Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 76 CJ5 rebuild- Questions

Fresh Catch

Been doing some research and found this...

images.png

Is this truly the right way to measure the actual lift on my Jeep?

Fresh Catch
    Started the tear down on my 76 CJ5 and now noticing what appears to be the rear axle has been turned upside down?

019.jpg

Why would someone do this? What wast the Purpose of this?

Any issue with this set up.

021.jpg

Drove the Jeep prior to tear down and seems to roll nice...

I'm guessing, but it looks to me like someone did a spring over lift on it. The different angle on the top pad would point the pinion up towards the transfer case.

Quote Originally Posted by jdofmemi View Post
    I'm guessing, but it looks to me like someone did a spring over lift on it. The different angle on the top pad would point the pinion up towards the transfer case.

Completely agree. Upper spring perch is not stock. It was definitely added and Jeep at some point had spring over lift. Unless someone swapped the rear diff in from another Jeep. Does the front diff also have top mount spring perches?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by 98XJ06LJ View Post
    Completely agree. Upper spring perch is not stock. It was definitely added and Jeep at some point had spring over lift. Unless someone swapped the rear diff in from another Jeep. Does the front diff also have top mount spring perches?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yep- agree as well- No perches added to the front diff... so who knows what was going on..

012.jpg

If the true way of measuring lift is with the earlier pic i posted about measuring from the top of axle to bottom of line across top of leaf spring... then that would only put my jeep at 2 1/2" lift so would be no need to lower the Skid Plate/Transfer case an 1 1/2" right?

186.jpg
    Last edited by gfrench; 06-18-2018 at 04:16 AM.

Your rear driveshaft angle looks pretty severe already. If you raise it back up, then picture it at full droop, it may bind the U joints.
    Worst case the slip yoke could either come apart, or not have enough engagement which could lead to stripped splines

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by jdofmemi View Post
    Your rear driveshaft angle looks pretty severe already. If you raise it back up, then picture it at full droop, it may bind the U joints.
    Worst case the slip yoke could either come apart, or not have enough engagement which could lead to stripped splines
    Appreciate the information/advice here... will leave it lowered as is. Other then the engine being tilted not seeing any other possible issues.

013.jpg

011.jpg
    Last edited by gfrench; 06-18-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12