Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 76 CJ5 rebuild- Questions

Fresh Catch

76 CJ5 rebuild- Questions

I now have the body off my CJ5 rebuild project and have a question on the suspension and transfer case position.

028.jpg

Not being real familiar with the set up I have here.... I see there are shackles on the front and rear Leaf springs- measures 3 " from center of bottom bolt to center of top bolt. What would be considered stock height? 3"?

008.jpg

010.jpg

Also the skid plate/transfer case has been dropped 1 1/2" does this make sense and appropriate? want to put in all new bushings in the leafs and a better shims for the skid plate.

004.jpg

Just want to know if this all sounds right and the way it should be. I was wondering why the engine had a definite tilt upward and now see with the transfer case lowered 1 1/2" would explain it.

So with this set up guessing I should leave the skid plate/transer case lowered as is?

006.jpg

Thanks for any help and or direction here- appreciate it,

No bushings left in those leaf springs so what a difference that will make once all back together right.

Last edited by gfrench; 06-03-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Fresh Catch
    Seeing this as well-

"stock is 3" and considered stock height.
    A half inch lift will be a 4" shackle, a 1" lift will be 5" long."

my two front and two rear are 3" center to center of bolts... so does this truly mean I have stock set up here?

If so wonder why the skid/transfer plate was lowered?

If you are keeping everything stock you do not need spacers. they are to correct drive line angles. If you have stock leaf springs and stock shackles they are unneeded.

Fresh Catch

Quote Originally Posted by weck View Post
    If you are keeping everything stock you do not need spacers. they are to correct drive line angles. If you have stock leaf springs and stock shackles they are unneeded.
    thats good- really appreciate the response...

since my current shackles are 3" from center to center of both bolts... it appears that is stock. if someone can confirm.

If stock will remove spacers in skid plate and bolt back up to frame. Thanks
    Last edited by gfrench; 06-07-2018 at 01:21 AM.

Just because the hangers appear to be stock does not mean the leaf springs are. Judging by the picture it looks like they dropped the transfer case because the drive line angle was probably causing u-joint failure.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

^^^^This.

This springs are lifted springs. The shackles look like stock size. The lifted springs at some point made the rear drive shaft fail or have a lot of vibration so the previous owner rotated The Whole drive line to attempt to correct it. I’m not sure what that did to the motor mounts but I would look into replacing them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Fresh Catch

Quote Originally Posted by 98XJ06LJ View Post
    Just because the hangers appear to be stock does not mean the leaf springs are. Judging by the picture it looks like they dropped the transfer case because the drive line angle was probably causing u-joint failure.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the reply...

yeah thinking the same thing and that was my question if the stock shackles are used with a lift type leaf spring... appears so

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by wjtstudios View Post
    ^^^^This.

This springs are lifted springs. The shackles look like stock size. The lifted springs at some point made the rear drive shaft fail or have a lot of vibration so the previous owner rotated The Whole drive line to attempt to correct it. I’m not sure what that did to the motor mounts but I would look into replacing them as well.

Thanks for confirming the lift Springs that are on there... Yeah will be replacing motor mounts for sure. Appreciate all of the info.

037.jpg

030.jpg
    036.jpg

Looking at my 258, to top of the block is almost level. There is a bit lean towards the firewall by its practically flat.

2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Fresh Catch

Quote Originally Posted by wjtstudios View Post
    Looking at my 258, to top of the block is almost level. There is a bit lean towards the firewall by its practically flat.

Do you have your Skid plate/ trans case lowered like mine- about 1 1/2 inches?

Here is the angle of my engine-

015.jpg

Engine mount- Will be installing new mounts for sure!

022.jpg

Does my drive shaft and differential look like a normal set up?

018.jpg

019.jpg

Sorry for all the questions just trying to learn as I go here and to make sure I have it right before I get to the new body parts. Thanks for all the help here.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast