YJ wheel spacing

14JK-U

a week ago we purchased a fully built 1987 YJ for off road only use, well me and the wife decided neither one of us likes riding shot gun only so we bought another one. this time a '90 the previous owner used as a tow vehicle for their RV. it's mostly stock, 5 speed manual and was in dire need of new tires. rather than buying new tires for old, tired, rusted and beat up steel wheels we got a set of spider trax adapters and tossed on our old stock JK wheels/tires 255/75/17. the ride is great, looks good and only minor fender trimming will be required. now the issue I'm running into is at full turn (left or right) the back of the two front tires are rubbing on what looks like the leaf springs (it's late, dark, and not very good visibility with only a phone light). when we start building this up and looking for bigger tires what is the recommended back spacing on YJ wheels so they don't rub?

zomblake

Theres no exact right answer because it comes down to preference. My guess is the most common back spacing is somewhere between 3"-4"

It may also we worth taking the wheels off and checking the steering stops. Sounds like that's not your limiting factor but it's easy enough to double check. Hope that helps

Last edited:
Top Bottom