Winch Statistics (WAYALIFE version)

Mizippi

My winch gave out after 5 years and ~20 pulls. I have never been super impressed by it, so I am looking for something different. After reading just about everything I can find....I thought some statistics would help.

Please let me know the following if you have used your winch MORE THAN 30 times:

- Brand
- Rating (ex: 10k lbs)
- comment

In a few weeks, I will update the first post here with an accumulation of the results.

Thanks in advance!!

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
- Warn
- Yup, use it to air up too.

*not qualified to post. Give me another 3 years or so. 🙄 unless the next trip to moab goes REALLY south..

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

duktrx

Warn
Does pulling stumps COUNT? +15 count.
Recovered the same Ranger 4 times in one winter, yep same ditch, same kid. Zero issues outside of the block of ice I had to chip away from the front of the winch to spool out line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

On my prior rig, 85 Toyota, I used my Warn XD 9000 at least that much.

One snow trip it got probably 20 hard full length pulls just that trip. It never let me down, and I pulled it to stall many times over.

I pulled myself out of countless mud pits, and recovered everything from small cars to stuck semis.

One time I pulled a loaded F-250 that had been washed into a creek and was in mud to the door handles. Double line pull, with my truck dug in to the axles and a friend hooked behind me, also dug in to the axles. That time was 10 to 15 full fulls to get him to the road.
Some pulls it only had enough power on the first layer of cable. As soon as it woul like to the second layer it would stall. I think I used it to the max on many occasions over 15 years.

When I parked it, other than needing to be serviced, it was good to go, but it got stolen.

Before that, I had a Warn M 6000. It worked fine, just did not have nearly enough power for my use.

My JK has a Warn VR 10,000 and I have used it 3 times, plus some test pulls. I feel good about getting the same level of service out of it.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
On my prior rig, 85 Toyota, I used my Warn XD 9000 at least that much.

One snow trip it got probably 20 hard full length pulls just that trip. It never let me down, and I pulled it to stall many times over.

I pulled myself out of countless mud pits, and recovered everything from small cars to stuck semis.

One time I pulled a loaded F-250 that had been washed into a creek and was in mud to the door handles. Double line pull, with my truck dug in to the axles and a friend hooked behind me, also dug in to the axles. That time was 10 to 15 full fulls to get him to the road.
Some pulls it only had enough power on the first layer of cable. As soon as it woul like to the second layer it would stall. I think I used it to the max on many occasions over 15 years.

When I parked it, other than needing to be serviced, it was good to go, but it got stolen.

Before that, I had a Warn M 6000. It worked fine, just did not have nearly enough power for my use.

My JK has a Warn VR 10,000 and I have used it 3 times, plus some test pulls. I feel good about getting the same level of service out of it.

I could use my winch more too if I wanted to put myself in the situation unnecessarily...

My winch is in case I need it and I don't go looking for that trouble. But when I need it, its there and hasn't left me hanging. With 37s and decent flex, and with a group of other jeeps, its a little hard to come by obstacles requiring a winch without seeking them out and specifically taking a buggy trail or something like that around here. and usually when the lesser built up rigs need a pull, a strap does the job much easier than a winch...

I've used the air compressor on the powerplant well over 30 times; if that counts! :cheesy:

Last edited:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Check out the Heartland JK Experience, part 3 @ 6:30. That’s a Warn full pull on EVO-1. Impressive.:thumb:

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Mine probably has more than 30 pulls of various types since I got it in 2000. Self retrievals, retrieving others, tree stumps, fence posts, and huge broken tree limbs after ice storms. Still works great.
Warn XD9000i, never had an issue with it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dopey84

Warn vr8000 steel cable used about 20x and still works like day one. Used in various recoveries from full size diesels to a lil renegade... great winch however snatch blocks do wonders

Dopey84

Warn vr8000 steel cable used about 20x and still works like day one. Used in various recoveries from full size diesels to a lil renegade... great winch however snatch blocks do wonders

fouts

I was using the Smittybuilt XP steel cable and used it a lot. I think 10 to 12 pulls one night, bunch of us stuck in the snow. Could hardly pull the cable out free spool so I just switched it for a warm m8000.

I-Eat-Mud

I’ve got ~20 pulls on my 12,000 badlands winch and I would not suggest it. The duty cycle is very short, and the winch has to rest a lot or it gets too hot. I haven’t killed it yet, because I’m careful with it. But imo if you have to be that careful with a winch it’s a shitty winch. I’ll be replacing with a PowerPlant warn

Just remembered it won’t free spool anymore, I have to let the line out with the remote. Gotta look into that.

Last edited:

Brute

Hooked
I used my Warn 9.5 cti-s 6 times in one day on a snow run...and only used it twice more the last 5 years...30 pulls may only be done by someone holding a winch clinic...

Top Bottom