VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - Rancho RS5000X JL WRANGLER Shock Absorber Install & Review

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that the EVO 2.5” Lift that Cindy and I have on our Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited is pretty much made up of coil spacers and shock extensions, the overall ride quality really hasn’t changed all that much. However, thanks to our 37” Cooper’s and KMC XD231’s, we have noticed there are times when the factory shocks can have a hard time of keeping up with the considerable heavier weight and because of it, we’ve been looking to replace them with something better. Fortunately for us, our good friends over at Rancho were able to help us out and with something entirely new!

Made specifically with the JL Wrangler in mind, Rancho took their recently redesigned and ever popular RS5000X and improved upon it with an all new feature called, DRS or Dynamic Rebound Spring Technology. In addition to everything that made the RS5000X great, it now has a unique internal system that utilizes a spring and among other things, it provides greater control, reduced body roll and helps prevent rod over-extension. The Rancho RS5000X shocks are available in stock lengths and extended lengths designed to provide an additional 2.5” of greater travel up front and 4.5” more in the rear. For our purposes, that would mean we could installed them on our 2.5" lifted JL Wrangler and without the need for shock extensions. While they're far from being a set of high end bypass shocks, at about $55 a piece, the price for them is really hard to beat and for the improved ride quality they offer, I personally think they're well worth the price.

In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see a the installation of Rancho RS5000X shock absorbers on our JL Wrangler and see them getting tested off road testing out on dirt roads, rough terrain and out on the rocks. We hope you enjoy.

A full written version of the installation along with high res photos and a list of things you'll need can be found here:
WRITE-UP : Rancho RS5000X JL WRANGLER Shock Absorber Installation

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - Rancho RS5000X JL WRANGLER Shock Absorber Install & Review

Nice video and review of the shocks. I was super happy with my old 5000’s. I bet the newer ones are even better.

Oh and before the trolls say it on YouTube, “maybe you should try airing down next time” 🤪

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice video and review of the shocks. I was super happy with my old 5000’s. I bet the newer ones are even better.

Oh and before the trolls say it on YouTube, “maybe you should try airing down next time” 🤪

:cheesy: I fully expect that exact comment to come in - you know, because I'm such a noob :crazyeyes:

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Great video, I am definitely on the market for new shocks. Just may have found them, and a great price. Thsnks for the info.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
Rancho?

I wonder how they compare to Bilstein or Fox (same range )..... Monroe (oops sorry Rancho) shocks have a a bad rap in our area (they don't hold up on long hauls on fast corrugated surface trails in the morrocan desert;))

Keep the sunny side up!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video, I am definitely on the market for new shocks. Just may have found them, and a great price. Thsnks for the info.

Well, from what I've seen, they work well for what they are and really, the price is hard to beat. Even if later down the road you decide to upgrade to something better, these won't leave you with a whole lot of heartburn.

I wonder how they compare to Bilstein or Fox (same range )..... Monroe (oops sorry Rancho) shocks have a a bad rap in our area (they don't hold up on long hauls on fast corrugated surface trails in the morrocan desert;))

Keep the sunny side up!

To the best of my knowledge, there are no Bilstein or Fox shocks that come even close to this range. That being said, for the kind of terrain you have and how you drive them, a good monotube shock and preferably with a remote reservoir is what you should be looking at.

aggrex

Great step-by-step tutorial on shock replacement 101. Rancho makes great stuff. Just wondering whether the red dust covers could have been longer to enclose the area during full droop.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Great step-by-step tutorial on shock replacement 101. Rancho makes great stuff. Just wondering whether the red dust covers could have been longer to enclose the area during full droop.

My Rancho RS9000XL shocks had those hard plastic boots. They were the first thing I ripped off. Didn't like them a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

woof359

stock shock mounts

the rear lower shocks mounts look like they hang a lot lower than the JK's I need to go out side and double check

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Something we are working on ;)

the rear lower shocks mounts look like they hang a lot lower than the JK's I need to go out side and double check

Attachments

• DSC00498.jpg
    DSC00498.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 34159327_10215600671471164_3790170667190583296_o.jpg
    34159327_10215600671471164_3790170667190583296_o.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
To the best of my knowledge, there are no Bilstein or Fox shocks that come even close to this range. That being said, for the kind of terrain you have and how you drive them, a good monotube shock and preferably with a remote reservoir is what you should be looking at.

Thanks Eddie. I'll look at those when the JL comes to our side of the pond.:rolleyes2:

Top Bottom