will, over time, cause valve timing problems. Using a good quality full synthetic oil will greatly reduce, if not eliminate, any sludge buildup.

I've been using Mobil One, the stuff that's advertised as good for 10,000 to 15,000 miles, in my 2013 Wrangler JK since the first oil change. I change it and the oil filter every 5,000 miles, and reset the "oil life" setting. I don't wait for the idiot light to tell me it's time, except for one time. After the fourth oil change, I was curious to see how many miles I could run before the idiot light came on. It was pushing 9,000 miles and still no change oil indication. I decided then that was enough, changed the oil and filter, and continue with the 5,000 mile cycle. I just don't trust any oil to be usable at a mileage that high.

A habit I got into years ago is to use my finger and put a light coating of oil on the filter gasket before installing the new filter. One time I had a gasket twist up and cause a leak. Not good if you don't catch it right away. I don't know if the O-ring gasket is susceptible to this fault so I coat it anyway.

For those of you that don't trust your right arm torque gauge (I don't trust mine, for sure!), the 2013 Jeep 3.6L Pentastar service manual states 20 ft/lbs on the drain plug and 18 ft/lbs on the filter cap. If you use an extension on your socket and driver, don't forget to adjust for it.

Keep the greasy side down out there!

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
That's news to me. If my engine still seems pretty damn quite to me :idontknow:
More of a hear say thing than a common issue, having never used Pennzoil or heard it firsthand I didn't know and was curious on experience. Anyways great write up to anyone getting ready to do theirs for the first time. 👍

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
More of a hear say thing than a common issue, having never used Pennzoil or heard it firsthand I didn't know and was curious on experience. Anyways great write up to anyone getting ready to do theirs for the first time. 👍

LOL!! Got it. If I listened to all the things that people constantly tell me on a daily basis, I don't know if I could get myself to do anything at all. The most I can do is just share what I've done. If I make what I feel is a mistake, I can assure you that I'd make a post about it :yup:

Never thought I would watch a video on Changing Oil..... and Enjoy it. It must be your Eyebrows.... they are Glorious.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Never thought I would watch a video on Changing Oil..... and Enjoy it. It must be your Eyebrows.... they are Glorious.
It was the eyes for me...
LOL!! Got it. If I listened to all the things that people constantly tell me on a daily basis, I don't know if I could get myself to do anything at all. The most I can do is just share what I've done. If I make what I feel is a mistake, I can assure you that I'd make a post about it :yup:

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
The work you share is great and keeps the passion alive for many. I love getting the YouTube notifications for new videos. Working in auto parts I get every opinion there is on most things and don't have the time or money to test the theories I get thrown at me.

RockingK

Thanks for sharing, another chapter in Jet’s baby book👍 First change and didn’t make a mess, wish I could say the same:cheesy:

woof359

some changes

s.jpg just did my 2012 after getting home from Utah, my 12 takes 6 QTS and I used 5W30

looks like they changed the plastic block cover on the 16, always wondered if these were for decoration or air flow to cool the engine
I never get into the brand debate, use what you want and change it often, cheep insurance to keep it running good

new 2018 4 cly Camrys use 0W16, bend over when that's due or try and find it your local Wal Mart

Last edited:

stragler

Oil & Filter change

For those of you who've already used up the 4 free oil changes that Jeep offers as a part of their Jeep Wave program or for those of you who just enjoy doing your own maintenance, this episode of the JL JOURNAL will show you just how easy it is to change the oil on a Jeep JL Wrangler and with a 3.6L V6 Pentastar motor.

A written version of this write-up along that includes tons of photos and links to where you can buy what you need can be found here: https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.p...-Wrangler-3-6L-V6-Pentastar-Engine-Oil-Change

WRITE-UP : Jeep JL Wrangler 3.6L V6 Pentastar Engine Oil Change
Thanks Eddie although I change my oil it's good to see how you do it so I know I'm not missing anything...

Top Bottom